Troopers harmonica

I had heard on the cinecast it was explained the harmonica is technically a wind instrument and they had to do things to run it through the synth. I haven’t seen this anywhere so does anyone have the technical breakdown on how this actually worked?

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I had heard on the cinecast it was explained the harmonica is technically a wind instrument and they had to do things to run it through the synth. I haven’t seen this anywhere so does anyone have the technical breakdown on how this actually worked?

Don’t have a lot of insight in how it works, but I did hear that too.  Also was mentioned that it was done the same way that the cello in Troppers 2022 was done.

This would be a cool social media "how it was done" thing for Troopers to get out as a recruitment com'on.  

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

He was definitely playing the solo. The harmonica is probably on a wireless mic that triggers the synth thru "midi". (Several YouTube videos describing this process with a harmonica.)  Same process that has been used for numerous other corps using snare drums, brass instruments, & the green bass drums used by BK this season for added effect.  I'm sure the cello was the same set up.  You can use the natural sound of the instrument plus layer other sound & effects on top of the natural sound.  

Edit: I think of the "Blues Travelers" guy.  He plays his harmonica thru a mic that triggers special effects & maybe even a synth thru midi?   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

3 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

He was definitely playing the solo. The harmonica is probably on a wireless mic that triggers the synth thru "midi". (Several YouTube videos describing this process with a harmonica.)  Same process that has been used for numerous other corps using snare drums, brass instruments, & the green bass drums used by BK this season for added effect.  I'm sure the cello was the same set up.  You can use the natural sound of the instrument plus layer other sound & effects on top of the natural sound.   

He was wearing a microphone.  Don’t know if that what was picking up the harmonica.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

He was wearing a microphone.  Don’t know if that what was picking up the harmonica.  

I'm pretty sure it was.  He even "turned or bent the pitch" as only a harmonica player can do (not a keyboard pitch controller) on the very end of the solo. I guess he was saving that effect for finals?  Or he he did it earlier, I didn't notice it till finals.  It was so good live. Would be a great podcast for the Troop social media.  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx

4 hours ago, Sh0uldN0t said:

Synth part makes sense to me because my impression was he wasn't actually playing. Not that it matters. Just saying. 

But it DOES matter...especially to the soloist who WAS actually playing.  His artistry needs to be recognized and rewarded...as it was.

• Thanks 5

I still have my harmonica from elementary school and am now tempted to dig it out from the deepest recesses of my house just because I loved this show so much

I play in a couple bands with harmonica players.  Harmonica is a metal box built around a small batch of dual wooden reeds assembled via a main lug. Once the reeds fail the thing is a paperweight.  They are all built around one key.   So harmonica players often carry a case of 12.  One for each key. Sometimes 13 for the chromatic harmonica but it’s got a lot of limits to it. 

so it’s a woodwind.  That if air goes in one way it makes one sound, and air drawn in reverse make another. 

DCI rules I think count it like the cello or concertina.  Gotta run it through the elex to be accepted as part of the ensemble. So put a Shure 520DX on it, and you’re good to go. 

Edited by C.Holland