A Dinosaur's Lament

10 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

if you want more money flowing through drum corps, opening the activity to woodwinds would provide a large boost to dci.

This would be true only if the rules are changed to allow more than 150 (or whatever the precise number is) performers on the field.

Absent such a rule change, the financial effect would be neutral. And it would require corps to remove brass, percussion or guard to make room for woodwinds. I have a hard time imagining a corps like Crown getting enthusiastic about this idea. And if you think the activity has amplification issues now . . . 

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 4

Just now, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This would be true only if:

1) The rules are changed to allow more than 150 (or whatever the precise number is) performers on the field.

2) corps remove brass, percussion or guard to make room for woodwinds. I have a hard time imagining a corps like Crown getting enthusiastic about this idea. And if you think the activity has amplification issues now . . . 

Maybe a compromise would be corps-to-corps. That way groups like Crown dont have to add woodwinds but corps such as cavaliers (I’ve heard their name thrown around in the woodwind discussion), troopers, or anyone else can choose if they want to,

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I think if you want more money flowing through drum corps, opening the activity to woodwinds would provide a large boost to dci.

Aaaaand there it  is. 

No. 

8 minutes ago, valjean said:

Aaaaand there it  is. 

No. 

ok. I respect that.

On 8/24/2023 at 8:29 PM, greg_orangecounty said:

It will be for me, and I think it's inevitable.  I just hope I've checked out before it happens!  For the "Dinos/Traditionalists" Drum Corps would lose, it may pick up more fans/interest from the woodwind-bando crowd and be a net gain.  

Dino here. Saw my first show in 63...marched 64-72, judged corps 76-82'ish plus DCA one year around 90.

I have thought there should be WW in DCI for a long time, since RAMD days. What is the feeder for DCI corps now? Bands, not smaller local corps as in the distant past. Band brass, guard and percussionists all have a place to continue their marching experience at the highest level. WW do not, and IMO it is long overdue that they should.

Caveat to me is that it is up to the corps to decide if WW are a good idea. I happen to think it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ContraFart said:

I don't think it's inevitable. I think it would be such a deathknell to the activity that it probably won't happen. People are dumb, but not that dumb 

it has been stated time and time again the cost to add woodwinds is the deal breaker. quality instruments out in all kinds of weather? yeah not happening. repair costs...oof. while drum corps could use financial sanity in several areas, what woodwinds would do is the one thing it's agreed on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

This would be true only if the rules are changed to allow more than 150 (or whatever the precise number is) performers on the field.

Absent such a rule change, the financial effect would be neutral. And it would require corps to remove brass, percussion or guard to make room for woodwinds. I have a hard time imagining a corps like Crown getting enthusiastic about this idea. And if you think the activity has amplification issues now . . . 

and upping membership adds more cost membership dues alone won't cover. more unfiorms, busses, equipment, food, housing, insurance.....the list goes on

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeD said:

Dino here. Saw my first show in 63...marched 64-72, judged corps 76-82'ish plus DCA one year around 90.

I have thought there should be WW in DCI for a long time, since RAMD days. What is the feeder for DCI corps now? Bands, not smaller local corps as in the distant past. Band brass, guard and percussionists all have a place to continue their marching experience at the highest level. WW do not, and IMO it is long overdue that they should.

Caveat to me is that it is up to the corps to decide if WW are a good idea. I happen to think it is.

To me it would be absolutely tragic to lose the power and beauty of the all brass ensemble.  Drum Corps is unique and I hope it stays that way forever.  There are tons of other places for woodwind players to express their talent.  

9 hours ago, MikeD said:

They already have, and still do.  They can participate in DCI (SoundSport) and WGI (WGI Winds).  There are collegiate bands who compete.  History shows marching bands have competed at VFW and American Legion nationals over the decades, and in various other circuits up to and including touring groups, among which several former DCI member corps participated.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MikeD said:

Absolutely it always is up to the corps is to decide what happens.  This is the problem/concern I have always had,  are the people making these decisions doing so with the  best interest of the corps and the activity in mind or are they making  decisions  for their own personal gain? Also, are they making decisions with the impact to the future in mind 3, 5 .. years down the road or just for the here and now? 

Edited by Triple Forte