5 Crown

1. Mandarins

2. Bluecoats

3. Crown

4. Blue Stars

5. BAC/Troopers

1. Mandarins. It's such a driven show.

2. Crown. Operatic, compelling.

3. Bloo. You got another Bump of that Bon Iver stuff?

4. Blue Devils.  Jojo's was every bit of a moment as any this season and that arrangement of Both Sides Now is near perfect.

5. "And in 5th, which is really a tie for ..."

Literally everyone.  All the way down through the Open Class corps.  This was an outstanding year.

• Like 3

Giving my personal top 4 based almost exclusively on musical productions.  Because it’s my list and I say so. 😎

1 - Crown - it took a good part of the summer, but the musical integration of the Jackson/Shah sound to an obviously already world class brass staff caught fire the final week. Everything about the musical program felt urgent and driven, with the perfect mix of that Broken City-ish ethereal nuance mixed with the utter brilliance and power that only Crown’s hornline can really bring to the field with something like Tristan and Isolde. Going into Finals week, this was my 4th favorite show out of the top 4. After Prelims, I was 100% sold on them and they just commanded the stage for me from the first note to the last. Can’t wait to see what another year’s growth as an overall design team brings them. Mike Jackson, you are a wizard sir. I’m still in mourning to not have Mike at BK with the home team, but Crown is the perfect spot for him to reach his full potential as a creative force in DCI. I just hope they create the continuity there and keep all those talented people together to carry out a cohesive vision for years to come.  Speaking of…

2 - BD - Sigh…truth be told, this truly was my favorite show of the summer. I don’t think I’ve said that about a BD production - any BD production - since maybe(?) 2000. 2017 was close for me, though I was too much of a Vanguard honk that summer. But yeah, absolutely brilliant in every way. And musically just so….gah, ALL of it was so goooooooooodddd! The buildup and opening impact statement was the hype, JoJo was an absolute banger, once I learned the background of the French speech translation in the battery drum break it brought that whole section together and led even more dramatically into…the musical highlight of the summer. I’ll admit I was skeptical at anyone (even BD) bringing Joni Mitchell to the field and making it truly work. BD went so far above and beyond that. I literally have not been able to stop replaying it over and over in my head. Hope no one else is planning on trying Both Sides Now anytime soon - it belongs to the team from Concord now. Closing production took some time to really gel with the rest of the show but by LOS everything was seamless and the ending delivered the punch it needed to complete a truly special production.  Also...BD BASS...sigh, you win dudes.

3 - Cadets - If the BD ballad was the #1 musical highlight of the season, the Cadets ballad was 1A. And on any given day, the two could switch spots for me. Hearing Cadets sound like CADETS again was one of the most welcome things of this season. From the first video I found of theirs from an early season rehearsal run, I was sold. They sounded ballsy and the drumline sounded like what I’ve come to expect from Cadets over 30+ years. Still some room to go to get back up on the footing with the medalist contenders (moreso visually, which still feels so weird saying about Cadets) but I’m down with this direction. Keep going. Oh, and flugel girl during Immortal…*chefs kiss*

4 - Cavaliers - Mike MacIntosh (and Clif Walker), you mad geniuses. Well deserved Sanford trophy, and the little nods to the past were inspiring to see woven in to the fabric of the book. Musically, the show was a touch uneven, and at times some of the more obvious comparisons to past memories didn’t come off as well to me as maybe I’d hoped they would - this was especially true with the turnaround Gloria impact at the start. I hear those backfield chords building, I’m bracing myself for that brass opening statement of 1990.  This opening statement was...not that.  (And yes, I know I know G - Bb - etc...don't @ me.  My list!)  But that's just a minor dinosaurish quabble of mine.  Truth is, as I know many of you did as well, when I saw that first Flo-ivised performance of Cavaliers, my reaction was:  "huh."  That was pretty much it.  Drums sounded really good, brass sounded completely out of breath, and the show itself seemed forced and disjointed.  In the end, it was my mistake to write them off.  Because along with Crown and - in my opinion, Blue Knights, who I also basically completely wrote off making it back into Finals after seeing them at Drums Along the Rockies - Cavies production was one of the 3 most improved shows start to finish in the Top 12.  Each of those 3 shows grew in their own ways and on their own timelines, but the Green Machine just seemed to have something *click* into place when I watched the flo-cast for Atlanta.  From that point on, it was clear to me they'd turned a corner, and the show just seemed to settle in and find it's way to be the best version of what it was meant to set out doing: honor the past with the nod to the future.  There are SO MANY subtle little nods (and I'm just specifically talking musically, because of course the visual ones are all over the show as well) that it would be impossible to name them all.  Aside from the obvious charts or trick like Gloria, WSS/Over the Rainbow, Niagara Falls, Casey Claw and such...one of my favorite spots was the little homage to the 98 ballad with the cascading mute brass line (originally from Phillip Sparke's Lento from "Dance Movements") this time with a similar effect by facing backfield as they led into the "Somewhere" portion of the show.  Just really made me happy, as that's probably my favorite musical moment I've ever heard from Cavaliers. 

But my favorite super quick little nod was the snare/bass writing near the end of the opener, and it goes by in a flash - this is just before the mello/quad soli starts working across the field, at around the 3:55 mark of the Flo-cast (if, you know, you can recall that specific moment of where that was in your mind's eye, since it'll never be seen again).  Brass hits a big chord resolution, and Snare/Bass hits the Mars rhythm 2x which leads straight into an (abbreviated) nod to the 92 tag!!!  If any of you drummers grew up with DCI in the 90s like myself, this was the ending that was often simply referred to as the "Please Stand Up" tag.  You know the one: 

Please Stand Up.  Please Stand Up.  PLEASE. STAND. UP.  PLEASE. STAND. UP.  PLEASE!  STAND!  UP!  (to be clear, it was a joke and if anything it was mostly out of jealousy of them at that point anyway lol, besides everyone was already on their feet well before that anyway)

Other random thoughts, because like someone else said the rest of the lineup is basically a tie for 5th for me:
  • Has there ever been a stronger year in DCI for soloists?!?!  Boston, Bluecoats, aforementioned Cadets, of course BD and Crown, Phantom.  It just seemed like everyone was nails.  I kept getting so nervous for that Boston girl because that's such a tough and exposed and extended and famous solo line from the Bernstein, until I finally just realized "oh, so she just...doesn't miss.  Ever.  OK cool."  Then it was much more enjoyable to watch her on Finals night.
  • Bluecoats blow my mind with some of the source material they turn into "Bluecoats" material.  That ballad might be the most impressive feat I've seen them pull off yet.  Listening to (being introduced to) Bon Iver, I had no idea how they were going to translate that onto the field.  I couldn't have even imagined the moment they'd make out of that.  
  • So many other shows out there that I wish I could include just based on the musical productions alone...Mandarins (my body was not ready...good lord), Troopers, Crossmen, Pac Crest, Music City (yeah boys!)

But in the end, even if it wasn't my favorite program they've ever done, I gotta give mad props to the home team for closing the deal and making it back to Saturday night.  Blue Knights...it's been a long and winding road for 4 years now.  Congrats on persevering (especially those of you who marched 2020-2022 and kept coming back) and making it back to Finals!  Trust me when I tell you that you made me and my fellow alums so proud and happy for all the work you did, and thank you to the leadership and volunteers in Denver who have helped steer this organization through incredibly tricky times (yet again).  As always, I Go On...

Edited by bkbass98
  • Like 7

On 8/20/2023 at 8:50 PM, runyancm said:

I cannot tell you how jarring it was to see Poppy's former profile pic next Carolina Crown at the top of the list.  Seriously, it was a double take before realizing it was Vuitton.

Haha. I need to change my profile pic.....done!

Edited by Vuitton

My favorites....

1. Carolina Crown

2. Blue Devils

3. Bluecoats

4. Cadets

5. Troopers

Favorite tune:  either Bump or JoJo

Favorite moments: Crown Set (homer), Troopers lassoing the sun (even from the ground!), and Moby Dick lives! (love that change on finals)

1. Carolina Crown

2. Blue Devils

3. Troopers

4. Mandarins 

5. Bluecoats

1. Phantom
  2. Cadets
  3. Bluecoats (This took a while to grow on me... but I'm glad it did! Fully appreciate it now.)
  4. Blue Stars (Solely for the ballad.)
  5. Boston (I'm simple... if you play On The Waterfront, I WILL love it.)

Kills me to not have Crown in the top 2/3, let alone the top 5... The show just never clicked with me this year, though I still feel things are heading back in the right direction for Crown.

Edited by JustEnjoyIt
  • Like 3

I agree with many that 2023 was one of the most entertaining years from top to bottom which makes this really hard.  BK was the only show in the top 15 that I didn't find thoroughly enjoyable.  So this is almost splitting hairs.  I'm going to recognize everyone I enjoyed here.  This is purely on personal favorite - not performance/where they should have placed.

1.  Blue Devils - Not just unbelievable performance levels, but a fantastic, highly entertaining design.  When I saw the closer live in Allentown I got goose bumps.  First time ever from BD.  Ballad was sublime.  Just everything about BD's designs are so seamless.  They know how to point your attention exactly where they want it. How many times do you not even notice the props are moving, but when you look they are someplace else?  I thought this show was fresh, innovative and emotional.  Bravo.

2.  Phantom Regiment - So amazing to see them climbing back up so rapidly.  5th, 6th or 7th, I didn't care.  They feel and sound like Regiment again.  So many huge, impactful moments.  Loved the modernity of the show.  The tarps and props (this is something I hardly EVER say) were perfect and added so much to the show.  The ballad, omg, it made me tear up every time.  Rach & Regiment have always been a perfect marriage.  The big push in the closer was sheer goose bumps too.  And just a glorious brass sound.  They are growing by leaps and bounds year to year.  If the final part of the ending hadn't been so disjointed, I'd have them #1.  Easily the best they've been in a decade.

3.  Troopers - Man, have they found their niche with modern, angry western.  Such a lush, dark sound.  Loved the low brass.  The music was sublime, the prop was fantastic, and when they figured out how to lasso the sun (even with the technical glitch on Saturday), the show hit another level.  Loved the heck out of the closer, and the traditional DM was the perfect icing on the cake.

4.  Mandarins - What a powerhouse design!  I would have liked more drill, but the music performances were great, as were the arrangements. So many creative elements that just WORKED (Smile, Take me to Church, etc).  And the kids clearly bought in 1000%, selling the hell out of the show (pun intended).  And the cage spinning thing in the closer just brought the house down.  Bravo, Mandarins!  What an incredible year.

5.  Bluecoats - For the 2nd year in a row I was not sold at all on Bloo when I first saw them.  However, just like last year, this show grabbed me by Allentown & Finals week.  Such great musical moments and they move so well.  I still want more drill, and I do hope they chart a bit of a different path from the 60s vibe, but one of my favorite shows yet again (2022 ended up being my #1 favorite show).  They have such a knack for finding a fun ear worm and putting it into the stratosphere.

5a.  Spirit - This show connected with me the very first time I saw it.  Loved the music and the performance levels of the brass.  From opener to closer, this was a great show musically & what a triumphant return for Spirit.  Can't wait to see where they go next.

HMs:

7.  Colts - this was such an inspired great show.  Even the narrative bits (which I usually hate) were touching (like the kid saying goodbye on the phone as the busses were leaving).  Great music, guard and great performance levels.  Also a lot of great drill.  So excited for the trajectory of this corps.

8.  Cadets - This is another show that I was so off-put by the uniforms, visual design and overall design when I first saw it in Texas, but, wow, it transformed and grew on me.  I loved the music book and performance levels. The Ballad was a true highlight for the year, with amazing guard work on flag that made it shine even more.  I never dug the main character (and the dramatics of holding up a pole like it was heavy (though I get the representation), but as I tuned that out I fell in love with Cadets - this show FELT like Cadets.  Nice back to back years, Holy Name!

9.  Boston - When I first saw this show in Ft. Collins I didn't embrace it.  It was choppy, didn't flow well, was technical without being engaging, and the closer was just not right.  They did a remarkable job evolving ALL of that.  The show flowed better and better by Finals, and the closer came to life with the big banners, the ship being destroyed, and FINALLY on the last night they got it right with the whale prevailing, as it should.  They still have a challenge in grabbing the HEART like BD did this year.  I'd say for a complete show that did that end to end, they haven't since Wicked Games.  Incredibly technically proficient and an amazing guard.

10.  Crown - I wanted to love this show, and I kinda did.  The choreography & such of the 3 characters was so annoying.  I mean, Arthur is killed - let him be dead!  I also thought that for a king & a knight, the choreography needed to be more masculine.  NONE of that is the fault of the kids.  Musically, the show had a lot of cool moments.  Loved the echoes of First Knight music.  The guard was stellar in unison work.  Loved, as always the finale & Crown set.

11.  Cavaliers - Drum line from heaven.  They stole the show - and I rarely focus on or get excited by drum lines unless they have cool gimmicks (Like the xylophone skeletons from Academy's Drum Corpse Bride show, etc).  It was also a treat to experience the nods back to so many standout Cavalier shows.  They DID feel more like Cavaliers this year.  Now  go get your drill mojo back and improve the brass line and look out.

12.  Genesis - This show was so fun and entertaining.  Combine that with improving performance levels and a larger guard and Genesis could be on to something.  Thank you so much for making us laugh, Genesis!

13.  Crossmen - There was a sustained vibe and mellowness to this show that was really nicely done.  Loved the color contrasts with the guard, the music was performed so well and the guard work really highlighted the show.  Strong technical performance from all captions, but without enough high points put push them back into finals.  Super nice recovery from what was a very challenging start to the season for X-men.

14.  Academy - I really enjoyed this show musically.  Such a step up for Academy vs last year. Nice to see their horn line rounding back into form.  Some great musical highlights with a really nice close to the show.

15.  Blue Stars - Whimsical & creative, with some nice musical moments in the back half of the show.  Some fresh thinking in design, and less of a kitchen-sink approach with props and more focus on audience engagement with the music books and on performance levels would help Blue Stars move up.  They have so many good foundational pieces.

16.  Pacific Crest - Wow, what a year for PC!  To me the show was a bit safe, but very technically solid.  I think they peaked a bit too early without more demand to challenge the members.  Some really great highlights toward the end of the show though.  So terrific to see this corps now threatening for finals!

I appreciate the efforts from the kids from ALL the other shows - thank you for entertaining us.

After I felt like 2022 was really a down year entertainment wise, I thought 2023 was stellar. Great music books with hooks to pull you in, more musical continuity (less choppiness) and nice to see drill making a good comeback in general (which I hope continues).

Can't with for 2024!!!

Harvey

Edited by TexasPRfan
grammar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1