New G7 Video

1 hour ago, cixelsyd said:

You said "and as if the "white whale" wasn't also a slap in the face to BD (sorry not sorry)" in the OP.  What, then... someone hacked your account?

Larger problem with DCP: everyone takes everything way too literally.

Again, I never stated BAC purposely put it out there as that. It just came off that way. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Larger problem with DCP: everyone takes everything way too literally.

Not EVERYONE takes EVERYTHING too literally. I did I just take that too literally?

(Words have meaning, unless you don't want conversation)

• Thanks 1

so being the guy that got the G7 docs from the room in Indy and helping to share it to the world, the video kinda condenses and skips things that would actually be more historically accurate. DCI didn't allow. the other 15 corps fought back. so while the TOC concept continued on, many of the rules proposals included never saw the light of day. Plus the original idea was...uh....extremely amended by that one person that the other 6 didn't even know about until the presentation started. But them they were trapped and locked in.

and funny how in 2010 this all happened, and it took 4 years for the show taking shots at DCI actually hit the field.

and looking at the field today, funny who was for it and wasn't and where they are in the pecking order now

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

and looking at the field today, funny who was for it and wasn't and where they are in the pecking order now

Which has nothing to do with the G7 idea, but probably more to do with key staff moving on.  Four of this year's top 5 are still doing quite well.

Edited by TOC

12 minutes ago, TOC said:

Which has nothing to do with the G7 idea, but probably more to do with key staff moving on.  Four of this year's top 5 are still doing quite well.

Except three of those top five were bamboozled by the director of the fourth, to their regret. GH stepped way beyond what the other 6 of 7 agreed to in principle.  

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

Except three of those top five were bamboozled by the director of the fourth, to their regret. GH stepped way beyond what the other 6 of 7 agreed to in principle.  

Where the other 6 or 7 allowed to walk away if they wished?

50 minutes ago, TOC said:

Where the other 6 or 7 allowed to walk away if they wished?

I will defer to our resident expert @Jeff Ream for discussion on this point

2 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

I will defer to our resident expert @Jeff Ream for discussion on this point

the problem i believe was that certain parts they were all for had financial stakes in it for them. so they were trapped. i mean they had all the PR ready and everything. and when it leaked well....they found themselves trapped. one corps i believe even did a follow up PR piece trying to walk both sides of the fence.

and it did lead to an overhaul of how the board and executive board was set up, but it didn't favor those 7 with blanket control. it also gained Dan some power. it was the biggest challenge on Dan's watch until April 2018.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The G7 wanted more control of ticket pricing, payout, more control of what would could be done on the field, more control over DCI (a direct attack on Dan and his power), and they wanted to run their own shows their way. They felt they were the big dogs and the reason most fans came to the shows. GH often spoke about how there would only be 7 or 8 corps left in 10 years so the activity had to move in a new direction and operate in more of a top-down survival mode...trying everything and anything.

All of this resulted in TOC shows (Tournament of Champions). In 2004 (??) I believe Finals were in Denver and there was this TOC tour after Finals. The tour went west to California. This was the first time we heard the term TOC I believe. Feel free to correct me if this happened in 2003 or earlier, but I think it was 2004. 

Out west on the TOC tour the corps did their field shows (exhibition only), then some combined ensemble performances and small ensemble productions (like the Cadets little William Tell skit). They did a few indoor performances as well. Funny that it was called Tour of Champions yet the Bluecoats took part and had not won a championship at that time. I forget if Madison did that tour and also Crown.?? Madison may have not taken part but I just cannot remember. 

My first impression on all this was they overworked those kids to try and make a point. At the TOC shows that followed in seasons after they would rotate the lineup so each corps would take turns going on first, last, and all other positions in the middle. Not a bad idea but the focus on these 7 corps was not a good thing for the other WC or OC corps. It was a top-down approach to grab what's left and weaken the lower end of DCI. Fans were more likely to attend the TOC show and not some other DCI show featuring other WC and OC corps.

The members of the 7 TOC corps often had to perform for fans while they were entering the stadium, then again for their field show, then again in some mass ensemble selections, and then again as they were marching off the field. I personally thought they were using these kids to further an agenda. Those kids should have been paid for all this extra work. 

To Me: DCI is only as good as the lowest placing corps in WC or OC. It's only as good as the total balance and depth of the corps and the members interesting in marching in this activity. GH and others did not see it that way. GH was convinced their would only be 7 or 8 corps left in so many years. He and others wanted to get their piece of that puzzle. They were playing a doomsday game of survivalist. They did not care for the other units...or at least this is how many fans thought about the G7. I am glad it died. It was a good-ole-boy network that needed to die. 

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

The G7 wanted more control of ticket pricing, payout, more control of what would could be done on the field, more control over DCI (a direct attack on Dan and his power), and they wanted to run their own shows their way. They felt they were the big dogs and the reason most fans came to the shows. GH often spoke about how there would only be 7 or 8 corps left in 10 years so the activity had to move in a new direction and operate in more of a top-down survival mode...trying everything and anything.

All of this resulted in TOC shows (Tournament of Champions). In 2004 (??) I believe Finals were in Denver and there was this TOC tour after Finals. The tour went west to California. This was the first time we heard the term TOC I believe. Feel free to correct me if this happened in 2003 or earlier, but I think it was 2004. 

Out west on the TOC tour the corps did their field shows (exhibition only), then some combined ensemble performances and small ensemble productions (like the Cadets little William Tell skit). They did a few indoor performances as well. Funny that it was called Tour of Champions yet the Bluecoats took part and had not won a championship at that time. I forget if Madison did that tour and also Crown.?? Madison may have not taken part but I just cannot remember. 

My first impression on all this was they overworked those kids to try and make a point. At the TOC shows that followed in seasons after they would rotate the lineup so each corps would take turns going on first, last, and all other positions in the middle. Not a bad idea but the focus on these 7 corps was not a good thing for the other WC or OC corps. It was a top-down approach to grab what's left and weaken the lower end of DCI. Fans were more likely to attend the TOC show and not some other DCI show featuring other WC and OC corps.

The members of the 7 TOC corps often had to perform for fans while they were entering the stadium, then again for their field show, then again in some mass ensemble selections, and then again as they were marching off the field. I personally thought they were using these kids to further an agenda. Those kids should have been paid for all this extra work. 

To Me: DCI is only as good as the lowest placing corps in WC or OC. It's only as good as the total balance and depth of the corps and the members interesting in marching in this activity. GH and others did not see it that way. GH was convinced their would only be 7 or 8 corps left in so many years. He and others wanted to get their piece of that puzzle. They were playing a doomsday game of survivalist. They did not care for the other units...or at least this is how many fans thought about the G7. I am glad it died. It was a good-ole-boy network that needed to die. 

You have the sequence of events shuffled.

The 2004 TOC was merely an idea to give the west coast a chance to see drum corps in late season for once, and IIRC part of the vetting process for the brewing campaign to bring championship week to California in 2007.  The G7 came later (2010).  The subsequent TOC series starting in 2011 was designed to placate the G7 (who were still threatening to break away from DCI).

• Like 3