CA Department of Justice sends Vanguard second delinquency notice as of Aug 25, 2023

1 hour ago, kathy_serksnis said:

will never understand why people come in to this forum incognito.   Clearly trying to hide who they are, but still wanting to tell everyone what's wrong with them and the world around us.   If the truth hurts, it ought to.

Context: people mentioned just in passing on DCP were attacked with false accusations on other social media. People reached out to the private employers of employees (unconfirmed but a good source). Highly highly personal information shared in one venue was repeated and used just for rhetorical purposes not even in a meaningful way in an entirely different venue, unable to be more specific without outing). You better believe I do not trust not to harass.

Edited by DSpruce
shortening

I saw quite a few people wearing Santa Clara Vanguard coats at the airport in Indy which started an interesting conversation with a friend. Both of us remembered conversations last summer about Spirit not fielding a corps in 2022 but very little was said about SVC’s absence this past year. Other than who would fill the spot left vacant by SCV, and some talk about Mandarins benefiting from their hiatus, something Mandarins folks didn’t wholeheartedly endorse, I heard next to nothing and my friend who is more on top what’s happening said the same. Personally I at least expected talk about where SCV might have potentially placed, whether they’d come roaring back in 2024, or maybe staff movement if there is not to be a 2024.

I’d love to see SCV return, but as others have said, it’s unlikely. I’m also not sure you’d see SCV regain its status if it did return. I personally don’t see any of the top 4 of 2023 who were also the top 4 in 2022 losing ground next year. Mandarins has real momentum, Cadets and Phantom have great potential, Cavies has probably learned a thing or two, Troopers and Colts have fire in their bellies. I just don’t see SCV getting its act together for next year, I don’t expect an immediate return to the top 5, and the longer they are away, the less of a destination corps they will be. I would love to be proven wrong. I didn’t expect Spirit to Cascades to return, and am more than happy to admit I was wrong, but while SCV has a much richer legacy than most corps, it also has huge problems that may not be able to be solved, and this thread is reinforcing my doubts about an SCV return.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

What does recovery look like for those of us that are being told that SCV is making corrective action. 

Below is an article from the City of San Francisco donating millions to violating and defunct non profits. So what I did was look at some of the recovery stories. 

https://sfstandard.com/2023/01/12/san-francisco-nonprofits-revoked-suspended-delinquent-millions/

What we have are three examples. The Blue Devils are an awesome example because regulatorily they are a cookie cutter example of what SCV must comply with and have the same mission and revenue source. 

Blue Devils in this example are compliant. 

Next, we have one of the non profits mentioned in the news story above. They are on the road to recovery, but are not there yet. You can see as indicated they are "Current - Awaiting Reporting"

Vanguard is just straight up delinquent. 

I pulled these screen shots today 8-29-2023. 

My point is............. there are ways the state indicates an organization is trying to fix something than just having to believe anything the organization itself says. 

https://rct.doj.ca.gov/verification/web/Search.aspx?facility=Y

what does recovery look like from the DOJ

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I still can't get over the fact that only one short decade ago,  SCV was part of the G7 self proclaimed elite, attempting to take over DCI and exclude corps like the Boston Crusaders because they weren't worthy.  Whether you believe in God or karma, somebody was watching.  SCV did this to themselves.

• Like 3

OK, DSpruce is one of 4 people. Two of them are highly unlikely. Of the remaining two I think I got it wrong, and now I correct my assertation.

I of course should probably just not out that person yet. When I do, I will be certain and have proof.

I will say however, that closely aligned Alumni with SCV management is lying or is being lied to. I never once reached out to anyone's employer. At best, I reached out to board of directors directly, to communicate with them directly. Which I have already disclosed.

I entered this game anticipating legal action. I encourage it. Yes, it will be stressful. However, I have a list of people I can reach back to for depositions that will show up to court and tell the truth under oath.

Then I have all the content and evidence I have collected.

So I have no qualms steamrolling over anyone that wants to take this all the way. I suspect, the barrage of bull sh@t coming out of SCV is going to have to dig deep to convince others to lie under oath.

So DSpruce, whoever you think I don't know who you are.
How many people will tell the truth for me under oath?
How many people will lie for you under oath?

This justifies my tactics.
The taste of watching SCV lose their Bingo License this year is going to be like Chicken Broccoli and Royer's Chilly in the middle of July.
Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

I still can't get over the fact that only one short decade ago,  SCV was part of the G7 self proclaimed elite, attempting to take over DCI and exclude corps like the Boston Crusaders because they weren't worthy.  Whether you believe in God or karma, somebody was watching.  SCV did this to themselves.

This was totally uncalled for. Try not to confuse yesterday with today. Sounds like you have an axe to grind. 

Edited by Sutasaurus

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so based on stuff in the staff thread and other things we have lived thru....

DCI voted to revoke Troops membership after the 05 season because they didn't get their tax filings to DCI in a timely fashion.

then in 18 DCI basically told YEA/Cadets the admin and board needed replaced fully in order to continue. it happened though with many pains along the way.

that fall DCI revoked Pioneers membership without management and board total overhaul....Pioneer still isn't back.

so where is DCI on this? i know Dan wants to retire, but the silence from Indy is deafening

Do you think there are DCI staff or BoD members that lurk on DCP?

21 minutes ago, Richard Lesher said:

OK, DSpruce is one of 4 people. Two of them are highly unlikely. Of the remaining two I think I got it wrong, and now I correct my assertation.

I of course should probably just not out that person yet. When I do, I will be certain and have proof.

Mod hat here...

Please do not post personal information on DCP about posters. That goes against DCP Guidelines.

To make clear, the only contact I've had in the last few years with SCV was communication by text, or by e-mail. 

Sometime in the summer of 2022 long before any of this craziness came to light, Wells Fargo Bank reached out to me wanting to talk about SCV's business. I stopped them right there (apparently no one updated the signature cards), and told them I'm not on the board of directors anymore. 

So I text Jeremy Van Wert about this mix up. JVW then asks me to reach back to SCV's CFO at the time. Ummm, well, no I don't do that. That's his job. Not mine (I left the board 10 years ago). 

When SCV Cadets were terminated I reached out to then Board President Jennifer Bauman in an effort to volunteer for a Bingo Committee. I was politely told no. 

Then in January, when I forced the question of Bingo Salaries the current Board President Amy Lipshy finally answered my e-mail to the effect that per their legal council SCV is in compliance with all laws and regulations. 

End of discussion. 

Now, I attempted to communicate to two other board members offering to fix their audit problems before I pulled the trigger on my additional regulatory complaints. Silence. 

See............ 

What I don't want................

Is to finally be allowed to fix SCV and then have regulators come knocking on the door with the complaints in hand I gave them. 

Edited by Richard Lesher
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:
18 minutes ago, craiga said:

This was totally uncalled for. Try not to confuse yesterday with today. Sounds like you have an axe to grind.

The lesson I draw looking at the past is that although it seems like they have been around forever and will always be, the drum corps activity and the constituent organizations are often quite fragile and may be just a shock or two from folding.  (Note: I have no reason to think this was the case for BAC) With corps like The Cadets and SCV having been through or being in existential crises, SOA and Seattle Cascades needing to take time off to reorganize and get stronger, and probably other examples, it is a reminder that this small community is in constant danger of getting smaller.

Thinking back to G7, it looks like a counterexample of what is needed. Corps and all the drum corps community need to work together and support each other within the competitive structure. 

Yes, that is vague and hyper idealistic, but drum corps is stronger with more strong corps. 

• Thanks 1