Questions about DCI All Age and Saturday Programming

Perhaps this has been posted and I’ve missed it, but with DCI All Age taking center stage at Lucas Oil during the day on Saturday, will there still be a SoundSport and DrumLine Battle? My thought is a large number of DCA fans will not make the trip to Indy with the exception of those who already do, and if the two events are held at the same time, one event could easily take the audience of the other event. Any thoughts or answers?

One is a free event, the other is ticketed.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

One is a free event, the other is ticketed.  

True, but I don’t think most people who attend SoundSport and DrumLine Battle who also attend Prelims, Semi’s, or Finals attend the two events because they are free. The years I go I’d be willing to pay for a ticket if there was a fee. 

I would suspect maybe Soundsport gets moved to Wednesday? Maybe they do just say screw it and have them both at the same time. I mean heck more people in downtown is the city’s goal for keeping DCI around.

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

True, but I don’t think most people who attend SoundSport and DrumLine Battle who also attend Prelims, Semi’s, or Finals attend the two events because they are free. The years I go I’d be willing to pay for a ticket if there was a fee. 

None of the other events are free. Or the same atmosphere.

Do you find the festival outside more entertaining, or the 4 corps a class finals inside more entertaining?  The current plan is to run them simultaneously.  Soundsport isn’t held during any of the other events right now on Saturday morning and afternoon. Because its participating members are very similar to DCA demographics. To move Soundsport to any other day would go against the reason it exists. To be a low cost, low pressure, super efficient performance opportunity for weekenders and part timers. Moving it to a day where people need to take off work, works against the success that the festival has become. It’s also ticket buyers for finals in the participating Soundsport teams. 

the stadium is already paid for on Saturday. So letting dca piggyback is more revenue for the presenter. 

Edited by C.Holland

at this point, no formal announcements have been made about what officially will happen when. i know the alumni corps are wondering whats in store for them...mini corps could do soundsport, but we just don't know yet.

9 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

at this point, no formal announcements have been made about what officially will happen when. i know the alumni corps are wondering whats in store for them...mini corps could do soundsport, but we just don't know yet.

The devil (not the blue one) is often in the details.  

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

I’m assuming this is two rear agreement. DCA is pretty much on life support. Let’s try this. 20 years ago DCA was full of corps. Not it’s a trickle. 

20 years ago DCI had more corps too. but to be honest, after decades of acknowleding each other at best, to a partnership is smart on all levels. is it too late? Dunno.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

20 years ago DCI had more corps too. but to be honest, after decades of acknowleding each other at best, to a partnership is smart on all levels. is it too late? Dunno.

Well. When you get the same (up to) 6 corps at a show in both DCA and a different but same 6 at a show in DCI open class, it then can only be helpful to run the tour near to established operators and venues.  There will be new growing pains such as finding housing for DCI groups in places that were DCA only show sites before, and figuring out the shower and practice fields in places that were DCI only before, but you now can give each a few more show operators and performance ops in places they didn’t have before.  

championships will require everyone to suck it up and play nice, and will require some coordination for fields, housing, and programming that may overlap a bit to get it all in.  But again, more fans in one place. More eyes on the corps that aren’t in the north east, and you may even get a few more members out of it. First year is the “figure it out “ phase. Second year will see if it makes headway. 

• Like 2