Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

1 hour ago, Bob984 said:

I think you are wrong.  You don't post a complete 2024 World Class staff and then not come out and compete.......they did this last year they ran a camp and then announced going inactive right after that camp.....any such blunder again this year would be a "death blow" to the drum corps,  and I don't think they would announce unless this year they were certain they were happening.  Agreed the trust issue from those that auditioned last year is something they have to work out.....also, the same with staff.....

I hope you are correct. It is not reassuring that they declare themselves committed to honesty and transparency and provide no updated information about their financial and legal status. I wish I were confident that VMAPA leadership is smart enough to avoid a death blow blunder. I do take some comfort that committed successful pageantry pros are publicly signing on with SCV - perhaps VMAPA is being honest and transparent with them and with DCI.

They are not yet being honest and transparent enough with me to encourage me to resume donating to them to aid them in their comeback - not that I have a lot of money to give, and not that they can currently accept charitable donations as long as they are delinquent with the State of California.

Edited by lawdn
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, TOC said:

Nothing about possible probation/penalties from DCI.  Did not follow problems other corps have had, but didn't some corps receive probation, etc.?  If they do receive something, this might change the minds of some who would be auditioning.  Not trying to start an earthquake, just curious. 

Cadets probation was safety not finance. Troop I believe came back as they left off, as did Seattle and spirit 

Edited by Jeff Ream

3 hours ago, TOC said:

Was SCV treated equally when they had two overaged members in 89?  

No because they too were hoodwinked while previous offenders knew and didn’t care

• Like 1

Perfect year for a death and resurrection theme…all they need to do Copeland’s Grohg and Mahler’s 2nd. 

Whelp here we go.

That bit about a possible regional tour tells me they might do what the Cali open class corps did last year and stop there without coming to Indy.

If that's their plan, they need to be up front with the auditioners.  People rushing pay to audition and perhaps signing contracts thinking they're gonna be part of the big comeback and then paying whatever fees to support this staff and only do a half season....not cool.

In practice it could be on par with the "restart with SCVC and build from there" idea some were floating here, but doing it in World Class.  Because face it, they'll want the income and Open Class doesn't provide that.  

That said, if they're taking their big bingo profits and subsidizing the staff salaries to run this comeback, ok then.  But I suspect they'll be charging full price for contracting and they need to sort it out and be upfront about what their tour is gonna look like.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

Whelp here we go.

That bit about a possible regional tour tells me they might do what the Cali open class corps did last year and stop there without coming to Indy.

If that's their plan, they need to be up front with the auditioners.  People rushing pay to audition and perhaps signing contracts thinking they're gonna be part of the big comeback and then paying whatever fees to support this staff and only do a half season....not cool.

In practice it could be on par with the "restart with SCVC and build from there" idea some were floating here, but doing it in World Class.  Because face it, they'll want the income and Open Class doesn't provide that.  

That said, if they're taking their big bingo profits and subsidizing the staff salaries to run this comeback, ok then.  But I suspect they'll be charging full price for contracting and they need to sort it out and be upfront about what their tour is gonna look like.

From what I find in searching, the statement about a possible regional only tour does not seem to originate from SCV. Is anyone here able to clarify?

They have announced impressive creative and caption staff, and it would surprise me if that crew were signing on for a season that did not include Indy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

I hope you are correct. It is not reassuring that they declare themselves committed to honesty and transparency and provide no updated information about their financial and legal status. I wish I were confident that VMAPA leadership is smart enough to avoid a death blow blunder. I do take some comfort that committed successful pageantry pros are publicly signing on with SCV - perhaps VMAPA is being honest and transparent with them and with DCI.

They are not yet being honest and transparent enough with me to encourage me to resume donating to them to aid them in their comeback - not that I have a lot of money to give, and not that they can currently accept charitable donations as long as they are delinquent with the State of California.

And there is a question; as it appears they are soliciting donations and per the state of CA, requirements for compliance with NP status, being delinquent prohibits solicitation of donations.

• Like 2

As explained here 

They’ve been silent for very accountable reasons. I agree with the argument that the staff who’ve committed to stay with us speaks for itself. Lets lean in to supporting the kids who decide to march SCV and to supporting the org to do well

Edited by DSpruce
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, lawdn said:

From what I find in searching, the statement about a possible regional only tour does not seem to originate from SCV. Is anyone here able to clarify?

They have announced impressive creative and caption staff, and it would surprise me if that crew were signing on for a season that did not include Indy.

Maybe after a year off, part of their re-entry requirements will be getting viewed or regarded as a new corps in terms of performance times, fees or more.  Would any requirements DCI is mandating, be made public?  As part of the transparency they are claiming to be demonstrating?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1