Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

Thanks to the mods for the warnings. I truly don't understand why a few posters get so personal on DCP. Or take such great offense when someone questions them. It's just an online forum about drum corps.

Also appreciative of posters who have quality insights or information of substance. Gonna be a long several months of seeing how things evolve with SCV.

41 minutes ago, DSpruce said:

Nevermind this comment of mine, and/but wholly agree with keeping members safe.

Responding with all due respect in the spirit of kindness, but I think but your original post is what the kids call "vague posting"? If you accuse someone of something, (and I don't think you were accusing me), you should use the "quote" feature for that specific post or better yet, report to the moderators.      

6 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

Responding with all due respect in the spirit of kindness, but I think but your original post is what the kids call "vague posting"? If you accuse someone of something, (and I don't think you were accusing me), you should use the "quote" feature for that specific post or better yet, report to the moderators.      

Ok. And as long as I’m here I’ll say I believe the stories added after that comment was edited, am extremely sorry about them, want to understand what restitution looks like practically speaking, and intend to be an advocate with the new staff to be ever mindful insofar as I am able. I hope this is not met with contempt but with some sort of bridge.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mjoakes said:

Thanks to the mods for the warnings. I truly don't understand why a few posters get so personal on DCP. Or take such great offense when someone questions them. It's just an online forum about drum corps.

Also appreciative of posters who have quality insights or information of substance. Gonna be a long several months of seeing how things evolve with SCV.

Agree. 

It will also be interesting to see how many SCV threads get shut down before the season starts.  Indeed, it is just Drum Corps.  But we are passionate about Drum Corps.  

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

Especially considering Mandarins were 6th, and is a rock solid organization operationally. IF they make it to the field this year, SCV will likely be the third choice in California for a lot of students. 

Plus Mandarins have the ‘cool’ factor.  

• Like 3

3-4 posters destroy every SCV thread.  It's the ones who make everything about themselves, and it transcends labels like "hater" and "defender/apologist".  It's like clockwork and accelerates when they're all on around the same time and it's self-feeding.  Gets really old.  I put them on ignore and ignore any posts by people who quote them.  I know some on here are adverse to using block, but it works really well for me, and not just with this particular topic.  

I'm interested in answers to basic questions like does SCV even qualify as a nonprofit right now, and if not, is there any type of oversite or timeline or anything like that?  Will the DCI board address this publicly after they meet?  If it's a process that's going to take awhile, will SCV let paying auditionees know this?  If I were of auditioning age and looking for a corps or my kid was, I'd want to know this stuff before ever even considering an audition or camp.  How/why is there any ambiguity with this

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Lance said:

3-4 posters destroy every SCV thread.  It's the ones who make everything about themselves, and it transcends labels like "hater" and "defender/apologist".  It's like clockwork and accelerates when they're all on around the same time and it's self-feeding.  Gets really old.  I put them on ignore and ignore any posts by people who quote them.  I know some on here are adverse to using block, but it works really well for me, and not just with this particular topic.  

I'm interested in answers to basic questions like does SCV even qualify as a nonprofit right now, and if not, is there any type of oversite or timeline or anything like that?  Will the DCI board address this publicly after they meet?  If it's a process that's going to take awhile, will SCV let paying auditionees know this?  If I were of auditioning age and looking for a corps or my kid was, I'd want to know this stuff before ever even considering an audition or camp.  How/why is there any ambiguity with this

Those are indeed the questions. And with no answers forthcoming it should serve as a “caveat emptor” for those considering auditioning. That’s a downside for not being transparent. You can never overcommunicate. Also, I think we all sense that, SCV being a true “blueblood” of DCI, DCI may be willing to look the other way a bit in terms of how intrusive they get concerning SCV’s return to the activity. Another danger.   DCI oversight is needed here. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 1:46 PM, DSpruce said:

I am not a subject matter expert, source info is verbal and relayed, and my memory itself is not precise, so highly highly qualified. In terms of root causes, what I have been told is that finance staff were furloughed in 2020 during covid followed by complete turnover, the accounting firm didn’t have staff for a while, the org switched accounting software in the same time frame which caused some compounded delays, and the org later changed accounting firms which requires some time to transition. Because of all this put together the 2019 audit took a long time to finish and they had to update each year in order after that. I believe one is pending and nearly done and I could be wrong about that. When the audits are submitted and there is a backlog for reviews, the status online does not change until the review is actually done. We’re not yet in the green to proactively ask for donations, that should be coming soon. The appropriateness of the website donation buttons have been cleared by lawyers.  I understand they showed all their paperwork to dci. They weren’t allowed to say anything about status until dci was on board with questions answered. The number of interest forms from prospective members have been very high.

Two reactions. 

1.  I hope its all true that you - I mean, that VMAPA has fixed everything, and just cannot wait until they have permission to give us the honesty and transparency they recently promised.

2.  That part I underlined is an important detail, and the primary motivation for my posting on SCV topics.  For a 2024 SCV to be the best it can be, finishing and submitting all the accounting by audition time is not good enough.  Until the state restores registry status of VMAPA to "Current", credibility suffers and so will recruiting to some degree.  Whenever a corps takes a year off to gather itself and re-emerge, I am rooting for them to achieve their critical re-organizational milestones during that hiatus so that it is clearly evident that they are back on track, and will be 100% ready to re-emerge on time with their peers.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  I hope its all true that you - I mean, that VMAPA

I am not an employee or staff. In the past when I’ve been baited into trying to provide support for that, people tried to use the information to dox me. I see that the bits of info shared here have made it onto Reddit without the qualifiers. Will be mindful of that risk in the future.

• Haha 1