Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

4 hours ago, lawdn said:

That sounds like a very sad story but one I am not familiar with. I was referring to yesterday's Silicon Valley Voice story about VMAPA and SCV, and one of the reader comments speaking about engaging with individuals they perceive to have a grudge against the organization: 

"Far warning to anyone doing the lord’s work, any attempt to resolve matters with them worsens things for the organization."

That wording can be consistent with an attitude that the organization's mission is so noble that any criticism of the organization is always wrong. To be fair that might not be the case here, but it caught my eye. 

The ‘lord’s work’ is what I keyed on.  I won’t go OT, but the ones here who know who I was mistakenly thinking of will get the reference.  

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The ‘lord’s work’ is what I keyed on.  I won’t go OT, but the ones here who know who I was mistakenly thinking of will get the reference.  

oh yes. we remember Howdy

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As many others have proposed, the important issue is whatever mismanagement and failed leadership has taken place at VMAPA. And then what steps are underway now to correct all that.

The noncompliance with state reporting or operating requirements, for me anyway, is a lot smaller. First, it is likely a function of the more important management issue.

Second, it isn't so unusual for nonprofits to be out of compliance with state rules. The rules are usually lower priority for nonprofit leadership, which often is managing an organization starved for attention and resources related to their missions. (Lower priority not necessarily intentionally, just due to so many other issues seemingly higher priority.) Add in the voluntary nature of most board seats, board turnover, and then board members so often well versed in mission things but poorly prepared for operational and financial management – and you have, again, not unusual situations causing a nonprofit to have missed some compliance issues.

State web sites can be slow to be updated, and reliance only on that for current info is not as credible as you might think.

My comments aren't meant to give VMAPA a pass on being noncompliant. Just saying that this part of the mess they are in isn't uncommon. For me, the specific compliance issues aren't worth so much angst. But I can understand how noncompliance is something to grab onto if you feel disenfranchised from the organization or have other reasons for using it as leverage to pursue some outcome.

• Like 3

Vanguard, Cadets, Spirit, Troopers, Madison, Pioneer, Legends... This stuff is really hard to manage and get things right.

We should be super appreciative of the smart folks at BDPA who have done things so well for so long (even if not always flawlessly).

(I actually shook my head a bit in disgust when I typed Pioneer.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Vanguard, Cadets, Spirit, Troopers, Madison, Pioneer, Legends... This stuff is really hard to manage and get things right.

We should be super appreciative of the smart folks at BDPA who have done things so well for so long (even if not always flawlessly).

(I actually shook my head a bit in disgust when I typed Pioneer.)

Pioneer is still running a bingo operation. I’m curious what they’re funding with the proceeds. 
(I actually shook my head a bit in disgust when I typed Pioneer.) 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

Pioneer is still running a bingo operation. I’m curious what they’re funding with the proceeds. 
(I actually shook my head a bit in disgust when I typed Pioneer.) 😉

From what I have heard, Pioneer’s funds were intermingled with the director’s personal funds.   But that’s not important right now.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mjoakes said:

My comments aren't meant to give VMAPA a pass on being noncompliant. Just saying that this part of the mess they are in isn't uncommon. For me, the specific compliance issues aren't worth so much angst. But I can understand how noncompliance is something to grab onto if you feel disenfranchised from the organization or have other reasons for using it as leverage to pursue some outcome.

The uncommon parts are:

a.  They also folded two corps... one for a season, the other with apparent permanence.

b.  In the YEAR since those dominoes started falling, there have been numerous press releases and even webcasts from the people in charge.  But not once has anyone from the corps or VMAPA made a simple factual statement that they are even doing the now-uncommonly-late audits.  They all still dance around the issue with institutional vagueness, while bystanders and anonymous posters try to justify this obfuscation as if non-compliance etiquette demands it, or there is some delicate negotiation at stake.  I have never seen a corps issue so many words to say nothing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

3 hours ago, mjoakes said:

You aren’t saying that people critical of their leadership are out to “get them” or pursuing some sort of personal vendetta, are you?  Because your words, to me, imply that. 

4 hours ago, mjoakes said:

Second, it isn't so unusual for nonprofits to be out of compliance with state rules.

Agreed if we're talking about small, local NPOs (less than $500k in annual revenues). Those orgs have small staffs, usually part time, and are run by less experienced executives and Boards.

Vanguard is a 60 year old org with $12 million+ in revenues, full time staff, and (in theory) an experienced Board. The level of organizational ineptitude on display should give anyone pause, and the fact that many of those same people are still there, now thumping their chests and saying "We're Back!", as if they weren't the ones who ___ed the thing up in the first place is a little galling.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2