Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

16 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD older, more experienced marching members (section leaders & such) would help teach the new members.   With all the music education majors in the activity today I wonder if this is a potential untapped resource?  

well....most music ed majors are probably marching. and in todays world, summer band schedules and family keep band directors or staff home now where in the past it wasnt an issue. but having actual members teach is a recipe for disaster. want internal drama issues? let members tech members. There's a reason why in line techs doesnt happen very often.

a friend reached out to me on the sly last year to see if i could spare a day or two to come help a corps when they were local. as much as i would have loved to..it was a 35 minute drive...the job and family were my priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

staff doesnt make a livable wage. they get paid when they are with the corps. and in todays world, you can't get many people to be able to take the entire summer off to go on tour. so you need this many people. some only do camps. some can only do a week on tour. some can do a week now, and a week later. the only folks making any "significant" amount are designers or caption heads. and most of them aren't raising their tax bracket just on what a corps pays them

"Not making a livable wage " doesn't really say much.

According to the posts on this thread, this is a side gig for a lot of teachers.

No issues with that.

I just want to know how (per hour, lump sum contract , etc. ) these people are being paid and how much corps are paying them for a Summer Job ?

Edited by rpbobcat

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

According to the posts on this thread, this is a side gig for a lot of teachers.

No issues with that.

I just want to know how (per hour, lump sum contract , etc. ) these people are being paid and how much corps are paying them for a Summer Job ?

Like so many other things I've been wrong about, including my first wife, this may or may not be true. I'm fairly sure while corps report to IRS individual wages, but collectively report just the sum total of wages for non-profit tax purposes. In other words, the corps are telling us Nunya. Personally, I don't care what they pay them in a free enterprise society any further than I care what they pay the CEO of my company. The market is what it is. 

3 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

BITD older, more experienced marching members (section leaders & such) would help teach the new members.   With all the music education majors in the activity today I wonder if this is a potential untapped resource?  

A couple of people I marched with who are now professional music educators at a high level were in line instructors.  I’m not suggesting that for now because the tuition is much higher than the rate of inflation using a 17 year period (I did the inflation calculator with my son’s last year of tuition in 2007 as a baseline) and you probably shouldn’t have inline instruction. 
 BTW, 2007 was the year that finals was in California.

$1,500 in 2007 is worth $2,226.68 today

Edited by Terri Schehr

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

No issues with that.

i don't have any confirmed numbers. i have heard rumors, but my best guess is.....not even minimum wage in several states

Edited by Jeff Ream

19 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

A couple of people I marched with who are now professional music educators at a high level were in line instructors.  I’m not suggesting that for now because the tuition is much higher than the rate of inflation using a 17 year period (I did the inflation calculator with my son’s last year of tuition in 2007 as a baseline) and you probably shouldn’t have inline instruction. 
 BTW, 2007 was the year that finals was in California.

$1,500 in 2007 is worth $2,226.68 today

and housing costs then pale compared to today

• Like 1

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

That’s true.  That’s the variable not captured in the inflation calculator.  

and insurance too. after 18, a lot of costs rose other than the usual ones complained about because of the need for member safety to finally be treated seriously

• Like 1