Santa Clara Vanguard 2024

15 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Are there openings or do bylaws allow size of board to change? Wondering as my old church (since closed) almost couldn’t conduct business due to not enough people on council. Had to have a special congregational meeting to change bylaws about size of council.

Well, the problem is a board that is grasping onto power. One has to be a cool-aid drinker in order to get on the Board. 

49 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

40+ on the board sounds cumbersome & is perhaps too many (although it apparently works for Boston);  and 8 on the board doesn’t seem like enough.  There is a lot of room in between.  

Well it has been working very well for quite a while now.  I liken it to an aircraft carrier crew.  Many hands creates focused execution.  No one is overburdened.  Smaller teams can work on specific tasks.  There is a leadership that manages the BOD well and all folks contribute.  Members change often enough to keep ideas and energy fresh.  And best of all, they fully support the staff.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

I am just creating an account to tell the 3-4 of you that continually post about NOTHING in the thread to PLEASE STOP. Take your grievances to your DMs and let the rest of us talk about the 2024 corps. 

Welcome. The floor is yours. What would you like to say about the 2024 corps?  Please steer the conversation in the direction you’d like. But you need to lead off with something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

40+ on the board sounds cumbersome & is perhaps too many (although it apparently works for Boston);  and 8 on the board doesn’t seem like enough.  There is a lot of room in between.  

Their model is a fundraising board, not a mom and pop operations board. More interested parties who want to go be evangelists and raise money for them, more power to them. They don't have Bingo; they need to fundraise through personal connections and good for them on that. If BD and SCV didn't have their cash cows based on old heads spending their Social Security money on the lowest grade form of gambling imaginable, they'd need bigger boards too. 

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Well it has been working very well for quite a while now.  I liken it to an aircraft carrier crew.  Many hands creates focused execution.  No one is overburdened.  Smaller teams can work on specific tasks.  There is a leadership that manages the BOD well and all folks contribute.  Members change often enough to keep ideas and energy fresh.  And best of all, they fully support the staff.  

Excellent- glad to hear this.   It helps to have a culture that is open to new thoughts and ways of doing business.   As opposed to a culture of ‘circle the wagons & pay no attention to the man behind the curtain’.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

I am just creating an account to tell the 3-4 of you that continually post about NOTHING in the thread to PLEASE STOP. Take your grievances to your DMs and let the rest of us talk about the 2024 corps. 

this is about the 2024 corps. because if they can't get their fiscal house in order, there may not be a 2024 corps. or any other years.

and thanks for coming

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

right. i wasn't saying to be like Boston. i honestly have no idea how large the various boards are across the activity. but given the funds funneling thru Vanguard, 8 seems way too lowe.

4 hours ago, olddrummer34 said:

🤷🏻 to what and who you are referring to. There is more that goes on besides what is put on the field as with any other corps.

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I think it the the board, which provides oversight, which should have term limits 

It is not clear to me why a productive, willing great board member should be replace after 6 years. 

I have been doing drum corps for 40+ years now and while being smart and passionate, I still don’t half of what is needed to be successful. I see board members that after 6 years (those few that stay that long), only have a limited knowledge on a very specific task that are invested in. 

I understand that everyone wants a mechanism to expels the bad guys. But why would you expelled the one who make it work?