Pre-2024 Top 12 Guesses

13 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Interesting state of the activity that Madison is forgettable.  

It's not just them...

• Haha 1

Since it's October and we're just making 100% biased lists here's my groupings in no particular order for each grouping of three:

Top 3- BD, Cadets, Bluecoats

4-6- Boston, Crown, Cavaliers

7-9- Mandarins, Phantom, SCV

10-12- Colts, Troopers, Blue Stars

I think Cadets has been doing fantastic since their staff turnover in 2021, and with some major changes being made as needed in 2023 I really feel like they're set up to spring back into the Top 3. I think Cavaliers are making a lot of changes with their brass and color guard, and that in combination with their Sanford winning percussion puts them in a great spot for 6th. I think SCV is going to have a hard time coming back and won't quite make the Top 6, but could be close in 7-9 (although it'll be hard with how promising Mandies and Phantom have been lately). Then I think we see Colts, Troopers, and Blue Stars continue to fight it out in the lower half of finals and knocking BK back out (although I think Colts has the potential to compete with whoever's in the 8 and 9 slot this year). 

This is literally all just guesses since there haven't been any major staff announcements made yet other than some corps confirming they're keeping the same staff they previously had. I think we'll have a better picture around Christmas of which corps have a good chance of moving around, and then from there we won't know until the season starts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CadetDood said:

Since it's October and we're just making 100% biased lists here's my groupings in no particular order for each grouping of three:

Top 3- BD, Cadets, Bluecoats

4-6- Boston, Crown, Cavaliers

7-9- Mandarins, Phantom, SCV

10-12- Colts, Troopers, Blue Stars

I think Cadets has been doing fantastic since their staff turnover in 2021, and with some major changes being made as needed in 2023 I really feel like they're set up to spring back into the Top 3. I think Cavaliers are making a lot of changes with their brass and color guard, and that in combination with their Sanford winning percussion puts them in a great spot for 6th. I think SCV is going to have a hard time coming back and won't quite make the Top 6, but could be close in 7-9 (although it'll be hard with how promising Mandies and Phantom have been lately). Then I think we see Colts, Troopers, and Blue Stars continue to fight it out in the lower half of finals and knocking BK back out (although I think Colts has the potential to compete with whoever's in the 8 and 9 slot this year). 

This is literally all just guesses since there haven't been any major staff announcements made yet other than some corps confirming they're keeping the same staff they previously had. I think we'll have a better picture around Christmas of which corps have a good chance of moving around, and then from there we won't know until the season starts.

Cavaliers got a new drill writer too, which I think will help them. Actually, the Cavaliers have been making major staff announcements. The corps above them haven't as much, but most of those staff are staying put.

Madison got a new drill writer too.

Edited by jjeffeory
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Hook'emCavies said:

I'm really curious about The Cavaliers new drill designer. Lots of questions, but you never know!

Don't know the age of the individual, but maybe they are a disciple of some of the great writers of today.   Rest easy Hook'em.

Edited by TOC

Ok, I will play as much as I am able, though it pains me not to give medals to at least 6 corps and put at least 12 corps in the top 6. My guesses are not that exciting, because last year showed a significant scoring gap between the top 4 and the corps in 5-8. 2023’s top 4 were phenomenal. Until 2023’s 5-8 show the caption strength to score in the top 4 in more than one caption, it is hard to see them moving into the top 4 soon - I think it could take at least 2 years, but it is coming. Cavies may have the most solid base to build from with 2023’s percussion showing, a little like BAC led with its guard to build into a medal winner and contender.

We are truly fortunate to see the shows these corps bring to the field. 2023 had such high quality, and I expect 2024 to be at least as good.

1-2 Blue Devils: until it doesn’t happen, I can’t pick against it. It seems like another corps has to catch lightning in a bottle against a less-than-peak BD show to take gold.

1-4: Bloo, Crown, and BAC. It still blows my mind that only two of these corps medaled last year, and that I am predicting only 2 medal next year, even if I logically understand why it generally has to work out that way. Just superb in this tier.

5-8: Cadets, Mandarins, Phantom Regiment, and Cavaliers. This will be another crazy battle, with the first 3 riding so much positive momentum and Cavaliers making changes to improve to match up with their percussion strength. 2023 has to help all 4 with recruiting, with Cadets and PR looking like they are back on the path to former glory, Mandarins being the hot “new” rising corps, and Cavies having given us a demanding and satisfying anniversary show with some staff changes aimed at making them more competitive. Even if it isn’t time just yet for any to crack the top 4, these strengths combined with exciting 2024 shows will keep them ahead of rest of the pack. Within the group, anything could happen.

9: Blue Stars. Last year was a bit of a competitive and creative misfire, but they still have the fundamentals and talent and will make sure to give us a show that highlights their talents to maximum advantage. It won’t be easy though, so they better bring it.

10: Santa Clara Vanguard. The toughest to guess, but either here or 12th. Legacy and really strong creative and caption teams help the returning, likely young corps, to make a creditable return to competition, but they find the experience and depth of the field just too strong to make the competitive statement they might like to.

11: Troopers. Hoping Troopers take a big step up with color guard, which could be enough to enable them to jump the Colts, as they continue with their popular “Dark West” shows.

12: Colts. This seems insane, as Colts seem to be doing everything right just now to organically build and grow. I expect their show and talent to be better than 2022 and 2023, but others have “easier” opportunities to improve by addressing specific areas. 

For the rest, I haven’t followed their staff changes to make a full and fair assessment of whether they could make Finals, but it wouldn’t shock me, even if would require a big step up. BK seems like they are making changes to stay in Finals, Crossmen were knocking on the door in 2023, and Spirit and Pacific Crest bring a lot of positive momentum.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2023 at 5:17 AM, DFA1970 said:

That's why the only time BD is 3rd and 4th is on these lists. Then reality sets in. 

Someday someone predicting BD in 3rd or 4th preseason will be right and then they will claim they knew it all along and that it had nothing to do with sheer dumb luck.

• Like 1