19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

59 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

1.  Notice that I never said "no impact"... just not as big an impact as some are making it out to be.  One reason is... 

2.  At the Western shows, there are usually as many open-class corps as world-class corps.  SCV will go on after intermission at those shows.

3.  If it is THAT BIG A DEAL, then DCI seriously needs to go to a random draw for performance order at shows all through tour.  Appearing at 8:30 in the evening should not cause lack of motivation/confidence/excitement, nor should only half the 9:30 crowd be there.  Better shuffling of performance order would address all of those issues.  (It would also equalize the rehearsal time issue.)

You do realize you are dealing with 15-21 year olds who don't care about what "should" or "should not" motivate them and more about what does.  It's the same for all marching competitions and even Bands of America finals performances.  Being last in bottom 6 (i.e. performing 7th) is not as exciting as being first to perform in Bottom 6 (i.e. 6th to perform) because of the perception that it has and the way the crowd reacts knowing you are a top 6 contender.  Same as going 1st at a show, the crowd may like your show, but the perception is you aren't a contender.  Kids like being in the lights, they like being one of the last to perform, and the crowd also responds accordingly.  We can agree to disagree on the level of impact, but I bet SCV will try to turn around as use it as a motivator instead of just saying it's not a concern/issue.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok.  I suppose we can consider it SCV’s penance due to financial chicanery that they need to go on early.    And for that matter, is there any rule against sectionals in lot after performance while waiting for traffic to clear?   BITD you used to see it w/ early performing Corps while waiting for retreat.   I recall guard members who had marched w arm in sling all of a sudden being miraculously healed & working on show.  😎

hahah

18 minutes ago, spacewill said:

You do realize you are dealing with 15-21 year olds who don't care about what "should" or "should not" motivate them and more about what does.  It's the same for all marching competitions and even Bands of America finals performances.  Being last in bottom 6 (i.e. performing 7th) is not as exciting as being first to perform in Bottom 6 (i.e. 6th to perform) because of the perception that it has and the way the crowd reacts knowing you are a top 6 contender.  Same as going 1st at a show, the crowd may like your show, but the perception is you aren't a contender.  Kids like being in the lights, they like being one of the last to perform, and the crowd also responds accordingly.  We can agree to disagree on the level of impact, but I bet SCV will try to turn around as use it as a motivator instead of just saying it's not a concern/issue.

We always went on early.  Still threw it down every night. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If judges are so experienced and expert in the captions that they judge, why would they need to go back and adjust numbers?   Seems like a system ripe for manipulation in case a Corps places in the “wrong” position.  

They still don't get to see the full recap, only their personal numbers up until the point they have to verify.

13 minutes ago, spacewill said:

Look at the ends of your post.

See it yet?

I was going to say something clever about how part of the drum corps experience is learning how to motivate in all kinds of circumstances.  But your last phrase shows you know this already.

25 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Look at the ends of your post.

See it yet?

I was going to say something clever about how part of the drum corps experience is learning how to motivate in all kinds of circumstances.  But your last phrase shows you know this already.

When faced with potential negativity you always look for a way to rephrase/rescope it to a positive.  The question will be, how well can they do it and will the kids buy in......one things for certain, it will be nice seeing SCV on the field again.

I don't think anybody would question the effort of SCV's marching members no matter where they perform in a lineup.  And young people thrive on routine no matter what the routine is.  But I think most people running corps would agree that it can be advantageous to go on the evening both competitively and logistically.  I'll be paying more attention to scores than I have in years to see how that all goes.  Really kind of fascinating to me to see how this goes if it goes. 

7 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes, but you also leave, and then arrive at next location earlier, so you can get on practice field earlier.   The number of hours in the day has not changed. 

No. You don’t leave much earlier because you have to wait for scores, critic, etc. Dinner is often after the performance as you play so early that you need to be on warm up close to 5pm and have to drive 1-2    hours prior to get to the show. 

schedule nighmare were your day is basically a strech, warm up, run through, load, drive to the show and compete. Real rehearsal time: 0. 

9 hours ago, spacewill said:

Maybe it doesn't impact the scores, but playing early for a half filled stadium, before intermission, and when the sun is out impacts the MMs. From someone who had a kid march with a Corp who started the season marching first and then transitioned to being after intermission with the big boys, it 100% impacts your motivation, confidence, and excitement.  

I don't ever remember order of appearance, or day vs. night performance as having anything to do with motivation, confidence, or excitement, but I marched a thousand years ago.  

• Thanks 1