19 Sep SCV Meeting Summary on Reddit

4 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I am not trying to dig into how they account for everything. Moving money back and forth to accommodate California tax law is all back office stuff. The bottom line is member dues and other fees make up a substantial portion of the cost of going out each summer. 

How it's all accounted for is a major issue at hand right now. But sure. I hope the amounts alluded to herein help, of course.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

New CEO stated there were "back ups for back ups" and "backstops to backstops" after "deep deep exploration." He also expressed that he is optimistic about Plan A.

So til then this leads to something no one ever expected:

” and the home of the brave”

” please welcome to the field, from Santa Clara California… The Santa Clara vanguard!”

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

What are member fees all in, tour fee, camp fee, audition charge? $5500, $6000, more? $5500 x 165 members is over $900K Member fees cover the majority of the cost to move a drum corps down the road. 

I do not know what their audition fee is, but let's say it $100. 400 kids auditioning who do not make the corps brings in another $40K. 

Member fees are maybe half of the actual cost per member

12 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Sit Ubu sit.  
Good Dog.  

obscure 1980s reference 

Woof

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

So til then this leads to something no one ever expected:

” and the home of the brave”

” please welcome to the field, from Santa Clara California… The Santa Clara vanguard!”

Big fan of this, actually. I think show orders are reductive and too reinforcing of the final outcome.

Vanguard could always have used some humility and this is forces it upon them a bit. It builds character to perform with the sun shining into your pupils. Most of us that marched top 5 corps had to do that at one point in our previous training.

Edit to add: and for gosh sakes it's just half a season. eyeroll

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Big fan of this, actually. I think show orders are reductive and too reinforcing of the final outcome.

Vanguard could always have used some humility and this is forces it upon them a bit. It builds character to perform with the sun shining into your pupils. Most of us that marched top 5 corps had to do that at one point in our previous training.

Edit to add: and for gosh sakes it's just half a season. eyeroll

A few corps could learn humility. 

The amount of kids I talked to over the years that only marched x in the top 3 telling me “I could never march *insert non finalist corps*. They don’t get enough applause or fans in the stands.”

🙄

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

A few corps could learn humility. 

The amount of kids I talked to over the years that only marched x in the top 3 telling me “I could never march *insert non finalist corps*. They don’t get enough applause or fans in the stands.”

🙄

We were never a finalist Corps.  And no one had more fun than I.   

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Member fees are maybe half of the actual cost per member

I believe it is more than half, but even half is a lot more than 'very little' which was stated in the post to which I was responding. 

2 minutes ago, mcjordansc said:

I believe it is more than half, but even half is a lot more than 'very little' which was stated in the post to which I was responding. 

My apologies for the word choice. My point was that member fees are not really income and still a loss for the corps