Maybe What is Needed....

Safety and Security Team for each corps!

Each corps hire a team to keep watch over corps members as well as staff. One on one meetings with adult and MM should only happen with a Safety and Security team member present. Kind of like, member doesn't meet one on one with a staff member without representation. Also making sure MM's are safe on tour from outside issues.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Each corps hire a team to keep watch over corps members as well as staff. One on one meetings with adult and MM should only happen with a Safety and Security team member present. Kind of like, member doesn't meet one on one with a staff member without representation. Also making sure MM's are safe on tour from outside issues.

Not a bad idea.  

There are those who say Corps can’t afford it.  Maybe DCI skims $ off what they pass to Corps at end of season & centrally funds it?  

And all Corps would need such teams - not just WC, but OC as well. 

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

Are you talking about permanent dedicated staff from outside of any individual corps' own hiring who would be 100% focused on member safety?  Would the DCI front office set that up and pay for it (rhetorical question)?  Anything else is just corps policing themselves which is the real underlying problem, IMO.  

But yeah, I would always want another staff member with me when I meet with a student about something important.  And on a side note, I never meet with any student one on one behind closed doors.  Why would anybody who supervises youth take that risk no matter how mundane they think an issue might be?

Edited by Lance
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, Keith Hall said:

Usual policy of places that deal with children/youth is no one (adult) and one (youth) being together period. Always have 2 adults so there is a witness. No need to hire someone outside for this. And the adults are trained and had proper background checks

There was a time when this task was performed by parents of corps members that went on tour and it was done effectively.  I assume those days are gone like G-bugles?  That's too bad because this would add yet another expense and make the cost to march even higher. 

And if a kid can't be spoken to by a corps staff member one-on-one without some sort of "representative" present should the activity exist anymore?  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keith Hall said:

Brilliant!!! We shall call them “chaperones”.  😂  Believe me, I’ve had some former band parents that would keep every one in line. Some of them scared me… 

• Like 4

So how many marching members, staff, volunteers, management go on tour during the summer. And how many separate groups are there during the practice day. 
IOW going to need a lot of people to hire for an outside group to be viable.

17 minutes ago, greg_orangecounty said:

And if a kid can't be spoken to by a corps staff member one-on-one without some sort of "representative" present should the activity exist anymore?  

Not really. It just covers your butt against false accusations of wrongdoing. I read that Ronald Reagan had this same policy. Nearly back in your day haha. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1