Maybe What is Needed....

12 hours ago, craiga said:

Even unpaid volunteers now need to fill out full applications and undergo full background checks including fingerprinting.  Gone are the days when some random person can show up and volunteer. 

Jim did every year he volunteered.  Little did he know that the fox was running the henhouse. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Tim K said:

I understand about background checks for volunteers and agree they are necessary, but I never mentioned that in my comments because I believe it is already the case with most corps. Regarding staff and volunteers, I believe it is important to keep staff and volunteers to a manageable number for supervision and having clear boundaries is crucial.

The application process I am referring to is for marching members. I know no process is fool proof, but when you hear that someone who exhibits problematic behavior in one corps marches with another and often better corps the next year, bullying behavior was ignored because of talent or connections, or a person who just can’t handle the experience and often becomes a target, I wonder how some marching members are vetted. I do believe that the majority, I would even venture to say well over 90% of kids who march are hard working, talented, motivated individuals who attend top colleges and universities, and from what I see these kids are usually polite and friendly, these folks will have no problem with a thorough application process. That being said, something has to be done to discover potential problems. We’re not doing any kid a favor by ignoring problematic behavior just to win a show or accept someone just to fill a bus seat. It’s not fair to the other marching members and it’s not fair to the young person in question.

I’d like to see DCI have a list of problem staff also. But as that doesn’t seem to be occurring not holding my breath of list of problem members. Also with so many marchers only doing one season their behavior would come out the only year they are in a corps.

I do like your idea, just pointing out the bad sides

Edited by JimF-LowBari

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim did every year he volunteered.  Little did he know that the fox was running the henhouse. 

Where was the fingerprinting done. I did child safety background check years back and was paperwork only.

Of course being a DoD employee my fingerprints and security info are already on file. Kris had a cousin who worked in the FBI. We were joking around and he said “when I get back to work I’m going to check your file”. My in laws were “the FBI has a file on you?”. 😱

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Where was the fingerprinting done. I did child safety background check years back and was paperwork only.

Of course being a DoD employee my fingerprints and security info are already on file. Kris had a cousin who worked in the FBI. We were joking around and he said “when I get back to work I’m going to check your file”. My in laws were “the FBI has a file on you?”. 😱

No idea but he has the highest security clearance a civilian can get for his job so his prints are on record already. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I know in NJ you need fingerprinting to work in a school position. I had mine done at a state site when I was becoming a substitute teacher 5 years ago. I had them taken way back (mid 90's) at our local police station when I was working with the marching band. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

No idea but he has the highest security clearance a civilian can get for his job so his prints are on record already. 

Had a clearance almost all of my years also. Lol I got fingerprinted at the guard HQ of the Navy depot I worked at. Part of new employee orientation first day of work. 😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MikeD said:

I know in NJ you need fingerprinting to work in a school position. I had mine done at a state site when I was becoming a substitute teacher 5 years ago. I had them taken way back (mid 90's) at our local police station when I was working with the marching band. 

Here in Maine, I have to be re-fingerprinted with a full Criminal History Records Check by the State Police every five years.  Although I am paid, any volunteers we may have must do the same thing...even 18 year old recent grads who simply help transport props to the field.  Just getting fingerprinted isn't enough....it takes several weeks to get the certificate and one literally cannot step foot on the field or get on a bus without it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MikeD said:

PA too

In our state, all educators, support personnel, & volunteers have to be finger printed with a background check.  What doesn't make sense is how a school system will dismiss an employee, "pink-slipped" for what ever reason, but then give them a glowing recommendation to another school system. 🤷‍♂️ 

On 10/11/2023 at 8:00 AM, Keith Hall said:

Safety and Security Team for each corps!

Each corps hire a team to keep watch over corps members as well as staff. One on one meetings with adult and MM should only happen with a Safety and Security team member present. Kind of like, member doesn't meet one on one with a staff member without representation. Also making sure MM's are safe on tour from outside issues.

The Mike Pence approach is advised. NEVER be alone with a minor, student, or anyone who can make claims against you for sexual assault or abuse.

• Like 2