Cadets Suspend for 2024

19 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

How do you stay local without shows where you can perform? 

And,  if you stay local,  you still have to house and feed the members all summer. In our current society, putting all these kids in private homes like we used to won't fly.

Edited by craiga
Sp
  • Like 1

Just now, ContraFart said:

How does that happen? Off the top of my head there are only 3 states with more than one drum corps. So we create 100 local corps out of thin air?

Yea. I know. That’s the challenge. Drum corps has lost the connection with communities due to the large loss of corps. World Class thumbing their collective noses over Open hasn’t helped. It’s coming down to a select few relevant corps. I hope it’s remains sustainable, but at some point it may not be. 

6 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

How do you stay local without shows where you can perform? 

Or without the corps.  The regional model’s ship has sailed. Even with the addition of the all age corps into the fold, you’re still going to have to have enough corps for a show.

One thing I’ve learned from being older is that you can’t put the toothpaste back into the tube.  You have to find a way to preserve and build upon what is left. Solutions. I don’t have them. That’s way above my pay grade.  I’m hoping that  the new CEO has a lot of solutions. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Yes electronics have costs. Props too. The big issue for props is extra fleet to transport them. More vehicles, more drivers, more fuel costs.

You would think maybe if the difference between going on tour and folding is one tractor trailer, they would scale down their design so it's not needed. 

42 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t think it’s props and electronics.  I believe it’s food and housing and fuel. 

Now hauling extra props does add to truck and fuel costs 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

Everything adds cost, but in perspective, how much is that cost?  Using the SOA numbers, it's not much in the grand scheme

Well you need an extra truck for props. So you have the vehicle cost, fuel, driver and insurance. That’s not lumped under production costs on a budget. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, craiga said:

And,  if you stay local,  you still have to house and feed the members all summer. In our current society, putting all these kids in private homes like we used to won't fly.

Exactly. And bus bills now are daily regardless of if the busses move or not

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Now hauling extra props does add to truck and fuel costs 

That’s true. Every vehicle that is hauled is going to use fuel.  And a lot of it. Jim said it was stunning how much every fuel stop was when he toured with Cadets.

He drove “Taco”.  The pickup and trailer that had the electronics. Ironically. 

Edited by Terri Schehr