Cadets Suspend for 2024

I gave my idea. All I hear from y’all is how it can’t be done. I hear no other ideas. This has been the DCP model forever.   Anyway, 
Back to the future is the only way to go. Regional model means, stay within your northeast, midwest, west, south home area. Or approximations of that. No shows?  Build shows. Eliminate the regionals. Build corps with local kids. House them with hosts. Practice locally. If the overriding expense is travel and housing then attack it with significantly less travel and more creative, cheaper housing. Then All corps meet one time per year, at finals week. The excitement!!  The only thing that would prevent this is the “it can’t be done” attitude.   If my idea lacks merit, I look forward to reading yours. 

Edited by HockeyDad

23 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Yea. I know. That’s the challenge. Drum corps has lost the connection with communities due to the large loss of corps. World Class thumbing their collective noses over Open hasn’t helped. It’s coming down to a select few relevant corps. I hope it’s remains sustainable, but at some point it may not be. 

Drum corps lost its connection to the community because communities got more diverse with many more things to do. Trying to turn back the clock now isn’t the miracle solution many think. The world has changed 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

You would think maybe if the difference between going on tour and folding is one tractor trailer, they would scale down their design so it's not needed. 

It’s so many things combined but every little bit that adds cost should be looked at. Creative too often wags the financial tail 

47 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

I've been trying to think of a corps that hasn't been so visible in the offseason. But that may not matter, as Cadets tweet this the day they made their announcement:

So did they announce the 2024 auditions & the 2024 tour suspension all on the same day?  On Friday the 13th?   

• Sad 1

Just now, HockeyDad said:

I gave my idea. All I hear from y’all is how it can’t be done. I hear no other ideas. This has been the DCP model forever.   Anyway, 
Back to the future is the only way to go. Regional means, northeast, midwest, west, south. Or approximations of that. No shows?  Build shows. Eliminate regionals. Build corps with local kids. House them with hosts. Practice locally. If the overriding expense is travel and housing then attack it!   All corps meet one time per year, at finals week. The excitement!!  The only thing that would prevent this is the “it can’t be done” attitude.   If my idea lacks merit, I look forward to reading yours. 

The regional model would have to be rebuilt. Not by us old guys, but the young people have to pick up the gauntlet. 

It’s pointless for us to argue about if it was broken or not twenty years ago.  Maybe it was or maybe it just needed different leadership.  I can’t say but we did lose a lot of corps in the Midwest after the demise of DCM. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Back to the future is the only way to go. Regional model means, stay within your northeast, midwest, west, south home area. Or approximations of that. No shows?  Build shows. Eliminate the regionals. Build corps with local kids. House them with hosts. Practice locally. If the overriding expense is travel and housing then attack it with significantly less travel and more creative, cheaper housing. Then All corps meet one time per year, at finals week. The excitement!!  The only thing that would prevent this is the “it can’t be done” attitude.   If my idea lacks merit, I look forward to reading yours. 

Regional has appeal but a whole set of issues needed to figured out before a full tilt happens. Because you still have to house and feed the kids and busses are billed by the day, moving or not. Some regions don’t have enough corps to make it work. Even in the DCE days, spirit, Suncoast or Magic still had to come up the northeast. There’s some merits to facets of the regional model but it’s not the miracle solution. Cause starting new corps ain’t cheap

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

So SOA performs by themselves all summer? Troopers too? You can't have a regional model with only one corps in a region.

3 minutes ago, ContraFart said:

So SOA performs by themselves all summer? Troopers too? You can't have a regional model with only one corps in a region.

It would definitely have to be rebuilt. There’s a corps in Utah now.  I believe there’s a startup group in Idaho.  Blue Knights.  It would take time and patience and I’m not sure that’s in large supply for an activity that generally (a handful do) doesn’t do a whole lot of planning for the future.