Cadets Suspend for 2024

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Drum corps lost its connection to the community because communities got more diverse with many more things to do. Trying to turn back the clock now isn’t the miracle solution many think. The world has changed 

That and the groups sponsoring a lot of the corps either went under or found cheaper ways to support youth. For example youth soccer took off when my nephews were in elementary school. Big reason was cheaper equipment and could have more kids playing. Figuring cost of equipment only for a local corps and 😱. Any sponsors would look for a better alternative 

Edited by JimF-LowBari

56 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

One thing I’ve learned from being older is that you can’t put the toothpaste back into the tube.  You have to find a way to preserve and build upon what is left. Solutions. I don’t have them. 

Went through this some years back. Went to a city church that was going downhill. New minister wanted to know how to reverse this and had lot of meetings with experts from synod which I attended.

Bottom line: unless you can change society nothing could be done to reverse the slide. all you can do is accept it and work on ways to either prolong things and/or do the best with what you have. 

Thing about these experiences a lot when reading about problems in DCI/DCA.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cadet Guardy said:

How does alumni not get an “urgent assistance” email or this not made a “dire situation” in advance when there was ample time for a remote possibility?! As a corporate exec myself, ALL of the top is to blame and heads should roll. What an embarrassing #### show.

As an alumni, I’m heartbroken and furious at the same time how this was so mismanaged and communicated. Had any of us alumni known the actual current state, we could have, would have, made a difference. 

Cmon now, as a “corporate exec” you should be smart enough to understand that every corps is hurting year to year. If they aren’t meeting fundraising goals there is only so much they can do. Can’t send out a “911 - Save the Corps” email every single season. If it wasn’t this year, was going to be next. If people need that to donate, that’s a people problem.

The drum corps community (and society in general) acts like they are so supportive, but most people aren’t donating or volunteering until it’s the worst case scenario.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TenHut said:

No. Gas price has doubled, inflation out of control. 

Blame awful politicians and DCI refusing to change the model.

Here’s a hot take… I feel like there was a Rubicon that was crossed in 2016 because of the bluecoats. I like the organization of enjoy their shows but what they did in 2016 with all the extra things on the field i.e. the big skateboard ramps, and all the extra equipment they had. That stuff cost money both to purchase and carry around, they were rewarded for that but then it became. Let’s keep up with the Joneses and the activity we saw scaffolding, huge ramps, platforms, any number of things obviously the stuff has to be carried around and maintained along with all the electronics. Probably not a popular opinion, but it seem like the measuring stick changed to try to keep up with that sort of thing.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, scout9193 said:

Here’s a hot take… I feel like there was a Rubicon that was crossed in 2016 because of the bluecoats. I like the organization of enjoy their shows but what they did in 2016 with all the extra things on the field i.e. the big skateboard ramps, and all the extra equipment they had. That stuff cost money both to purchase and carry around, they were rewarded for that but then it became. Let’s keep up with the Joneses and the activity we saw scaffolding, huge ramps, platforms, any number of things obviously the stuff has to be carried around and maintained along with all the electronics. Probably not a popular opinion, but it seem like the measuring stick changed to try to keep up with that sort of thing.

Ironic to blame the Bluecoats. Everyone know it’s always the Devils’ fault. 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, ContraFart said:

Now it's just going to be brain dead takes on why electronics and props are the ruin of drum corps. 

that is absolutely part of this equation because you can’t take those two items in isolation. There’s a cost involved to purchase, maintain and transport, as well as a cost in personnel of those not on the field to do the same.

Edited by scout9193
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Sometimes you need to tell the vocal minority to shut up. Their #####ing brings nothing to the table. The activity was going to evolve with or without them. 

In the past 12 hours I think I have seen at least 4 dozen comments on social media on how props and electronics are the reason why corps fold and that is just brain dead wrong. If you want to have a serious conversation about the activity, at least understand the issue.

Brain dead wrong? You’re brain dead if you don’t think they add a substantial cost.

1 hour ago, ContraFart said:

Sometimes you need to tell the vocal minority to shut up. Their #####ing brings nothing to the table. The activity was going to evolve with or without them. 

In the past 12 hours I think I have seen at least 4 dozen comments on social media on how props and electronics are the reason why corps fold and that is just brain dead wrong. If you want to have a serious conversation about the activity, at least understand the issue.

If you want to have a serious conversation, telling people to "shut up" is a funny way to start it off.

I understand the issue fully.  Drum corps is wicked expensive.  Some of that expense is unavoidable.  The rest of the expenses all have their constituents who shriek the instant you suggest cutting their favorite luxury.  Deny, deflect, or just disrupt any further discussion.

Evolve?  I have been hearing the phrase "evolve or die" in defense of every costly change to drum corps.  Sorry, but when "evolve or die" becomes "evolve and die", it is not evolution.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Hate to say it, but I can’t help think the last on-field image I have of the Cadets are the shorts. Please come back in 2025 in full uniform!

I thought their guard uniforms looked great but the horn line/drums just looked goofy with the shorts.  So many designers have created some great apparel for the US Olympic teams & that's what they chose to use on the field? I think they could have used something else for the lower body that would still allow body movement & capture their visual intent.  But that said, I loved their 2023 production utilizing the Cooper & Zimmerman source material.  I even wore my favorite maroon Cadets hoodie this week at school.         

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Ironic to blame the Bluecoats. Everyone know it’s always the Devils’ fault. 

Let me be clear and I know my comment probably seems to point fingers. I’m a fan of the Bluecoats but I think it Has to be recognized that the direction they moved the direction that others felt compelled to try to keep up with the stay relevant and competitive 2016 as a show that I really enjoy but there were a lot of things that they did that other organizations took note off and said we have to spend money and that I have enough to keep up with it 

Edited by scout9193