Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

3 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Re the - that ship has sailed - comment:  many times on DCP this is restated. By many posters. So Illiana this is not directed at you. 
If the ship has sailed, but it’s about to go down on a reef, maybe the ship needs to turn around. Shall we collectively be so stubborn in our refusal to go “back to the future” that we allow the entire activity to die because of unsustainable cost increases?  Maybe contracting and going back local is the way to Save the activity. But oh, would the quality of the product suffer?  Maybe. Probably. Sure. Yes I will boldly state the quality of the product would suffer. I’d prefer that, Much prefer that, to an activity that “evolved” itself into complete extinction.  That’s the cold slap of reality smacking us in the face. 

the problem is if kids wants their dreamcorps, and are blocked due to some type of regional rule....will they "settle" for one more local? odds are not likely they would. that also is a cold slap of reality

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, dbc03 said:

If you restrict corps to local recruitment you're gonna have like 3 corps total that top out at 30 people max.

It would kill drum corps quicker than national tour expenses

"Sir, you have a lot of plaque build up in your heart, if you don't make some lifestyle changes it's going to kill you"

"OK doc, let's just remove the heart!"

1 hour ago, dbc03 said:

If you restrict corps to local recruitment you're gonna have like 3 corps total that top out at 30 people max.

It would kill drum corps quicker than national tour expenses

Local recruitment?  Please tell me where in my post I said local recruitment. I said local touring market. If you want to come from the moon to perform with my corps, welcome!  We will be touring in a tri state area (or something like that, just making it up) until finals week when all corps gather for the annual jamboree!   Imagine the excitement when BD and BAC first meet at quarterfinals. 

Edited by HockeyDad

I love the handwringing. Apparently there is no solution. Ya’ll certainly haven’t offered up anything other than to shoot down any idea. Oh, bother. 

15 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

I love the handwringing. Apparently there is no solution. Ya’ll certainly haven’t offered up anything other than to shoot down any idea. Oh, bother. 

I feel you.

But regarding the "local recruitment problem," I've offered the following solution several times ... originally oriented to address the SCVC to SCV pipeline back when that was still a thing to consider 😞. Anywayz... it's based on the original Walton family recruitment/succession planning, who my mentor worked directly with as a regional exec.

30% recruit from within (vets or within the locality of the corps)

30% recruit from other corps (or outside of the locality)

30% rookies (from any locality, or further break down into 15% local, 15% not local)

10% wiggle room

If corps stuck to a formula like this of some kind they could have their cake and eat it too. Another benefit would be to local stakeholders (donors/grantmakers)... they could easily point the the formula that their instructional staff stuck to and say, look, we're still a local group that values the city where we are in a very direct way.

Worked for Walmart, which is tough to shake a stick at.

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

there is no one easy solution. there's many pieces of the puzzle.

of course i have been saying now spring training needs to not run 6 weeks or more. thats easily 6 figures savings....housing, feeding, transportation costs getting people in and out...several corps last year spent more time in ST than on tour!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

If the problem was going to be solved by armchair corps directors on DCP it would have been solved years ago. We shouldn't accept an idea without scrutiny just for the sake of doing something, especially when that idea is worse than the status quo. Bad ideas are extremely easy to come up with.

Here's an idea, every corps pools together all their money to buy lottery tickets the next time the jackpot gets high, if they win they all split the money and don't have to worry about expenses ever again.

I will not be accepting any criticism of this idea.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:12 AM, IllianaLancerContra said:

My comment was in reply to a post where author was discussing running a nonprofit dance group and obtaining local support.  

I would think that obtaining local support is a lot easier with a local presence.   But that ship has sailed, esp for World Class Corps.  

I suppose that running local bingo (like BD & SCV, perhaps others) at least keeps the name out there. 

My point was that we had a touring company, a student company, a professional company, a school, and a robust development team to support them all. But we also found ways to connect to the local area which we used the name of.   If you want to be an arts org, and you want to chase those small donors and grants (which lead to larger donors and grants) you need to show people how THEIR money helps the community.  If you can’t do that, you won’t get it. 

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

My point was that we had a touring company, a student company, a professional company, a school, and a robust development team to support them all. But we also found ways to connect to the local area which we used the name of.   If you want to be an arts org, and you want to chase those small donors and grants (which lead to larger donors and grants) you need to show people how THEIR money helps the community.  If you can’t do that, you won’t get it. 

Never underestimate my ability to miss the point & go off on a tangent.