Real ideas for sustainability & revenue

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were posts from Cadets board member, Chris RL FHNSAB, indicating there will be update.  

BTW, if you don’t wear underwear then they don’t get in a bind. 

thats more info than we needed to know about your attire choices. but yes it was someone from the corps admin that said it.  i know the natives of DCP can lawyer stuff to death sometimes, but counselor you won this case

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

There were posts from Cadets board member, Chris RL FHNSAB, indicating there will be update.

Actually, Chris' last post was on 10/17 replying to Jeff with a general "More will be forthcoming. "

There was no timeline given and the only person to mention something coming out within a week was a different poster. Please check chat history.

I'd also like more information about the Cadets situation by now, but will give them a bit more time before cranking up the DCP crowd.

10 minutes ago, fifer said:

Actually, Chris' last post was on 10/17 replying to Jeff with a general "More will be forthcoming. "

There was no timeline given and the only person to mention something coming out within a week was a different poster. Please check chat history.

I'd also like more information about the Cadets situation by now, but will give them a bit more time before cranking up the DCP crowd.

probably awaiting lawyers sign off

On 10/29/2023 at 2:50 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i agree things need worked out. but again several corps were in ST longer than on the road. and when you look at the final results, i often wonder exactly what was going on in ST.

oh wasted time on an ending that'll get rehearsed and actually performed for maybe 14 days. and while rehearsing that new ending, other stuff doesn't get rehearsed....and then everyone will ##### about BD winning.

I can tell you the logic from the interviews I did for the podcast. When you’re not renting trucks and busses to move things, you’re saving money. So they rented the trucks a busses to get people to ST (a day rental), the sent them away to save a months rental.  They only then had to spend on food and housing. They could focus on member experience and fundamentals instead of trying to cram it all into 4  to 6 hour days. They got 8 to 12.  They also got more days off. 

now did training on fundamentals happen to the level needed for the show? Maybe? Maybe Not really?.  But no one gets a performer like BD right now. Those performers already come with enough fundamentals that you’re not teaching “how to (skill)” you’re instead teaching the show element requiring that skill. So I would not bother with the BD argument. 

sitting in ST longer is a money saver. Plain and simple. When heavy equipment is rented by weeks or months. You push that off as long as possible. 

now if the staff doesn’t make the best use of 6 weeks of training, it’s time to find a new staff. 

8 hours ago, C.Holland said:

I can tell you the logic from the interviews I did for the podcast. When you’re not renting trucks and busses to move things, you’re saving money. So they rented the trucks a busses to get people to ST (a day rental), the sent them away to save a months rental.  They only then had to spend on food and housing. They could focus on member experience and fundamentals instead of trying to cram it all into 4  to 6 hour days. They got 8 to 12.  They also got more days off. 

now did training on fundamentals happen to the level needed for the show? Maybe? Maybe Not really?.  But no one gets a performer like BD right now. Those performers already come with enough fundamentals that you’re not teaching “how to (skill)” you’re instead teaching the show element requiring that skill. So I would not bother with the BD argument. 

sitting in ST longer is a money saver. Plain and simple. When heavy equipment is rented by weeks or months. You push that off as long as possible. 

now if the staff doesn’t make the best use of 6 weeks of training, it’s time to find a new staff. 

I agree with the idea of staying in one place to learn the show to save money.  However, to promote parity, let’s limit it to 4 weeks. 

If everyone is capped at 4 weeks of ST , they can start later (fewer school conflicts), won’t have to rent the ST facility as long ($ savings), and will lower food costs (4 weeks of food is cheaper than 6 weeks of food).  4 weeks of on-site support staff costs less than 6 weeks. And say that they rehearse 6 days per week for 4 weeks in ST.  If they learn 30 seconds of new material per day, at end of ST they will have 12 minutes of show.   Staff should be able to teach participants of Marching Music’s Major League 30 seconds of material per day.  And members should be able to learn 30 seconds per day.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
More better English

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I agree with the idea of staying in one place to learn the show to save money.  However, to promote parity, let’s limit it to 4 weeks. 

If everyone is capped at 4 weeks of ST , they can start later (fewer school conflicts), won’t have to rent the ST facility as long ($ savings), and will lower food costs (4 weeks of food is cheaper than 6 weeks of food).  4 weeks of on-site support staff costs less than 6 weeks. And say that they rehearse 6 days per week for 4 weeks in ST.  If they learn 30 seconds of new material per day, at end of ST they will have 12 minutes of show.   Staff should be able to teach participants of Marching Music’s Major League 30 seconds of material per day.  And members should be able to learn 30 seconds per day.  

<clutching pearls>
Oh No!!  You’re going to make Rules?!?  You’re going to RESTRICT how long they can practice?  You’re going to stymie their creativity and prevent them from EVOLVING?  How can you DO that??

Actually it’s a great idea. (But how could they ENFORCE that?  Are they going to send spies?). Next they can work on member safety since apparently every corps has high school kids in it. Nah, DCI doesn’t have the AUTHORITY.  DCI is the corps.  

Maybe after the SOA lawsuit concludes attitudes will change a bit. 

Edited by HockeyDad
Spelling -1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

<clutching pearls>
Oh No!!  You’re going to make Rules?!?  You’re going to RESTRICT how long they can practice?  You’re going to stymie their creativity and prevent them from EVOLVING?  How can you DO that??

Actually it’s a great idea. (But how could they ENFORCE that?  Are they going to send spies?). Next they can work on member safety since apparently every copes has high school kids in it. Nah, DCI doesn’t have the AUTHORITY.  DCI is the corps.  

Maybe after the SOA lawsuit concludes attitudes will change a bit. 

Actually, with published move-in dates & tour-start dates it would be pretty easy to do.  

I guess the time change has affected my brain function this morning.  What precisely does the lawsuit against Spirit for alleged abuse have to do with the  length of spring training by anybody else?  Furthermore,  in the years prior to spring training,  fans used to routinely complain about going to the early season shows and having to sit through (and pay full ticket prices for) incomplete shows. 

Also, I again suggest that the recent issues with SCV and  Cadets are NOT the same as each other, nor being the direct result of the high cost of the activity, but primarily poor choices over many years made by their respective boards.

I get that there is a building frustration by many with the ongoing dci drama, but there seems to be no correlation between how long BD has their spring training in Wyoming or BAC with theirs in Vermont and the other issues at hand.

Also,  what a fickle bunch we are.....we want complete shows on June 28th but also want to limit spring training. 

We want more shows in our home towns,  but we also want to limit touring.

We want the best shows possible but also limit what corps can spend or where they can draw their members from.

Yikes!

4 minutes ago, craiga said:

I guess the time change has affected my brain function this morning.  What precisely does the lawsuit against Spirit for alleged abuse have to do with the  length of spring training by anybody else?  Furthermore,  in the years prior to spring training,  fans used to routinely complain about going to the early season shows and having to sit through (and pay full ticket prices for) incomplete shows. 

Also, I again suggest that the recent issues with SCV and  Cadets are NOT the same as each other, nor being the direct result of the high cost of the activity, but primarily poor choices over many years made by their respective boards.

I get that there is a building frustration by many with the ongoing dci drama, but there seems to be no correlation between how long BD has their spring training in Wyoming or BAC with theirs in Vermont and the other issues at hand.

Also,  what a fickle bunch we are.....we want complete shows on June 28th but also want to limit spring training. 

We want the best shows possible but also limit what corps can spend or where they can draw their members from.

Yikes!

Bravo on the “yikes”.  Yes my post makes no sense. But bear with me:  Maybe the attitude of “DCI doesn’t have the authority to (…fill in the blank)” will change after conclusion of the SOA lawsuit to the point where DCI becomes much more intrusive. Dare I say, to the point where they actually exert leadership authority on issues such as member safety.  
That was my point. Yes, I covered two things in one post. Sorry. 

10 minutes ago, craiga said:

Yikes!

Gotta disagree with you on this. I don’t know if I can speak for “we” but what “I” want is for the activity to survive. And I claim cutting costs is a key component of that, and necessary for survival. Ideas of limiting spring training and touring locally both arise from that. I do not care if the “quality suffers”. That’s always been a subjective argument anyway. And I never said anything about where they can draw their members from. Actually I did - I said I don’t care if they get them from the moon. Just let it be known the touring will be local until Finals week. For all the corps in DCI. And I don’t buy the argument that the experience will suffer so kids won’t do it.