What is wrong with US?

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

A very good friend of mine marched  in the corps who was actually from Garfield.  She was in the little feeder corps.  I saw a pic of her on Facebook with a rifle that was bigger than her. She was in the three peat corps in the ‘80’s. 

That would be the Plebes, a feeder corps. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, Vuitton said:

Really? What middle and high school kids do you know marching. I marched with a world champion corps and I doubt I'd make a top 12 corps today.

My kids Alma Mater, Vista Murrieta High School here in Murrieta CA, their bass drummer just marched #6 Bass for Crown this past summer. 

I would have to ask my son as he is still tapped into the band, but I think Vista Murrieta had a few kids march at the WC level this past summer. 

Mandarins had some high school kids as well. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 1:27 PM, Vuitton said:

I marched with a world champion corps and I doubt I'd make a top 12 corps today.

I am a diehard 49ers fan, and a couple years ago I was watching a Jerry Rice interview. He said the way the game has evolved, and these receivers are bigger, stronger, faster than ever..........he said he would be lucky to be a top 40 receiver in today's NFL. 

whats wrong with us?

we want knowledge. we're cynical because we've seen PR spin fall apart. so people dig. yes some people root for failure. yes people look for who to blame. but many want to know why failure happened and figure out ways to correct it.

sadly in this activity, admitting failure is rare, which only leads to more failure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

whats wrong with us?

we want knowledge. we're cynical because we've seen PR spin fall apart. so people dig. yes some people root for failure. yes people look for who to blame. but many want to know why failure happened and figure out ways to correct it.

sadly in this activity, admitting failure is rare, which only leads to more failure.

" Figuring out" comes from within . I don't think there are many who look to social media or chat rooms to solve complex issues, especially because most on the outside, as some have expressed, do not know all there is to know to solve. Should people? especially if what they are doing doesn't work , maybe, I'll leave that debate to others hash out. It is always easier to sit on the outside on most subjects and claim to know all there is to know how to solve an issue. 

I think as you say failure and the activity is true BUT a true way to succeed or solve is put the ego aside and ask the right people for help. Unfortunately, there are also those who claim to have the answers to all the worlds issues and have a high opinion of themselves. The tricky thing is knowing the difference. JMO

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

whats wrong with us?

If people truly wanted answers, they'd go to the source. And even when the source gives answers to their questions, some people either don't feel that answer is good enough, or they will come up with their own assumptions and conclusions based on what is provided. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, 2000Cadet said:

If people truly wanted answers, they'd go to the source. And even when the source gives answers to their questions, some people either don't feel that answer is good enough, or they will come up with their own assumptions and conclusions based on what is provided. 

I also have avoided saying this because it can start a whole other topic and controversy, BUT I have thought about just your title " What is wrong with us"  to me anyway it is a very profound title and at least for me says a lot about the world today. I find myself asking the same daily for the past several years.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 2000Cadet said:

you have to have a source willing to answer. and that is often the crux of the issue

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you have to have a source willing to answer. and that is often the crux of the issue

I've seen posts on this forum from a person who's on the Cadets board who has continuously stated people could reach out to him for questions and he'd answer to the best of his ability based on what he can say.

I can't speak for other people or other corps, but I know I have reached out to Cadets many times since the whole scandal and I've always been fortunate to receive answers to my questions.