What is wrong with US?

17 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Me and a few of my friends, of course. The real question is did Gino make them loud enough for y'all?

In all seriousness though, I feel the pain. No shows in my state and not sure there have been since before I marched... if ever.

There actually was a show in August 2, 2007 in Albuquerque. I only know this because Scouts were in the show. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Thanks 1

On 10/29/2023 at 1:52 PM, Phantom56 said:

Only thing wrong with "us" are the gloomy Gus seniors who populate DCP. Drum corps is thriving, and 2024 will see the finest DCI finals ever. Estimated attendance: 24,000. Hopefully minus 50% of the regular contributors to this antiquated forum.  

I’m not sure the “gloomy Gus seniors” are all that gloomy or seniors, unless your definition of seniors is the same as AARP which considers anyone who pays their dues a senior!🙂

On a more serious note, I agree and disagree with “thriving.” In spite of its shortcomings, DCI as an organization, meaning head office, not the individual corps (I know DCI is the corps), is thriving overall. Attendance at events such as San Antonio and finals is up, the donor base has expanded, Friends of DCI is growing, and many aspects of the tour are top notch. The member corps need to give the head office more policing authority as far as safety and management, but that’s another issue for another thread.

Looking at the quality of the shows, the overall quality improves most years. Sure some corps have an off year, but that’s the case with every corps at one time or another. In that respect I’d say thriving.

When it comes to individual corps, that’s a difficult matter and a mixed bag. If you lose two or three corps a year with no one to replace them, that’s not thriving. Whether there are questions as to whether a corps will have the finances come June, that’s not thriving. When safety issues by some of the same corps are not addressed, that’s not thriving. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Me and a few of my friends, of course. The real question is did Gino make them loud enough for y'all?

In all seriousness though, I feel the pain. No shows in my state and not sure there have been since before I marched... if ever.

at Allentown yes. at Hershey the sound guy made the pit too loud. but the battery made me laugh out loud several times

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

at Allentown yes. at Hershey the sound guy made the pit too loud. but the battery made me laugh out loud several times

The sound guy back then may have just been Jim, not sure in that experimental first year. At least the pit's book was killer and very much worth amping.

Forgot you're a drum guy for second there, apologies. 🙏🏽 Yes, JONZ were kicking ### and taking names that season. 🫠

Glad we could enjoy some time and space in this activity together, Jeff and @IllianaLancerContra!

20 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

The sound guy back then may have just been Jim, not sure in that experimental first year. At least the pit's book was killer and very much worth amping.

Forgot you're a drum guy for second there, apologies. 🙏🏽 Yes, JONZ were kicking ### and taking names that season. 🫠

Glad we could enjoy some time and space in this activity together, Jeff and @IllianaLancerContra!

We could have had a 20-yr earlier meet-up. 

3 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

i was even parked near the busses. Dad and the promoter knowing each other since high school had perks

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Tim K said:

I don’t think Drum Corps is alienating middle and high school kids............

Not technically. When I was on the board there were only a few minors that marched in the A-Corps, but few I mean one or two. Now there are effectively none. When I was marching 1/2 of the horn line were high school kids. The Vanguard Cadets were now late teens instead of having sub 10 year olds. BDC for example now has an age minimum of 8 when they were taking them as soon as they could walk and hold a drum stick. 

The activity is getting older by way of fewer corps and the member talent being older and more practiced to get in the corps. 

No one sees it, but that's how it is. 

I remember SCV got rid of a bunch of aussies (hats) because they didn't fit the members anymore. A parent said how are kids heads so much bigger these days. I pointed out that they are all 3 years older on average now. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard Lesher said:

Not technically. When I was on the board there were only a few minors that marched in the A-Corps, but few I mean one or two. Now there are effectively none. When I was marching 1/2 of the horn line were high school kids. The Vanguard Cadets were now late teens instead of having sub 10 year olds. BDC for example now has an age minimum of 8 when they were taking them as soon as they could walk and hold a drum stick. 

The activity is getting older by way of fewer corps and the member talent being older and more practiced to get in the corps. 

No one sees it, but that's how it is. 

I remember SCV got rid of a bunch of aussies (hats) because they didn't fit the members anymore. A parent said how are kids heads so much bigger these days. I pointed out that they are all 3 years older on average now. 

Sounds like what some people on the Back in the day DC Facebook groups are like. “Corps don’t take in less talented or kids who haven’t played before”. Uh yeah reason is the corps don’t need to take in those people to have a full corps. And heavens forbid someone mention “audition”… just can’t get the idea that when more people want to join than max corps size a corps has to audition.

18 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sounds like what some people on the Back in the day DC Facebook groups are like. “Corps don’t take in less talented or kids who haven’t played before”. Uh yeah reason is the corps don’t need to take in those people to have a full corps. And heavens forbid someone mention “audition”… just can’t get the idea that when more people want to join than max corps size a corps has to audition.

We were a small corps and our "audition" consisted of a pulse check.  If you had one you were in.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

There are just less corps to go around. That's what's causing this. Auditions are not the issue. BDC for example doesn't audition. Age is the factor, not talent, but they learned, BDC is the back bone of their parental volunteer base. 

• Like 1