SoA/DCI Lawsuit Update

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok -thanks

If this makes it to court (assuming no settlement) will the various legal documents, discovery, etc become public knowledge?   

ETA - same question applies to Cadets/DCI lawsuit. 

i'd imagine DCI is putting up a better defense than CAE did if stories are true.

I heard there was an update to the case, but I dont have an account/knowledge to find it 

This activity is about 20 years behind the Catholic Church. It’s disgusting that people would continue to defend the likes of Spirit or Cadets or SCV. The rot is deep. No one dares mention the ex director of Cavies/SCV. Why?  It sickens me. DCI has been negligent and cowardly. Oh, all we do is organize the tour. Well, how is that going. All the “TBD” contests.  So sad. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Ok -thanks

If this makes it to court (assuming no settlement) will the various legal documents, discovery, etc become public knowledge?   

ETA - same question applies to Cadets/DCI lawsuit. 

That's what happened to the Boy Scouts.

They let it go to trial, and then EVERYTHING became public domain, and those fighting the BSA made a database available to EVERYONE that wanted to look at no cost. Now to this day the BSA is staring down a multi billion dollar settlement and trying to meet those obligations. 

No one chased DCI and Corps before because the $$$ was never there. We are a very tiny community relatively speaking and only shrinking. 

However, enough is enough, and folks are finding out its not that hard to call offenders to the carpet. Those that are meeting mud slinging are finding it's all a bluff. 

What we do know is the Drum Corps activity is a Target Rich environment for predators. 

We also know that the DCI Community is decades behind the corrective actions taken by Churches, Schools, and Scouts. 

Further, in terms of Corps trying to identify themselves as teaching institutions, it is a lose association at best. Yes, credited teachers are on the staffs of the Corps, but it is not required, and there is no Corps out there with credited teachers across the board. The Corps across the board certainly do not exercise the protective background vetting legitimate teaching institutions do. This activity pretends to be something that it is not. 

The worst case scenarios are converging. More will pop up, not less. 

10 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

This activity is about 20 years behind the Catholic Church. It’s disgusting that people would continue to defend the likes of Spirit or Cadets or SCV. The rot is deep. No one dares mention the ex director of Cavies/SCV. Why?  It sickens me. DCI has been negligent and cowardly. Oh, all we do is organize the tour. Well, how is that going. All the “TBD” contests.  So sad. 

No one will come forward about him.  All we hear are the stories and there are a lot of them.  I had Cavies alumni that I had marched with elsewhere tell me when I asked why he was going to SCV.  But, I’m sure the survivors are fearful of being ostracized and shunned.  This was all covered in the Nadolny article on what happened to the young woman who was groomed and assaulted by Mike Stevens.  She was a pariah.  So that’s why, in a nutshell.  People want their drum corps, collateral damage be ######. 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

I've been told many many many horrible things by alumni.

I have none about JF by a survivor, and no known connections to one. Anyone I know who's marched those years doesn't bring it up and I don't ask. That info has to be divulged completely voluntarily for it to be ethical.

If how McKenzee, I, Terri and others I know have been regarded is the standard in this activity, then I don't blame them for staying in the shadows.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

None on either of the platforms I have access to.

Got it. I’ll ask my friend who told me this where they saw it

Thank you for checking 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/4/2024 at 10:19 AM, fighterkit said:

Got it. I’ll ask my friend who told me this where they saw it

Thank you for checking 

Allow me to clarify.

What I've posted was dated between Nov 16-Dec 6 2023. Since that time there have been many listed "events" on the case, including summons, certificates of service, certificates of service of discovery, complaints and amended complaints with jury demands, answers with jury demands, state court jury demand - 12 jurors, answers to amended complaints, and even a "consent order- case MGT dates/deadline" ... and more. The latest of these was a certificate of service of discovery on 3/1/2024. Nothing since that date.

McKenzee has left breadcrumbs in this thread and on reddit as to how to access this public information... that's why I didn't include the above. It's easy to access. Hope this helps.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Like 1