The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

15 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I take it she doesn’t read this junk. 😂 

Not at all, fortunately. I joke about her all the time and she knows that anyway, even if she does live up to my pet name for her. 33 years (I think) and we're running strong. 

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

“If it's on the Internet it must be true.”

Especially if I agree with it…

And that is pretty much on topic with some of the posts I’ve seen over the last year or so (and before)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

Mods. I sincerely request this topic be closed.
There is a fair amount of false and misleading information.

No one from the Cadets will be able to respond to any of this, especially on social media, for legal reasons.
Also, the comments here on DCP could be used by either legal side and that would be unfortunate.

Thank you.

are these the supposed falsehoods that required names to be given as mentioned elsewhere?

• Like 1

On 11/8/2023 at 1:29 AM, keystone3ply said:

Under latest amended compliant statement #36, G Hopkins was named as an agent or employee who knew the abuse was about to take place & didn’t do anything to prevent. 😳

George Hopkins.... The gift that keeps on giving!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/8/2023 at 7:57 AM, cixelsyd said:

I am also confused at why this complaint keeps referring to YEA! as equally relevant and culpable "at all relevant times", when the relevant times are 1982-1983 and YEA! did not exist until 1988.

True. In 1982 Dr. Santo was the Executive Director of the Cadets. But because the incident happened on New Year's Eve of 1982 it could be that GH had taken control of the Executive Director by then. I believe Dr. Santo handed the reigns to Hopkins after the 82 season. And yes, YEA did not exist until 1988. 

Either way, I do believe the accuser has every right to get what they deserve and sadly that means the current organization must pay up and try to get good legal help to make sure the settlement does not cripple the corps for good. I think New Jersey did the right thing by allowing this case to move forward and I feel for the victim (and other victims) of the assault. We all knew that today's Cadets were going deal with many cases from the past. That getting rid of GH and the old BoD was not the end. I don't even know if the law suit with GH has been settled. Maybe someone has that info. There could be other cases coming. 

We will be lucky if this corps makes it back. And it's my favorite corps of all time. As much as I love Bluecoats, BD, Crown, Madison and all the others. I was a HUGE Garfield / Cadets fan and remain so to this day. It's sad enough they don't get to march in 2024 for their 90th Anniversary. NINETY YEARS is a BIG deal! Will we ever see it? sigh... 😞

Edited by jwillis35
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

True. In 1982 Dr. Santo was the Executive Director of the Cadets. But because the incident happened on New Year's Eve of 1982 it could be that GH had taken control of the Executive Director by then. I believe Dr. Santo handed the reigns to Hopkins after the 82 season. And yes, YEA did not exist until 1988. 

Either way, I do believe the accuser has every right to get what they deserve and sadly that means the current organization must pay up and try to get good legal help to make sure the settlement does not cripple the corps for good. I think New Jersey did the right thing by allowing this case to move forward and I feel for the victim (and other victims) of the assault. We all knew that today's Cadets were going deal with many cases from the past. That getting rid of GH and the old BoD was not the end. I don't even know if the law suit with GH has been settled. Maybe someone has that info. There could be other cases coming. 

We will be lucky if this corps makes it back. And it's my favorite corps of all time. As much as I love Bluecoats, BD, Crown, Madison and all the others. I was a HUGE Garfield / Cadets fan and remain so to this day. It's sad enough they don't get to march in 2024 for their 90th Anniversary. NINETY YEARS is a BIG deal! Will we ever see it? sigh... 😞

i'm not aware of any pending litigation with GH.

• Like 1