The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

3 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

The court documents say enough to know motivation. The plaintiff seeks compensation. It's there in writing. If that is not the desired result, there were other avenues. All those victims that came out in the article against GH certainly affected change. Point being, this is about money and we will now be losing a drum corps in the activity because of it. 

Hmmm… this is about money and we will now be losing a drum corps in the activity because of it? 
What is “it”?  We will not be (possibly) losing a drum corps in the activity because there’s a lawsuit and the plaintiff seeks compensation. Rather, we will be losing a drum corps in the activity because a marching member was allegedly assaulted by a staff member of the corps.   

3 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Hmmm… this is about money and we will now be losing a drum corps in the activity because of it? 
What is “it”?  We will not be (possibly) losing a drum corps in the activity because there’s a lawsuit and the plaintiff seeks compensation. Rather, we will be losing a drum corps in the activity because a marching member was allegedly assaulted by a staff member of the corps.   

And was alleged to have happened over forty years ago.

Edited by ykw
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, ykw said:

Curious. I get your point, and there is a very small part of me that might even agree. But would you be put out and let a murderer walk free if their crime was solved after 40 years?  Would you want some kind of justice, even just money, if this was a member of your family who just came forward?  Maybe in all of the pages of this thread someone has already asked you this. If so, i will delete the post. 

36 minutes ago, ykw said:

Not relevant in the legal system. 

16 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Curious. I get your point, and there is a very small part of me that might even agree. But would you be put out and let a murderer walk free if their crime was solved after 40 years?  Would you want some kind of justice, even just money, if this was a member of your family who just came forward?  Maybe in all of the pages of this thread someone has already asked you this. If so, i will delete the post. 

If Person #1 kill somebody 40 years ago (or last week), I wouldn’t want the son of that person to spend time in jail because they are related by blood. 

But I’d send that person #1 to the death row. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

Not relevant in the legal system. 

I agree.   My point speaks to liability exposure.   Cadets can thank the Roman Catholic church for covering up for years for priests who diddled with altar boys, which prompted New Jersey to open the time window for everyone to file lawsuits for any kind of molestation charge.

So if we're saying it's likely a corps will have to liquidate its assets and fold because of an alleged incident forty years ago, it won't be the last corps to fold.

I think the Cadets were already in tough place anyway, because for a while they haven't seen by potential members as a "cool corps". 

Had they continued, Cadets never seemed poised to shift to a "WGI with Brass and Percussion (mixed by a soundboard)" corps, which it seems is what DCI in 2023 has become.

Edited by ykw

1 hour ago, HockeyDad said:

From 40 years ago. I’m sorry, but the organization that exists today, meaning board, directors, etc, are not the organization that existed then. 

The individuals responsible should be held accountable. Not an organization that has leadership no longer applicable to the situation. 

4 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

From 40 years ago. I’m sorry, but the organization that exists today, meaning board, directors, etc, are not the organization that existed then. 

The individuals responsible should be held accountable. Not an organization that has leadership no longer applicable to the situation. 

That argument hasn't worked for the Roman Catholic church when hit with lawsuits from altar boys who claimed molestation from priests 40-50-60 years ago.    

Edited by ykw

4 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

One can't just buck the reality that without the case at hand the organization had a greater chance of being able to continue within an activity that isn't easy to keep afloat monetarily. Whether right or wrong, factual or not, the case will be the ultimate downfall. That isn't victim blaming. This could have been a case regarding negligence for a horrific car accident the organization happened to be involved in that would have brought down the organization. The fact is a case was brought and it will be the downfall. 

and the shocking thing is this is the case everyone expected when the first Cadets issue came to light in April of 2018.