The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

The latest filing goes into further detail about what we all already know on some level:

A person doesn't just get up one morning after forty years and decide to sue a drum and bugle corps, and soon, Drum Corps International...just on a whim. 

No, somebody does this because they have suffered a lifetime of overwhelming pain and torment. Relationship trauma. Possible physical harm. Missed opportunities and lost jobs. Therapy bills. Etc.

Stemming from alleged abuse that happened when they were just 16.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t sit down there anymore.  I’m already deaf enough. 

I know. You even sit behind me!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

I see the same. Her lawyers interviewed a representative from Cadets Arts Entertainment (Jeff Herzing) who seemed to assert, basically, that DCI was/is the real responsible entity. They also plan to call on an as yet unnamed expert witness, a PhD who has studied the structure of the drum corps activity between DCI and the member corps, and presumably would speak to the alleged culpability of DCI, it would seem:   https://trellis.law/doc/197296408/motion-to-file-amend-complaint-submitted-by-mascolo-j-silvio-rebenack-aronow-mascolo-llp-on-behalf-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx-against-garfield-cadets-john-does-1-10-youth-education-in-arts-youth-education-in-arts-inc

well, here we go...DCI is the corps right? or will it be "sorry cadets dropped the ball on their own"?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

Some of both?

Depends on the judge

9 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I don’t sit down there anymore.  I’m already deaf enough. 

I have to sit in the blast zone to cover up the ringing in my ears. Wish we had of used hearing protection in the 80s & 90s. I'd stand on the sideline if DCI would allow, but Mr. DiCarlo would probably call for security. I do have some old staff badges. Hey... 🤔🤫 😂  

• Haha 2

Wonder if any other corps are looking at this and thinking about crap that went on years ago…. 😱

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

I'm sure they are, and DCI, too. DCI operated for 50 years with no policies or protections for the treatment of minors. 

Well, you know, DCI didn’t have authorization to do anything unless it was given to them by the corps directors. DCI is the corps and can’t enact any regulations on its own and all that. Apparently DCI is the organization that schedules the tour and lines up the judges and that’s it.   We will find out whether the legal system agrees. 

• Like 1