The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

32 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Like I said earlier, schools & stadiums all start to look alike, and keeping 30+ tour stops straight decades later could be problematic.   Not saying incidents didn’t happen, and my heart goes out to the victims.  But going to court demands a certain standard of proof that just might not be available any more.  

To make a criminal case, I believe the Feds would only need one provable instance of interstate transport. 

Edited by DCI-1983-91

14 minutes ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

To make a criminal case, I believe the Feds would only need one provable instance of interstate transport. 

It would need to be provable, and a Federal Prosecutor would need to take the case.    

Also, for a criminal case the standard of proof is ‘beyond a reasonable doubt’, which is higher than ‘preponderance of the evidence’ in civil litigation.   This, as well as SoL differences is why we are seeing civil and not criminal cases.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Further pontificating
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Looks like DCI has been added as a defendant.  

https://trellis.law/case/34003/berl005091-20/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-vs-garfield-cadets

Geez. Does anyone have any good news today? 

I guess I do. T(friggin)GIF. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

i got a freebie at Dunkin

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

That makes my face do this 😬

The cajones on these plaintiffs. SoA and Cadets.

Erm, when is it time for public statements on behalf of each and DCI? (When was DCI added as a defendant? Do we have a way of knowing?) I say public statements because at some point, DCI and SoA will need to reassure MMs and loved ones that, despite two lawsuits, they can maintain their mission statements and provide safe environs.

Cadets can certainly do so too, as I assume this is a hiatus and not a fold. Certainly hiatus is all I think most drum corps fans can bear to contemplate for long.

3 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

That makes my face do this 😬

The cajones on these plaintiffs. SoA and Cadets.

Erm, when is it time for public statements on behalf of each and DCI? (When was DCI added as a defendant? Do we have a way of knowing?) I say public statements because at some point, DCI and SoA will need to reassure MMs and loved ones that, despite two lawsuits, they can maintain their mission statements and provide safe environs.

Cadets can certainly do so too, as I assume this is a hiatus and not a fold. Certainly hiatus is all I think most drum corps fans can bear to contemplate for long.

I recall hearing that plaintiff was petitioning to get DCI added; per link they are now listed. So it happened within the last month or so.  

Although case is listed as going to arbitration on 20 Dec I wonder if that date will slip as now there is another defendant to get lawyers up to speed, depositions to take, etc.    More time, more billable hours.   

The Januals are going to be interesting.   I doubt we’ll hear anything dramatic, but if I were representing one of the Corps that actually has its #### together I would be asking hard questions.  

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Totally, it should have been done yesterday. I mean, where do DCI and its member corps get the idea that they are except from sexual harassment laws?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCI-1983-91 said:

Totally, it should have been done yesterday. I mean, where do DCI and its member corps get the idea that they are except from sexual harassment laws?

Making the abnormal “normal” for over fifty years. You marched.  You get out there on the road and you might as well be on another planet.  The real world, it’s not. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

My wife made cookies...