The Cadets are being sued by a former member for alleged sexual abuse in the 80s

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

agreed. though 2 of those i thought were the best had a little issue this year that led to someone being removed from tour in July

Good news was someone was removed. Bad news was something happened that caused the removal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, craiga said:

A well written post...as usual. However, I do take issue with your comment that only SOA has safeguards to adequately protect its members.   Due to their misdeeds and subsequent scrutiny,  they may be the highest profile organization  at present, but I would argue there are other organizations that have been employing best practices for years.

Heard and respected. And ty for the compliment.

I'll gladly amend to say SoA's new system is the most robust that I've reviewed. To say others aren't providing adequate measures is too harsh, agreed.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Good news was someone was removed. Bad news was something happened that caused the removal.

almost as bad was it was known before moveins and nothing was done

• Sad 1

I think everyone knows that things like this have been going on since the beginning of DCI.  This is just one of many problems that exist in drum corp behavior and not only with staff.  I've seen some appalling things happen on tour that were dehumanizing (IMO), degrading, and downright evil in my eyes.

What I find interesting is how DCI protects their own...There has been more than one case of a corps on the verge of collapse or impacted by something major, that suddenly got a bump in scores before (SH)it hit the fan.  I don't think it's a coincidence.

• Sad 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:21 PM, Phantombari1 said:

I think everyone knows that things like this have been going on since the beginning of DCI.  This is just one of many problems that exist in drum corp behavior and not only with staff.  I've seen some appalling things happen on tour that were dehumanizing (IMO), degrading, and downright evil in my eyes.

What I find interesting is how DCI protects their own...There has been more than one case of a corps on the verge of collapse or impacted by something major, that suddenly got a bump in scores before (SH)it hit the fan.  I don't think it's a coincidence.

We’d be curious to learn about specific examples of this.  Have you any?  Meaning coincidental score bumps.

Edited by LabMaster

7 hours ago, TenHut said:

100%. 40 years later??? 40 years???

What number of years is too many?  What is your number?  State it. And as you ponder your number, recall that Christine Blakey Ford’s accusations against Brett Kavanaugh were from alleged events about 35 years earlier. Was that a sham?

I don’t think it’s the number of years that’s really the issue for you. I think it’s the existential threat to the Cadets that is your issue. How dare they let some sexual assaults derail this organization. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

21 minutes ago, HockeyDad said:

What number of years is too many?  What is your number?  State it. And as you ponder your number, recall that Christine Blakey Ford’s accusations against Brett Kavanaugh were from alleged events about 35 years earlier. Was that a sham?

I don’t think it’s the number of years that’s really the issue for you. I think it’s the existential threat to the Cadets that is your issue. How dare they let some sexual assaults derail this organization. 

Well said.  As a survivor of sexual assault at 15, i can assure you that it has impacted me for the 50 years since, and will probably impact me in some way, for the rest of my life.  Most people don’t understand that surviving this type of trauma affects choices you make in your life, such as who to date, who to marry, when to leave, etc.  It contributes to risk-taking and lack of impulse control.  A major decision i made at 18 was influenced by that assault, and scripted my entire adult life, in a manner not at all consistent with my hopes and dreams.  And i am an emotionally strong woman.  If i were of a weaker emotional build, it could have destroyed me.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7

21 minutes ago, DWW11 said:

Well said.  As a survivor of sexual assault at 15, i can assure you that it has impacted me for the 50 years since, and will probably impact me in some way, for the rest of my life.  Most people don’t understand that surviving this type of trauma affects choices you make in your life, such as who to date, who to marry, when to leave, etc.  It contributes to risk-taking and lack of impulse control.  A major decision i made at 18 was influenced by that assault, and scripted my entire adult life, in a manner not at all consistent with my hopes and dreams.  And i am an emotionally strong woman.  If i were of a weaker emotional build, it could have destroyed me.  

Thank you for sharing this. I'd bet that this survivor and the survivor who filed the lawsuit against Cadets/DCI have told themselves -- over many years -- things like: "just move on," "get over it," "I have to move past this."

And then can't, because it never. goes. away.

Where does drum corps get the idea that it is beyond laws against sexual abuse and harassment?

It's incredible, the arrogance.

Edited by DCI-1983-91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I'll just leave this here to reinforce the two previous posters. (Even though I don't think the poster folks are responding to is commenting in good faith anyway.)

Content warning regarding explanations of the adverse outcomes of SA. Survivors don't really need to read honestly, unless in a strong place of recovery, cause we've been through enough already. This is for everyone else who may be unaware that a singular violation is just the beginning for many of us:

https://www.wcsap.org/help/about-sexual-assault/effects-sexual-assault

Edited by scheherazadesghost
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3