Vintage DCI at 2023 BOA Grand Nationals

3 hours ago, burdettsky said:

All in all, not knowing what to expect, I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Indy, and I also played two round of golf on Friday as it was warm enough (50 degrees for me is warm enough to golf in November).

A sports radio host was an avid golfer.  His golf motto was if the tee could stick into the ground, he was golfing.  

1 hour ago, Jimmyjames said:

Unless we are counting the giant flyover fabric. 

oh i forgot that. still had to be a lot cheaper than some of the other stuff i saw out there over the 3 days

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

How expensive were the surrounding hotels if you don’t mind me asking?  

I haven't been since pre-covid, but back then they were similar to DCI Championship week.  Our percussion convention (PASIC) is also that same week in the convention center.  Lots of band stuff, percussion, & percussion artist last week. The exhibition hall is really noisy.  (Some vendors have sound proof booths.) There are sound restrictions & rules in place, but... 🥁😂     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Carmel had none

And Avon won with a handful of holdable wooden stick frames. 

• Like 1

My finals favorites.

Avon

Woodlands

William Mason

Bentonville

Fishers

A very good year for BOA band.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I haven't been since pre-covid, but back then they were similar to DCI Championship week.  Our percussion convention (PASIC) is also that same week in the convention center.  Lots of band stuff, percussion, & percussion artist last week. The exhibition hall is really noisy.  (Some vendors have sound proof booths.) There are sound restrictions & rules in place, but... 🥁😂     

Thanks! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jimmyjames said:

Unless we are counting the giant flyover fabric. 

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That would count as a prop to me.

Congratulations to Mason HS.  That’s really close to where we’ll be for the summer.  

Unless it stands upright, is at least a few feet tall, needs to be assembled/disassembled for each show, and takes up an excessive amount of space during transportation, it doesn’t get my vote as a prop - lol!

One could also argue that William Mason’s uniform capes were a prop.  Certainly an integral part of the show (and used to great effect), but doesn’t fit my definition above - lol!

Legal Disclaimer: all said tongue-in-cheek of course 🙂

I really enjoyed William Mason’s show - they were fantastic as always!  Their off-field woodwind ensemble (gasp!) was amazing, and really added a tremendous amount to the show (and now I will duck for cover on here - lol)!

Edited by Quad Aces
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Quad Aces said:

As Jeff pointed out - Carmel (2nd) had no props, and William Mason from OH (6th) also had no props.

And, the reps from Carmel and The Woodlands were not only the same as 1985 Cadets and 1994 Blue Devils, they were also arranged in the same manner - long stretches of melody, no chop n bop, no snippets of source material only, etc.  Arranged very similarly to their DCI show counterparts.

Yes, plenty of what you mentioned on display over the weekend too (of course), but these two shows - Carmel, The Woodlands - were pretty incredible in their own right.

Mason had panels across the entire front of the field that people and guard equipment hid behind during the entire show.

That is a prop to me. Everyone had a "prop" of some sort. It doesn't matter to me. They are all fantastic performers.

3 hours ago, gbass598 said:

Mason had panels across the entire front of the field that people and guard equipment hid behind during the entire show.

That is a prop to me. Everyone had a "prop" of some sort. It doesn't matter to me. They are all fantastic performers.

Totally different than a band who wheels 32 ten foot towers around the field as a part of the performance.

IMHO, YMMV.

Edited by Quad Aces

Worth noting that The Woodlands show was arranged by Wayne Downey, hence how familiar the charts were, right down to the classic Wayne Downey Ending #7 ($1 to the Renegades). 

• Thanks 2