After a problem is reported… what?

58 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Of course Spirit got their act (apparently) together after they got hit big time and BoD was changed (IIRC).

Still think it would be a deterrent if DCI would have a database of (suspected and proven) harassers/abusers so corps could check when looking at a potential new hire. Of course it would only be a deterrent if people know it exists.

Database could also include status of any investigation, IOW accused, being investigated, found innocent, found guilty, etc. I worked databases for 25+ years and biggest hurdle IMO is making sure people who know the contents keep their mouth shut unless a corps makes a valid request.

I just remain curious how other professions mind both employee confidentiality requirements and maintain such databases for safeguarding purposes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

I just remain curious how other professions mind both employee confidentiality requirements and maintain such databases for safeguarding purposes.

Ding ding ding winner IMO.

Some people act like this is new territory so DCI has to be overly careful in what they do (or do nothing). Other groups have faced this problem and are handling it without being sued out of existence. Also where is the DCI legal team to advise how to enact (and act upon) protection measures. Or is DCI “the corps” so every corps is on their own?

Three Stooges bit:

Moe: One for all

Larry: All for one

Curley: Every man for himself 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, rpbobcat said:

I'd go a step further.

I'm sure every corps has legal representation.

In addition to what you suggest, I would like to see any allegation, of any type of direct abuse, be reviewed by the corps' legal council and he makes the call whether law enforcement should be contacted.

So long as the legal review would happen quick enough that that there aren’t evidence or jurisdictional issues.  I also think most lawyers would say ‘If in doubt, report’.  The legal system may later decide that no prosecution is warranted, but we have seen time & again the fallout when an incident occurred & law enforcement wasn’t brought in.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Troopers publish their reporting/investigation process, here, under Member Health and Safety. It would surprise me if most other corps don't do something similar.

Thank you. I stand corrected and relieved. And welcome further examples.

I'm curious in both cases, Spirit and Trooper policies, whether and how all parties involved are required to sign that they have read and will adhere to said policy or face termination... or possible listing on a database? Board, admin, staff, members, volunteers, donors, stakeholders. Everyone.

22 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

In addition to what you suggest, I would like to see any allegation, of any type of direct abuse, be reviewed by the corps' legal council and he makes the call whether law enforcement should be contacted.

That may conflict with some states' laws regarding mandated reporting.  One <good> thing we ran into in Texas while I was writing ours was that like 99% of our instructors were already teachers, and they are mandated reporters by statute.  It was an easy leap to include that in our own rules then.  

Mike

• Like 1

20 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

That’s why I had “under investigation” in my database example. Corps could see that and go at their own caution. 
Never worked with an employer that dealt with youth. But would think they wouldn’t be hired until cleared or hired with understanding if found guilty they would be fired.
Different world but worked DoD with a security clearance. If my record was clear I would be hired. But if I didn’t pass the security checks… bye. And of a potential employee had problems with those conditions then don’t bother applying.

edit: and chance to do pull my “this ain’t the first time it happened” line. Anyone know what other youth groups do if someone accused of wrongdoing (but not found guilty/innocent yet) wants a job? Sure it has happened before.

In most organizations I think even if a person is exonerated, the chances of getting a job working with youth is about a zero chance, especially with churches, schools, Boys and Girls Clubs, the “Y.” With competitive activities like drum corps or athletics, things seem to be different. I wonder if things are overlooked believing someone could give a competitive advantage. 

On 11/15/2023 at 1:00 PM, rpbobcat said:

Sad thing is you just described what happened at Penn State with Jerry Sandusky allegations. PSU did their own investigation and found nothing that should be reported to outside authorities. 
IMO it’s a conflict of interest to have someone paid by the corps to decide if there is a problem within the corps.

Thinking of my college in the 70s. If any crime occurred on campus it was hushed up for school’s reputation. Took a state law to make the students aware and safer.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

17 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Sad thing is you just described what happened at Penn State with Jerry Sandusky allegations. PSU did their own investigation and found nothing that should be reported to outside authorities. 
IMO it’s a conflict of interest to have someone paid by the corps to decide if there is a problem within the corps.

Thinking of my college in the 70s. If any crime occurred on campus it was hushed up for school’s reputation. Took a state law to make the students aware and safer.

Jerry Sandusky.  Penn State to State Penn.