Multiple Corps Auditions “Urban Legend”?

19 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

A lot of kids I know audition for multiple corps. 
99% of the time its not so they can chase a ring, but rather have the best shot at marching this summer, and find the environment they like the least. 
A lot of kids aim for their dream corps, or somewhere close to it and one competitively below. That way if things don't work out they have somewhere else to march. 

It is not uncommon nowadays to audition for two+ organizations and decide from there. 

Years ago started a thread here and was told by some that they only had one year that they could do drum corps. Reasons mainly due to expense and school/life constraints. Going out for multiple corps would make sense.

2 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow, just got told by someone that the majority of potential DCI corps members audition for multiple corps (at $500 a crack) so they can chase a ring. Will leave out the “not so complimentary” terms but sounds far fetched to me. But was told “if you don’t believe me ask around “ so here we are.

And yes I asked and was told “majority”.

If you’re chasing a ring wouldn’t you limit your auditioning process to one corps? 😈

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Brian Tuma said:

“People are saying.” 😂

Sounds like my conspiracy spouting nephew “I read on the internet”. I hear that and start looking for someone else to talk to… or the nearest door… outside

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Yeah sometimes there are posts that read like the Weekly World News (home of Batboy and “out there” stuff written as a laugh). This one had me shaking my head…

it's majority older alumni who complain about anything after (insert year here) they stopped marching

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's majority older alumni who complain about anything after (insert year here) they stopped marching

It's like the Douglas Adams quote on technology:

1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.

2. Anything that’s invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.

3. Anything invented after you’re thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

lol my favorite is the guy who told me I never marched “real drum corps” because we didn’t have the start and finish lines. Next year will be 50 years 🤮 since my first season.

and to go with contraguard05: Don’t Panic 😆

on topic: learning some things here.. thanks

Edited by JimF-LowBari

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Wow, just got told by someone that the majority of potential DCI corps members audition for multiple corps (at $500 a crack) so they can chase a ring. Will leave out the “not so complimentary” terms but sounds far fetched to me. But was told “if you don’t believe me ask around “ so here we are.

And yes I asked and was told “majority”.

$500 for an audition?  That idea belongs in the revenue thread we had going last month.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Brian Tuma said:

If you’re chasing a ring wouldn’t you limit your auditioning process to one corps? 😈

I agree with this sentiment.   If a prospective member really is just a ring chaser, there is only one drum corps still in existence which can pretty much guarantee a medal and mathematically offer a 50% or better chance of a ring.

So, given that,  logically there is no reason why anyone who wants to win would audition for anyone other than our friends from Concord.   Crown and Bloo are great corps but do not have a tradition of perennially winning. Boston is a great corps but hasn't won yet. SCV is an organizational dumpster fire and Cadets seem to have become Defendant Corps International.  So for "Ring Chasers", auditioning for three corps seems illogical. 

• Like 6