Dance Company vs Color Guard

44 minutes ago, denverjohn said:

dancing flowers

BoRhap is my very favorite song but that was just plain strange.  (Fred probably would have loved it, tho!)

1 hour ago, lowend said:

The director should have left well enough alone and just done a slow fade into majority dance over a couple of years.  My band has all three auxiliary groups - guard, dance, and majorettes - and it's a pain to design around.  You also get petty squabbles between auxiliary groups, entitlement/chips on the shoulder if one does better, etc.

a slow fade wouldn't work. the instructor is too known and too respected and it would have been noticed. Whitney basically brought the guard program back from the dead. this is a program people watch like a hawk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s what it must be like for these huge university marching bands. The Marching Illini only have/had one baton twirler but a flag line and the dance team.  Plus, 350 musicians. Sounds like your basic nightmare to me and they do different shows every home game.  

welcome to Big 10 ( or 18) life. though PSU still has a full twirler squad. Dance Team generally isn't involved with the Blue Band

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lowend said:

The director should have left well enough alone and just done a slow fade into majority dance over a couple of years.  My band has all three auxiliary groups - guard, dance, and majorettes - and it's a pain to design around.  You also get petty squabbles between auxiliary groups, entitlement/chips on the shoulder if one does better, etc.

No way, this would never happen. Shocked! 😂

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 2

Having a Dance Squad and a Guard is very 80's Indiana band.  The dance squad was called the pom squad though but the actual use of poms went out of the marching show by 81 or 82 I think.  They were effectively a dance squad.  They'd have some little mini flags they'd do for a portion of the show but generally were a separate auxiliary from the spinners who were the Color Guard.  

They unified them as a single guard in my time in the mid to late 80s and the uproar about "I will NOT carry a FLAG from some of the longstanding poms was hilariously dumb."

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

welcome to Big 10 ( or 18) life. though PSU still has a full twirler squad. Dance Team generally isn't involved with the Blue Band

And Michigan’s drum major is a BAC alum!

• Like 3