DCI Bernstein Bonanza 2009

DCI.org. DCI Bernstein Bonanza 2009  “Leonard Bernstein has historically been synonymous with the sound of drum corps. While the Maestro has been relatively unplayed in recent years,”

My understanding is that the Bernstein estate clamped down on copyright permission to arrange and significantly raises the fees for permission.

Anyone have more details?

The rumors were the Bernstein estate was not pleased with how Troopers had done some mashups in their 09 show. That mixed with the realization they could get more money for licensing caused the drum corps hiatus until he who shall not be named built a rapport with the estate when there was a planned effort for a big concert in Central Park that was to be planned with the Cadets participation, which led to Cadets being able to license Bernstein work, blah blah blah etc etc etc we all know what happened then. 

Edited by TheOneWhoKnows

56 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

The rumors were the Bernstein estate was not pleased with how Troopers had done some mashups in their 09 show. That mixed with the realization they could get more money for licensing caused the drum corps hiatus until he who shall not be named built a rapport with the estate when there was a planned effort for a big concert in Central Park that was to be planned with the Cadets participation, which led to Cadets being able to license Bernstein work, blah blah blah etc etc etc we all know what happened then. 

Something something ... THAT GUY AGAIN ... something ... Backflip Jesus ... something ... dangit no Cadets?

• Haha 4

Around 2010 the band I taught and arranged for (winds and percussion) decided to do a Bernstein show. We used parts of Chichester Psalms and the Mass. 

i had to send their representatives the arrangements ahead of time as part of the approval process. There were no issues with the charts. 

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

The talk in '09 was that Troopers "Western Side Story" had a lot to do with the crackdown, but I swear there was also a band at BOA Grand Nats that also went far afield with their adaptation.  

Mike

The Woodlands High School did On the Town in 2019.   A few years before, On the Waterfront.  

17 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

And they didn't even cover this in the Bradley Cooper movie. The bastages. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I know what happened with the whole scandal, but did the Central Park Cadets Bernstein thing ever happen?

7 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I know what happened with the whole scandal, but did the Central Park Cadets Bernstein thing ever happen?

It didn’t. I believe it was to be 2019? I don’t quite remember the year, but it was after the scandal so it never came to fruition.