DCI Januals 2024

31 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Yes I know those cancers exist.  But we are seeing them spill over into a financial hit - if nothing else higher insurance costs.   And sometimes more.    My thoughts are that DCI will finally address the other cancers as a way to lower costs.  It is an alternative path to achieve the same desired end state.  

I’m wondering (have been for a while) where a corps insurance carrier says “here’s your new premium for the season…. There’s been an increase in the cost” 😳 Or…. “After looking it over, we’re not going to renew your policy “

7 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Understand the problems with time due to other events and All Age corps logistics. 
Just as a performer doing your last show at THE event that early. Ok great show, let’s go for brunch.. 🤮

well doing your final run under the lights with less than 1500 people wasn't exactly filling the corps either. there's no win win

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Yep it was $50.  I was at the top price point of $35 but you know who pulled out the card anyway. 

less expensive than Williamsport was. 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

We were there … Madison, Buffalo..    Hardly anyone would go.  

Madison i believe in 99 had a better crowd than Buffalo did ( granted Buffalo was ungodly hot). But those weren't finals. if nothing else, this year may have a curiosity factor that helps. honestly if i were going, i wouldn't be going to Soundsport or DL Battle, so this would have more appeal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

So the only news to come out of these meetings are the new DCI BOD announcements?

WTF was going on there all weekend??? 

probably getting the new CEO up to speed and hearing what ideas he has

42 minutes ago, cage said:

1. Southeast - Crown, Spirit, and Music CIty

Northeast - Surf and Boston.

Southwest - Crossmen and Genesis

West - Academy, BD, SCV, Mandarins, Troopers, Cascades, Pac Crest

Midwest - Regiment, Bluecoats, Madison, Cavies, Colts, Blue Stars

2. If you are moved in you have the same costs for food, housing ( I know you addressed this), etc

3. If the name is up for grabs why would you need to sell it, it could be just used.  If not, who owns the name?

4. Three problems with this.  1. What is this US college system?  Almost every college is owned privately or by the state they reside. 2. Many schools fields are booked solid by lucrative sports camps that are paying top dollar. 3. If you are staying on campus, most schools require you to eat the food on campus to avoid violating contracts with Aramark or whoever they have a contract with.

exactly the corps in existence, even adding in Open Class corps does not break out to make even regions. and no college is going to do anything cheap. 6 weeks of spring training, even if not paying for much in the way of fuel is costing a bundle.

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Is there anyone on the BoD who has a business or financial background? Weird how when someone who doesn’t have a DC or music background is named for a corps top spot people flip out. Cant have the music without the financial footing folks

There have been for quite a while.  Most of the business folks have some drum corps experience, but not all.  Here are the three new folks for 2024.  Stuart Pompeil is the only one that was a classic drum corps "career" guy, and he's a friggin' wizard, so I'll allow it.

https://www.dci.org/news/dci-membership-fills-open-board-of-directors-seats-2024

Mike

• Thanks 1

But SCV is hitting the road this summer, better, newer and more transparent than ever!!

If these corps directors who consider the activity unsustainable after 5 more years are unwilling to make hard decisions to make it sustainable, well, things will eventually take care of themselves.  Unfortunately. 

• Like 3