DCI Januals 2024

I'm taking a wait and see with the "new guy". So far he's been unimpressive in the keeping the drum corps kingdom informed of what's going on. Would it have killed anyone to put out statement after the Annual Meeting of your organization saying hey, I'm getting myself up to speed as quickly as possible on the challenges facing our activity, I'm meeting with XYZ regularly and will have more to say publicly in X days? 

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It is kind of like the Titanic.  It sank because too much water got into the ship.   But water got into the ship because it ran into an iceberg which tore a hole down the side.  

And it ran into an iceberg because... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm taking a wait and see with the "new guy". So far he's been unimpressive in the keeping the drum corps kingdom informed of what's going on. Would it have killed anyone to put out statement after the Annual Meeting of your organization saying hey, I'm getting myself up to speed as quickly as possible on the challenges facing our activity, I'm meeting with XYZ regularly and will have more to say publicly in X days? 

Ditto. Everything you said. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

at this stage...and i am just guessing...they probably have the mindset that if they say too much it'll actually make things worse. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, craiga said:

Some folks here like to argue for arguments sake.  To be clear, as a instructor/educator/mentor of students for more than 45 years, there is NOTHING more critical to me than member safety. Having said that, it is disingenuous to lump actual legal wrong doing into the catch basin of "sustainability". 

Not when the law (or its interpretation) on "wrong doing" changes, and what once was standard operating procedure becomes categorically unacceptable.

21 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

at this stage...and i am just guessing...they probably have the mindset that if they say too much it'll actually make things worse. 

Agreed, however:

https://www.givelife365.com/blog/crisis-management-for-nonprofits/

Specifically the section titled Crafting a Communication Strategy with honesty, consistency, and stakeholder specific messaging.

4 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Agreed, however:

https://www.givelife365.com/blog/crisis-management-for-nonprofits/

Specifically the section titled Crafting a Communication Strategy with honesty, consistency, and stakeholder specific messaging.

like drum corps cares about best practices. why start now?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

And it ran into an iceberg because... 

As we said in the military ‘Because the holes in the Swiss cheese lined up’.  Multiple things happened & it hit the ice.  One thing happens differently & ship stays afloat.  

To bring it back to DCI - if decisions had been made & enforced decades ago on member safety, or promoting all Corps, not just World class, etc we’d be in a better place.  But they didn’t.