Phantom Regiment Cancels January Camp

Due to the impending winter storms in the Chicago and Rockford areas, we have decided to CANCEL this weekend’s Phantom Regiment camp. The safety and well-being of our members and staff are our top priorities, and the forecasted conditions would severely disrupt travel and make it unsafe for everyone involved. Read the rest of the […]

View the full article

This subject line about gave me a heart attack, fearing  it is was a financial or compliance issue!  The cancellation is unfortunate but fully understandable and wise. Good on PR to prioritize safety. May they come out strong this summer!

• Like 3

Ya, the freezing rain threat is real.  Last one my parents lost electricity for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

In this case, I suspect it'd be less an issue of the camp location going without power etc. and more a logistics nightmare when half the camp is texting in to their caption heads, "Hey my flight is cancelled.  I'm delayed 3 hours, wait 4 now." etc.  Some of them would no sooner get there and it'd be a done camp and time to leave.  

Particularly where the main airports in would be O'Hare and perhaps Midway...both of which where if a bird craps on a runway, everything is delayed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Ya, the freezing rain threat is real.  Last one my parents lost electricity for 2 weeks.

And as usual in the upper Midwest, it’s going to rain, sleet, freezing rain, then a 💩 ton of snow, then it will be -15 degrees.  

• Thanks 2

Glad that BAC has all their winter camps in San Antonio now.  They are heading there as we speak, while the rest of New England braces for our third winter storm this week, the first of which dumped more than a foot of snow on us. When I was on staff in the 90s, I remember waiting for lots of kids at Logan whose flights were delayed or cancelled. Not a fun time. 

Safe travels to all who are on their way to camps all over the country.  The weather is brutal in most places.  Good luck to all who are dreaming of Finals night in Indy.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, KVG_DC said:

In this case, I suspect it'd be less an issue of the camp location going without power etc. and more a logistics nightmare when half the camp is texting in to their caption heads, "Hey my flight is cancelled.  I'm delayed 3 hours, wait 4 now." etc.  Some of them would no sooner get there and it'd be a done camp and time to leave.  

Particularly where the main airports in would be O'Hare and perhaps Midway...both of which where if a bird craps on a runway, everything is delayed.

heard O'Hare already cancelled 25% of flights today......so far

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

heard O'Hare already cancelled 25% of flights today......so far

That’s a lot of birds crapping.