DCI for staff?

Hi all! I was recently asked to join a corps local to me for their season this year on their percussion staff!

I'm deeply blessed and grateful for the opportunity to them- with one small caveat: I've never participated in Drum Corps before. I never marched at any point and this is my first teaching gig at this level.

I'm curious to learn a little more about what tour is like for staff- is it similar to the performers?

Communal showers and all? What are the expectations and responsibility's of staff on tour other than teaching? Is finals at Lucas Oil spent in a high school same as the rest of tour?

any insight is appreciated!

First, welcome. Good question, too. I can only speak from a Back in the Day perspective. It's quite different today, I'd imagine.

Long hours on a hot, basically converted old school bus, hours of rehearsal in the blazing sun, running around helping members get ready for the show (Where are my white bucks and sticks? Is my hair OK?), hyping the kids up for the show before going on the field, watching and critiquing the show yourself as performed, getting off the field, hugs or WTF were you thinking? depending on how the show went, meeting with the judges for their critiques, arguing, pleading, asking questions, back on the bus, back to the school, getting the animals tucked in and off to bed, heading back to the bus, drinking beer with other staff, off to bed at 4am, getting up and 7 to bus to the next town. 

It was glorious and wouldn't trade it for anything. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Like 2

At the recent Janual Meeting DCI implemented new stringent rules for rehearsals during spring training and on tour in order to ensure that the safety and well-being of the members is top priority at all times.   Your duties and responsibilities should be listed in your employment contract.  You will be given training on what you can and can't do when you are teaching. Expectations should be clearly spelled out.   Other than teaching you should not have any other responsivities other than be on time when the buses depart each time.  Since corps stay in schools' communal showers are the norm but you will have a specific time when you can shower.   Drinking in public is not allowed so is restricted to staff bus.   

• Like 1

i'd talk to staff there as well, as things can vary from corps to corps, so you'll want to get an idea of how that corps runs things

• Like 1

Staff are no longer allowed to shower with members, nor can any one staff person ever be alone with any one member.   It is known as the three person rule.  You will be fingerprinted and undergo a Criminal Record History Check, and you absolutely have to watch your language in front of the members.  If you see or even hear about any abusive language or behavior you will be required to report it to your corps' reporting authority immediately.  You will ride on a designated staff bus and sleep in designated staff sleeping areas. Ninety percent of the time on tour the members will be in a gym where staff are not permitted to be, and usually staff sleep in a bandroom or other classroom.   The only time most corps sleep in a hotel is in Indy, if at all.  You may get lucky and have dorm rooms at movein.

One last tip...

Most members and staff have some version of a bus box to carry snacks, munchies etc.   Never bring chocolate because it will melt.

Good luck and bring LOTS of sunscreen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcifanforlife said:

At the recent Janual Meeting DCI implemented new stringent rules for rehearsals during spring training and on tour in order to ensure that the safety and well-being of the members is top priority at all times.   Your duties and responsibilities should be listed in your employment contract.  You will be given training on what you can and can't do when you are teaching. Expectations should be clearly spelled out.   Other than teaching you should not have any other responsivities other than be on time when the buses depart each time.  Since corps stay in schools' communal showers are the norm but you will have a specific time when you can shower.   Drinking in public is not allowed so is restricted to staff bus.   

I guess I haven't been paying attention. Can anyone point me in the direction where I can read about these new rules? Please and Thank You!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RContra said:

Why on earth are you asking DCP and not your admin or fellow staff members? Makes me doubt this is real. 

Why not get more perspectives? 

4 hours ago, dcifanforlife said:

Drinking in public is not allowed so is restricted to staff bus.   

And the buses are parked on school grounds where drinking and usually smoking are not allowed.