A Great Article on The Cadets

Unless some miracle happens, this is the end of the Cadets. So a great article summarizing some historical accomplishments. 

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Unless some miracle happens, this is the end of the Cadets. So a great article summarizing some historical accomplishments. 

I’m afraid you’re probably right.  Jim was tearing up watching the videos.  He really loves that corps. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’m afraid you’re probably right.  Jim was tearing up watching the videos.  He really loves that corps. 

I was thrilled to have them move to Erie and support them in every way I can and saw a great future for them here. 

• Thanks 1

When I as a youth was deciding to follow a path of Boy Scouts or Drum Corps the decision was made for me when the Sherrif showed up to one of my Scout meetings and arrested our Scout Master.

As it turns out, one of my Scout friends was molested by said Scout master at a camping trip.

I missed said camping trip because I was at a Drum Corps event (if I remember a local St Patrick’s parade).

For some reason I have a strong motivation for the responsible oversight of Drum Corps, and I could care less about Boy Scouts.

It is incumbent on the stakeholders of these organizations to protect them, and guide them.

Wherever opportunity exists it will be taken advantage of.

Drum Corps are a target rich environment.

Others will follow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

I was thrilled to have them move to Erie and support them in every way I can and saw a great future for them here. 

Know some of the Erie people and was getting the newsletter. All I could think was “#### there goes another corps in Erie”.  (Competed against Thunderbirds in the 70s)

Just when thought I had finished my grieving process, I read this article and here I go again (sigh!)..I guess nothing lasts forever..Peace

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i know i saw them in the 70's and of course 80-82, but there was a show at Cedar Cliff high school in 1983 on a hot Sunday afternoon and the Cadets came out and floored 14 year old me. back when you could easily sneak in a tape recorder, i played that tape so many times i wore it out. i didn't know the business side of drum corps, but man most years for a long time i loved the Cadets....89 is still in my top 5. Later on as i got to know more about the other side i confess at times my views on the leadership may have colored my view on the on field product, but i learned to separate the kids from the adult. i'm still surprised they survived 18, and their performance in Allentown will always be one of the most mesmerizing performances i have ever seen. but i have felt for too many years the need to beat everyone over the head with all things maroon and gold/1934 hurt the on field product, because when they were cleaning up, tradition wasn't so blatantly designed into everything.

i had hoped the move to Erie would be good, but i had reservations just knowing enough about the lay of the land up there. and even with a not so fun recent interaction with a member of their admin team, i do wish the best for them, but it seems to me for too long they were running from firestorm to firestorm trying to stay ahead of everything, but it Garfield, Bergen County, Allentown, Sponsored by YEA or Erie. sooner or later that stuff catches up. but if SCV can come back ( for now at least) maybe Cadets can too. And if they do......they need to do a lot of looking outside the family and get good, smart devoted people in there behind the scenes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Even though it's not likely, I truly hope and pray they somehow make it through this. Losing any corps sucks, especially one as storied as the Cadets. Despite the negative image that Hopkins and Co. brought onto the organization, there is still an incredible legacy left behind.

On a side note: I loved that line in the article that talked about how "nobody marched faster." That made me giggle for a sec, because one time when I was watching the 2005 show on YouTube, they were marching so fast in the opener that I had actually thought the video was being sped up for a second. I had to double check to make sure the playback speed was set to "normal." Absolutely mind-blowing technique.

• Like 8