A Great Article on The Cadets

27 minutes ago, dcifanforlife said:

All that is left is the Championship Trophies which should probably just disappear for several years. 

I think the article shows that Cadets is more than one former director and the mess he created. We can’t forget Cadets’ significant accomplishments are due to many talented people and marchers.  The beauty of 1984, the innovation of 2000, the majesty and intricacy of 2011 just to name three years still stand. Old trophies at best are behind glass but more often are put somewhere and collect dust and only mean something to those who earned them. Often no one knows what happened to them, so Cadets trophies may go by the wayside, but if we’re going to learn from the mistakes we can’t forget the legacy.

• Like 4

I’m pretty sick of the random person saying cadets are gonna shut down. We went through this with SCV and they are alive and kickin’

1 hour ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

I’m pretty sick of the random person saying cadets are gonna shut down. We went through this with SCV and they are alive and kickin’

The situation with SCV was a lot different.

If I read correctly, their issues had to do with the state compliance, including their BINGO operation.

The Cadets are dealing with both financial and legal issues.

If the stories about The Cadets liquidating assets are true, they are in a dire financial situation.

Living in North Jersey, I know a number of Cadets alumni.

They all say the same thing about the Cadets selling off pretty much everything.

From the Board Chair's October 16,2023 "Message"  I anticipated some type of "follow up". But, to date, nothing.

I would think if The Cadets planned on coming back, they'd be doing some type fund raising, including for the Maroon and Gold Club.

I've been a member of the Maroon and Gold Club going back to the early 80's but haven't heard a word from the organization.

The on going litigation just makes things worse.

The "Cadets Are Being Sued . . . "  thread provides a pretty good analysis of the legal problems the organization faces.

I would love to see The Cadets back on the field.

Just doesn't seem like, even if  it can happen ,it  won't be anytime  soon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

SCV is in a better financial situation to come back after a year off. They own their own property and have two bingo locations. The property in Santa Clara is in the heart of Silicone Valley.

• Like 1

What you say could prove to be true and it would be wonderful for it to be true, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Yes SCV is scheduled to field a corps this year and with some of the folks involved, it could be promising, but until we see the corps on the field, we can’t say “alive and kicken’.” I say this as someone who was surprised Spirit came back as strong as they did, so I realize you never know. However, Cadets’ situation sounds closer to Glassmen who also had to liquidate their assets after they decided not to field a corps. Glassmen never had the drama prior to the former director leaving or the drama and at times chaos that followed his departure, not to mention pending lawsuits. Cadets could compete again, but it would mean starting from scratch.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

The situation with SCV was a lot different.

If I read correctly, their issues had to do with the state compliance, including their BINGO operation.

The Cadets are dealing with both financial and legal issues.

If the stories about The Cadets liquidating assets are true, they are in a dire financial situation.

Living in North Jersey, I know a number of Cadets alumni.

They all say the same thing about the Cadets selling off pretty much everything.

From the Board Chair's October 16,2023 "Message"  I anticipated some type of "follow up". But, to date, nothing.

I would think if The Cadets planned on coming back, they'd be doing some type fund raising, including for the Maroon and Gold Club.

I've been a member of the Maroon and Gold Club going back to the early 80's but haven't heard a word from the organization.

The on going litigation just makes things worse.

The "Cadets Are Being Sued . . . "  thread provides a pretty good analysis of the legal problems the organization faces.

I would love to see The Cadets back on the field.

Just doesn't seem like, even if  it can happen ,it  won't be anytime  soon.

35 minutes ago, Tim K said:

What you say could prove to be true and it would be wonderful for it to be true, but there are a few things to keep in mind. Yes SCV is scheduled to field a corps this year and with some of the folks involved, it could be promising, but until we see the corps on the field, we can’t say “alive and kicken’.” I say this as someone who was surprised Spirit came back as strong as they did, so I realize you never know. However, Cadets’ situation sounds closer to Glassmen who also had to liquidate their assets after they decided not to field a corps. Glassmen never had the drama prior to the former director leaving or the drama and at times chaos that followed his departure, not to mention pending lawsuits. Cadets could compete again, but it would mean starting from scratch.

Issue is the legal process is held up and drawn out just like most legal processes. 

The Cadets “can’t” fundraise because any funds they collect/have on hand could just go straight to a settlement. (I say “can’t” because they technically can, but why would you?) 

They already don’t have money. Which is why DCI was added to the list of defendants. In all truth, this lawsuit could take down DCI altogether. DCI has a stronger argument against them being involved compared to The Cadets. 

This isn’t the same situation as SCV. SCV just had mismanagement issues. Cadets are involved in a legal issue that has social backing and the writing is on the wall. They’re done. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tim K said:

A lot of people on this forum (myself included) thought that SCV wouldn’t even be at this point.

2 hours ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Issue is the legal process is held up and drawn out just like most legal processes. 

The Cadets “can’t” fundraise because any funds they collect/have on hand could just go straight to a settlement. (I say “can’t” because they technically can, but why would you?) 

They already don’t have money. Which is why DCI was added to the list of defendants. In all truth, this lawsuit could take down DCI altogether. DCI has a stronger argument against them being involved compared to The Cadets. 

This isn’t the same situation as SCV. SCV just had mismanagement issues. Cadets are involved in a legal issue that has social backing and the writing is on the wall. They’re done. 

Question for lawyers here - If settlement exceeds cash available, who gets paid first - the plaintiff or the lawyers?   Or is there some kind of split that is settled on?

41 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Question for lawyers here - If settlement exceeds cash available, who gets paid first - the plaintiff or the lawyers?   Or is there some kind of split that is settled on?

Typically depends on lawyer-client agreement. Usually court fees/other mandatory expenses are deducted from settlements paid.

• Thanks 1