A Great Article on The Cadets

A fond memory of Garfield, New Jersey:  In 1972 we stayed several days at Garfield High School(?).  The neighbors across the street let us practice on their lawn for sectionals and brought us refreshments.  One restaurant owner invited the entire corps to dinner at his pizza restaurant.  To show our appreciation to the town and the Cadets we did our show for them.  They loved it and then we did a second run-through.  In all my experience in Drum Corps we were never treated better than at Garfield. 

I hope the Cadets come back next year strong. 

• Like 4

Great article and thanks for posting.  I've been a DC fan since I was in HS.  The Cadets were always one of my favorites so to have my son march his rookie season last year with The Cadets was special.   He had an incredible time, learned a lot about himself/the activity and made life-long friends.  He had zero complaints about the Cadets organization and his experience.  He grieved for days after they announced there would be no 2024.  He's now moved on to another corp and as a parent, I can only hope that his experience this coming summer is as great as his Cadets 2023 experience was.   No matter what the future holds for the Cadets, one thing will never change for our family, FHNSAB.  

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, ironlips said:

Much as we love "Gloom and Doom" around here, and not that I have any inside information, but I wouldn't write them off just yet.

I'm in your camp on this. Well, maybe 50/50. Somehow, I just can't believe given all of the history, alumni base and glory of this corps that someone's going to say nope, this ain't happening while I'm still alive and pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

Word from the Jannuals was that they had liquidated assets, sent no representation to the annual meetings, and it was voted to suspend their membership.  If that is so, it will be difficult to be sure.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Daave said:

Word from the Jannuals was that they had liquidated assets, sent no representation to the annual meetings, and it was voted to suspend their membership.  If that is so, it will be difficult to be sure.

i asked about liquidation and was told if i didnt say who said it, they wouldn't answer anything. i thanked the Godfather for the non answer

10 minutes ago, Daave said:

This is EXACTLY what I heard as well

14 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I'm in your camp on this. Well, maybe 50/50. Somehow, I just can't believe given all of the history, alumni base and glory of this corps that someone's going to say nope, this ain't happening while I'm still alive and pull a rabbit out of the hat. 

It might take two rabbits, and one would have to be as tenacious as that little devil from Monty Python.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

A fond memory of Garfield, New Jersey:  In 1972 we stayed several days at Garfield High School(?).  The neighbors across the street let us practice on their lawn for sectionals and brought us refreshments.  One restaurant owner invited the entire corps to dinner at his pizza restaurant.  To show our appreciation to the town and the Cadets we did our show for them.  They loved it and then we did a second run-through.  In all my experience in Drum Corps we were never treated better than at Garfield. 

I hope the Cadets come back next year strong. 

I enjoyed watching your guard doing the side slams on the tennis court

and my favorite part was the guard pointing their pole through the battery

arc in American Salute (Johnny Comes Marching Home). (Chase those battery judges away. LOL)

Edited by denverjohn
correction
  • Like 1