A Great Article on The Cadets

33 minutes ago, RiverCityAndTroopersFan said:

A post on Reddit shows an alleged text from Mr. Hall. The text never mentions buying the cadets uniforms, instead just buying their traditional maroon and gold uniforms that they could have bought from anywhere.

Dancing on the head of a pin....apparently, the Cadets BOD read the post the same way that I did, since they felt the need to actually vote against selling them.

"We will be wearing the Cadets' traditional maroon and gold uniforms "....

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, Vuitton said:

This is just beyond sad if the Cadets do not return and it's not looking likely from what everyone is saying. In 10 years there are going to be 6 corps, and yet DCI will still have a quarterfinals, semifinals and finals in Indiana.

That was the plan with G7 and even further back in the 90’s with the supercorps idea. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Selling US Bands really had to hurt. 

It did, but in addition to the lawsuits facing YEA, band directors on the Atlantic seaboard were getting really fed up with the way USBands was being run (a lot had to do with scheduling and last-minute, poorly communicated changes from the stories I have heard first-hand). The NESBA gained more bands in Massachusetts, a group of band directors in Maryland started up their own circuit (MMBA) to get away from USBands, and I believe Cavalcade picked up some groups, too.

I think USBands has started to recover under the Blue Devils' leadership, but damage was definitely done to the circuit's reputation.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

That was the plan with G7 and even further back in the 90’s with the supercorps idea. 

Yeah but the execution of the plan didn’t include eliminating every corps that has adults who can’t keep it zipped up around the minors.  I guess in the end you get to the same point though. Very few corps. The corps unwillingness to address financial pressures, combined with inappropriate/ illegal personal behavior from the people who are supposed to be the adults in the room, has really taken a toll on this activity. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

They had to. Or suits against YEA would have killed it

While this is technically true, it's not quite how it happened.   Even after the acquisition, things were very tenuous with USBands.  Judges, bands, show hosts -- there was a lot that could have gone wrong.  

In any case the Cadets were literally run by USBands.   The Cadets income didn't begin to cover their expenses.  Despite this financial reality,  the people running the program received no respect or recognition from the clown supposedly in charge (or for that matter from the entire drum corps side of the house).  

7 hours ago, hostrauser said:

It did, but in addition to the lawsuits facing YEA, band directors on the Atlantic seaboard were getting really fed up with the way USBands was being run (a lot had to do with scheduling and last-minute, poorly communicated changes from the stories I have heard first-hand). The NESBA gained more bands in Massachusetts, a group of band directors in Maryland started up their own circuit (MMBA) to get away from USBands, and I believe Cavalcade picked up some groups, too.

I think USBands has started to recover under the Blue Devils' leadership, but damage was definitely done to the circuit's reputation.

TOB exploded in NJ, as well as NJ started their own circuit too. However in the last 2 years, USBands picked up a ton of PA bands, and Cavalcade grew too. TOB is basically non existant in Eastern and Northern PA east of the mountains to the NJ border

• Like 2

4 hours ago, karuna said:

While this is technically true, it's not quite how it happened.   Even after the acquisition, things were very tenuous with USBands.  Judges, bands, show hosts -- there was a lot that could have gone wrong.  

In any case the Cadets were literally run by USBands.   The Cadets income didn't begin to cover their expenses.  Despite this financial reality,  the people running the program received no respect or recognition from the clown supposedly in charge (or for that matter from the entire drum corps side of the house).  

oh no USBands was a revolving door. how many times was Sean in and out?

14 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Yeah but the execution of the plan didn’t include eliminating every corps that has adults who can’t keep it zipped up around the minors.  I guess in the end you get to the same point though. Very few corps. The corps unwillingness to address financial pressures, combined with inappropriate/ illegal personal behavior from the people who are supposed to be the adults in the room, has really taken a toll on this activity. 

Isn't it ironic that the architect of the G7 conspiracy is now a disgraced felon whose drum corps no longer exists? He used to say, "We are the act!"

How right he was. 

• Like 2