A Great Article on The Cadets

7 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

When I reached out to her, I got the impression she was not on the beat anymore. She redirected me to local news outlets.

She has a new job as an investigative reporter for USA Today with a much broader purview.

https://www.usatoday.com/staff/2646173001/tricia-l-nadolny/  

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Tim K said:

I knew someone who marched with Garfield Cadets from 78 or 79 to 82. He went to school in Boston and we had a mutual friend. His story was not that different from those who marched in other corps who move up in placement. He loved the family atmosphere of when he first marched. He’s my major source of the miracle in 1980 where the threat of not finishing the season and certainly not making finals was real and then finding themselves in 10th. 81 things began to change. He struggled in 82. New instructors were brutal, volunteers and longtime members pushed out, and the atmosphere changed. He was a year or two older than me and I don’t recall if he aged out. He was always loyal to Cadets, never spoke about wild parties, and his comments only came when the discussion went to George Zingali and the influx of former 27th Lancers. 

Looking back at that time, it did seem that for many corps, the harder you worked, the harder you partied. For some, partying hard is why they didn’t make finals but that’s another story. Whether that happened with Cadets, I can’t say but whatever the corps, underage marching members, in the case of the young woman a high school student, with college age kids and adult instructors all at the same party is a recipe for disaster, especially when 1983 became 1984.

On 3/9/2024 at 11:17 AM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This was my thought based on the preview of the document so I could see. It only named the party “The Garfield Cadets”. After thinking about it, since the judge ruled CAE is the same organization, it would be a clean up tactic to remove parties that aren’t actually applicable at this sense.

Could that somehow save the plaintiff money? With court costs or attorney fees by reducing the amount of parties? Not sure. 

I’m tempted to just pay for the service to go to all the docs and see. 

Don't bother.  I set up an account with the new jersey superior court and have access to the documents that that site locks behind a paywall.  Let me know what documents you want and if allowed I'll post them here

• Like 3

8 hours ago, cjthekid said:

Don't bother.  I set up an account with the new jersey superior court and have access to the documents that that site locks behind a paywall.  Let me know what documents you want and if allowed I'll post them here

More looking to see if the warning for dismissal was for all parties or just “Garfield Cadets”

On 3/9/2024 at 11:17 AM, TheOneWhoKnows said:

This was my thought based on the preview of the document so I could see. It only named the party “The Garfield Cadets”. After thinking about it, since the judge ruled CAE is the same organization, it would be a clean up tactic to remove parties that aren’t actually applicable at this sense.

Could that somehow save the plaintiff money? With court costs or attorney fees by reducing the amount of parties? Not sure. 

I’m tempted to just pay for the service to go to all the docs and see. 

The dismissal reads only as Garfield Cadets. Given that CAE is a third party defendant I would assume that by dismissing the primary party, all other parties would also be dismissed. However the plaintiff has 60 days to fix this. The Settlement meeting is in april so there’s a possibility that the prosecution uses this as a bargaining chip, but I’m not a lawyer so I’m really not sure. I’ll send the dismissal notice in a bit.

My friend's dad mentioned that The Cadets organization are moving to Tennessee.  I hadn't heard anything about it on here and wanted to see if there was any validity to the claim.  

I didn't figure this was a thing, all things considered.

On 3/9/2024 at 3:22 AM, BigW said:

You were a strapping young lad then! heck, I was under 30! 😎

high school....senior year i think.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

When I reached out to her, I got the impression she was not on the beat anymore. She redirected me to local news outlets.

yeah i reached out a while ago when I think the Spirit story broke and i got the impression now with USA Today she was on the topics they wanted covered. and she also referred to local media, but i asked if she had contacts in Atlanta and she said no. i'm surprised the Lehigh valley media hasn't done more with this, but maybe since they moved, they don't care.

11 hours ago, cjthekid said:

any and all too big of an ask? LOL

• Like 1