Ticket Prices

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I, for one, have expanded since my marching days.  

Mine still fit before I did the great purge. I still weigh the same so i imagine it would still fit. I’ve went up and down in weight five or ten pounds for several years but I weigh about the same as when I marched.  
Jim had a VK jacket from when he was helping them out in the 80’s and it was so small because he was in the Marine Corps.  Definitely wouldn’t have fit him now. 😂 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I'm not arguing any of that, I'm simply arguing the cost/benefit analysis. There exists a financial tipping point where the benefit of seeing corps in person no longer provide a significant enough value to justify the cost, when you can watch the shows for free pretty ubiquitously at home.

Arguing is not the right word.  You are simply making a personal choice, just like thousands of other people.  If enough of those personal choices empty enough of the bleachers at drum corps events, they might drive ticket prices down.  Conversely, prices may rise if enough people choose to pay that premium.

Now, the choice to watch online, but not through the legitimate channel provided by FloMarching... well, that is another kind of personal choice.

Realistically, I don't expect prices for drum corps to go down...Nor do I begrudge the promoters their fair share and the fans who support them...What I'd like to see is the corps getting serious money from an online service like FLO if the viewership numbers reflect a significant increase in DCI interest such that their profits from the broadcasts warrant a larger percentage for drum corps..I don't know if drum corps receives any money from FLO..I just assume that to be the case..That's all..PEACE

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, waliman4444 said:

Realistically, I don't expect prices for drum corps to go down...Nor do I begrudge the promoters their fair share and the fans who support them...What I'd like to see is the corps getting serious money from an online service like FLO if the viewership numbers reflect a significant increase in DCI interest such that their profits from the broadcasts warrant a larger percentage for drum corps..I don't know if drum corps receives any money from FLO..I just assume that to be the case..That's all..PEACE

Yes, I think this is the crux of the situation. 

The financial realities are going to continue to get more complicated, and simply raising the price of tickets isn't going to fix that. Reimagining what the model looks like, and how content is delivered in a way that's worth the cost and accessible, is going to be the real focus. 

17 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

What popular bands can you see live for $55 - $75? 

Based on the cost of other entertainment options in 2024, I believe ticket prices are in line. 

I have seen, or will see, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Two Door Cinema Club, Metric, Kim Petras, Arcade Fire, Pink, Daði Freyr, Dirty Loops, Snarky Puppy, Camera Obscura, Jenny Lewis, and others all for less than $75 in the last year or so, even with Ticketmaster fees. Not to mention I can usually see the BSO for less than that depending on the seats. I'm seeing them play the Turangalila in April and I payed $52 for a front row balcony seat.

For someone who sees a LOT of shows, that was a surprising amount.  

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MarimbaManiac said:

I have seen, or will see, Death Cab for Cutie, Postal Service, Two Door Cinema Club, Metric, Kim Petras, Arcade Fire, Pink, Daði Freyr, Dirty Loops, Snarky Puppy, Camera Obscura, Jenny Lewis, and others all for less than $75 in the last year or so, even with Ticketmaster fees. Not to mention I can usually see the BSO for less than that depending on the seats. I'm seeing them play the Turangalila in April and I payed $52 for a front row balcony seat.

I know I'm out of touch, but you could offer to pay *me* $75 to name any tune done by any of those bands and I'd be stumped. 

A woman in the office asked me to name a single Taylor Swift song. I couldn't do it.  She was also shocked to learn I've never seen a full episode of Friends in my entire life. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, waliman4444 said:

i wonder how much licensing costs eat into whatever DCI makes.

35 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I know I'm out of touch, but you could offer to pay *me* $75 to name any tune done by any of those bands and I'd be stumped. 

A woman in the office asked me to name a single Taylor Swift song. I couldn't do it.  She was also shocked to learn I've never seen a full episode of Friends in my entire life. 

Give Snarky Puppy a try. 😎👍🏽

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

I listen to classic rock in the car.  I can tell you any Steely Dan song in five notes or less.   

• Like 4

2 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I think most professional sports franchises make more money from television contracts than gate.  Maybe college, too.