Shows that surprised you and glad you saw live

14 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

We need something like musical reform schools today. 

11 hours ago, ironlips said:

I couldn't agree more, and I'm not kidding.

I marched at the tail end of that era; from our 50-member Corps we had/have 2 college professors, several military officers, an Alaska crab fisherman, several government employees, engineers, a spy, a Catholic priest (no one saw that coming), multiple financial and tech industry professionals, several business owners, 2 band directors and probably more that I don’t know of.   And we can trace it to the ethos taught in Drum Corps.   All from one little Corps.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
Forgot someone
  • Like 4

Re: '64 Kevin's. Iron Lips, I couldn't agree more. It is fascinating to hear how Frank Bergdoll bobs and weaves to deal with the limitations of the instruments so creatively. The drum stuff is hip for the era, brass and percussion ensembles are squeaky clean and the French horns crackless -- a true accomplishment. "This Nearly Was Mine" has long been my favorite Kevins' thing. Bergdoll was certainly a pioneer. I don't think there are fighter fighters writing for top drum corps any more. We owe the pioneers a huge debt of gratitude.

• Like 1

The Blue Stars 2008-2011 - August shows, close to end of season

The Blue Stars during these years were visually and musically one of my favorite corps. I will also say they weee inspirational, as they were a corps making a come back. Those two things made seeing them live, something special. In particular 2010 (Houdini) and 2011 (Bourne Supremacy/ Matrix), when first hearing them live, were wow moments. I have always felt 2010 was underrated, with an equally impressive 2011 show that featured music that you likely wouldn’t have expected to hear on the field ( but really cool to see they did it! )

The Blue Knights : 2011 - 2012 Drums Along the Rockies 

BK was in a classical throwback mode at the time. Those were shows that I really love. I had a chance to see them evolve as I volunteered over the course of those years at camps and other events preseason. BK 2011 had some of my favorite music from past years in the show. Volunteering, I saw Ralph Hardimon working with the drumline line quite often, and remember the time I first saw them putting the Scottish drumming into the show. By the time BK got to DATR, you could see it becoming a crowd favorite.  
But as for one of the best drum corps moments I have ever seen, BK’s DATR 2012 performance was something  special to see. I had seen parts of that show being put together at practices and camps, as well as other times when I was helping on the food truck. I saw it being put together, so to speak, but not the whole thing early that season. I was hoping to see it live as a volunteer DATR. Unfortunately, rain was causing performances to be standstill that night. However, as the last corps on, BK came out in did their full field show. And it was, if you were there, epic. 

Phantom Regiment 2008 - First shows of the season on their California Tour - San Diego, Corps at the Crest, Riverside. 

I got to see Spartacus early season as the corps made their SoCal tour. I remember the San Diego/ Oceanside show the most, as that one was where I did their lot, and heard them in that incredible season for the first time. 

Their brass warm up at the San Diego show had barely anyone there. They warmed up in a place that was further out from the stadium, so you wouldn’t have known where they were unless you followed them from the busses. In their lot, it was me and  two other people. Phantom warmed up in a soccer field, and instead of arcing it up, they formed more of a linear formation as if they were doing basic block.  This enabled me to be about 15 feet from the corps as they played various parts of the show, which I was hearing for the first time. They ended  their lot with Canon from their 2003 show, and the sustained chords from 2007 Firebird. From that moment on, I think I knew this was going to be a special year. 
They wowed the crowd that evening with the intensity and drama that the show is known for. True, a lot of what we saw evolve into the show that year was not there at that time. But the intensity of what it could become, was felt in the crowd that night. They lost to Vanguard that evening, But if I remember correctly, they had overcome SCV and were closing their gap on BD before they left Cali. 

Edited by Dmlkmen
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I marched at the tail end of that era; from our 50-member Corps we had/have 2 college professors, several military officers, an Alaska crab fisherman, several government employees, engineers, a spy, a Catholic priest (no one saw that coming), multiple financial and tech industry professionals, several business owners, 2 band directors and probably more that I don’t know of.   And we can trace it to the ethos taught in Drum Corps.   All from one little Corps.  

Mr. Warren would recruit guard members from the juvenile detention home.  I heard that story from an old Cavalier I marched with in the RA reunion corps.  He said that young lives were turned around.  He rescued them and gave them purpose.   Sie Lurye and many others did the same thing. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Mr. Warren would recruit guard members from the juvenile detention home.  I heard that story from an old Cavalier I marched with in the RA reunion corps.  He said that young lives were turned around.  He rescued them and gave them purpose.   Sie Lurye and many others did the same thing. 

Just about every CYO corps basically did the same thing.  "Either you see Fr. XXXXXXXX and join that corps or you'll get no more breaks in juvenile court".

• Like 2

On 3/2/2024 at 2:36 PM, TOC said:

an amazing performance

• Like 1

After 2 decades of losing touch with drum corps and with 4 young kids, i brought my family to their first dci show (my oldest was about to start high school marching band and I wanted to get him interested in the activity.)

The only corps I knew at the show was Blue Devils and I knew they would win.   I never even heard of any of the other corps that were competing that night.   Then I saw the show that fully brought me back into total DCI geekiness-   2013 Carolina Crown.   That was the most incredible sound I’d ever heard.   I was instantly hooked again.  The show was Riverside, California 2013.  Pacific Crest and Mandarins were also competing in World Class along with Gold and impulse from OC.

I dreamed of the day one of my kids ended up performing with Crown.  The two oldest marched 4 years of high school marching band but didn’t show interest in continuing on to DCI.  It wasn’t until the 3rd kid, as a freshman in high school…he and his best band buddy recreated music from SCVs, My Body is a cage, and did it pretty convincingly…as high school freshmen!    There was hope for me yet to have a son one day marching with Crown.

That pair has since been auditioning and marching various corps, all in the pursuit of excellence.  My son auditioned for Mandarins as a 14 year old, but was cut at the first camp.   They liked him, but thought he was way too young.  He ended up marching Gold for his first DCI year.   He then went to The Academy, only to lose the season to Covid.   The pair marched Pacific Crest for a year,  then set their goals higher.  My kid marched another year with PC before becoming a member with Blue Devils last year.   His buddy was contracted at SCV, but had to scramble to find another corps to march when they abruptly shut the season down.   Poor kid ended up at Carolina Crown!

I find it kinda ironic that the friend’s dad wanted his kid to march with BD, while I wanted my son to march Crown.  Still, we’re both really happy our kids ended up where they are today.  

I have one son that just started high school, and has 11 years experience going to every one of his brothers band competitions, and DCI shows.  I still dream of one of my kids marching Crown so I can properly wear Crown gear and not get crap from my son for it.  lol.  

• Like 4

oooohhhhh.....

BD 94. they came East early and saw them at Allentown. the fight for second began that night, and it was just a matter of how close anyone else would get because eventually BD would run out of numbers.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TOC said:

Just about every CYO corps basically did the same thing.  "Either you see Fr. XXXXXXXX and join that corps or you'll get no more breaks in juvenile court".

THAT'S what I'm talking about, and some of these corps produced some pretty big surprises.

Two in particular, from Bridgeport, CT, are prime examples, the PAL Cadets and St. Raphael's Golden Buccaneers.

The former performed in that legendary 1965 VFW Finals mentioned earlier, finishing just a couple of tenths behind Madison, and the latter established themselves as national contenders that same year, finishing 3rd at the World Open. Those achievements surprised many in the Drum Corps community.

Most of these folks are still around and managed to stay on the right side of the law. In fact, one became a police chief and mayor.

Surprise, surprise.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The first time you saw 1996 BD. Club Blue, Gangster Chronicle. Tell me you didn’t jump in your seat on that first hit!

Ok here’s an obscure one. 1978 27th Lancers. If I remember correctly they started at the corner of the field and the first move (with the color guard out front) was a “head chopper”.  Rifle toss / flags sweep over the heads of the rifles as the rifles are still in the air.  Hoo boy that impressed my teenage self!!

Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 3