Shows that surprised you and glad you saw live

I enjoyed 2013 when Crown won it’s first title and 2016 when Bloo took top honors. Since I probably won’t be in Indy in 2025 (I need to take a long overdue return trip to Ireland), I’m hoping to see BAC take home their first title this year.

I’d  also like to mention the 1979 CYO Nationals. North Star had a great early and mid season and beat Bridgemen and 27th on quite a few occasions. North Star beat 27th and Bridgemen the night before as well as Madison. It was believed to be a fluke. 27th had won the World Open, Bridgemen had an off night as did Madison. At CYO Nationals, Madison came back with a vengeance, 27th had a great show that in my opinion was stronger than the performance at World Open and should have won. North Star was great, but 3rd at best, probably 4th, but there was no way they’d beat 27th or Madison. They did. At the time 27th was one of my favorite corps and though I loved North Star, that was when Madison was Madison and could blast you from this world to the next. When the scores were announced and North Star won again, the reaction of the crowd who did not agree with the judging was something else. Let’s just say it’s a good thing the old “what didn’t get settled on the field will get settled in the parking lot” was no longer the rule of the day. Another memorable performance that night was a small but powerful Boston Crusaders.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Surf 2000 as well as SCVC in 2000

BK 99 yeah. BK 19...i really didn't think i'd like it live, as online meh...but it had me hooked.

i'm sure with time to think i'll come up with more

June 28th, 2014, Glendora CA, witnessing Felliniesque.

It was my first live show of the season, and all also the night the DCI season officially ended, because it didn't matter what anyone else was doing that year. DCI needed an alien drum corps from another world in 2014, because no one on earth was beating BD and that show. 

Edited by Chief Guns
  • Like 3

I’m not going very far back.  Mandarins last year. I’m usually kind of meh about them. Not that they aren’t good because they are.  It’s me. But when I saw them in Cincinnati last August…holy moly… 🥰

First runner up:  2022 Troopers.  Didn’t see that coming either. .  

• Like 7

Oh 2000 too.

SCV 2000.  I've shared this story before but my grandmother died Jan 1, 2000 and for a LOT of reasons, I was unable to truly grieve for a long time. SCV put Adagio for Strings out there Thursday night after a long hot day in the stands watching all the corps and that rifle toss from midfield to the end zone at the most dramatic moment is when I finally was able to 'feel feelings' more fully again.  That night I was having the strains Barber float through my head.  I woke up the next morning for my walk before eating and getting around to head in for Semifinals and I swear I'm hearing Adagio for Strings....but nah, it's still just in my head.  As I complete my walk back at the end of the cul de sac in my apartment complex where there's a middle school.  HOLY CRAP...there's SCV rehearsing the ballad still.  I WAS hearing that.  I sat by the fence at the back line and just listen and sobbed.  Then went in and got lunch and ready to go on in for Semis.

Boston 2000 as well.  Anyone who saw Red on finals night can tell you how special that show and performance was.

• Like 7

Ok, climb into "The 'Way Back Machine":

St. Kevin's Emerald Knights at the Dream in Roosevelt Stadium, August, 1964 B.M. (Before Mellophones)

They had been solid for years, but that show had always belonged to Jersey corps like Garfield and Blessed Sacrament. Not this time, though SKEK won by only a whisker thin margin of less than 3 tenths, on the tick system. Truth be told, it really wasn't close at all.

If the "Stars and Stripes" company front (complete with obbligato sop on the piccolo part) wasn't evidence enough, by the time Barbara Bergdoll had stepped out of her Color Guard captain role and finished conducting the concert of "South Rampart", all of us in the stands knew it was all over. (Note the crowd response.)

To this day, I have never heard so many "fuggedaboudits"!

(This may sound primitive to "modern" ears. Bugles were barely more than glorified plumbing parts, with most accidentals played by pulling the tuning slides. Acceptable intonation was more of a hope than a reality and brass sections averaged about 32 members. Multi-toms and tympani were not yet on the horizon. Nobody could read music, save one or two instructors. Corps were not arts education entities, more like musical reform schools. It was the best of times.)

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 5

"Musical Reform Schools"  💀

But yeah. 

• Haha 1