Bluecoats 2023 Diversity & Socioeconomic Impact Report

3 hours ago, JimF-LowBari said:

My dad was in the army shortly after it was integrated. His training group (Army Corps of Engineers) was formerly all Black so he was pretty “outnumbered”. 😆 They worked together so color meant squat. That was how I was raised.

I moved to west shore of the river and some called it the “white shore” for sarcasm. After I moved found some of my neighbors were proud of that name. 🤮  Best part was being told “you know what kind of people live over there”. I said “yeah.. me.. my family.. my friends”. 🤬

having grown up 4/5 blocks away from where you are now, when we moved in the neighbor called the realtor to see "what they are" so he would know if he needed to build a privacy fence.

so having many diverse friends in neighboring districts, i made sure to invite them over frequently. even more so when i joined the corps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll add another WAY here because it’s true. 

Also way way more affordable which help get more types of people.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

Honestly, anything can be political as soon as a politician says it is... and certainly once two politicians start arguing about it.  

No argument there, but didn’t think there were politicians in the Bluecoats.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

having grown up 4/5 blocks away from where you are now, when we moved in the neighbor called the realtor to see "what they are" so he would know if he needed to build a privacy fence.

so having many diverse friends in neighboring districts, i made sure to invite them over frequently. even more so when i joined the corps.

Hope you and your friends spent a lot of time in the front yard. 😈

Well you know Kris and my mentality. 😈 Every time a house would go up for sale we’d hope for minority or a nice gay couple. 
It is a lot better than used to be since we bought 30+ (gag) years ago. Mostly because the hard heads have died off.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

41 minutes ago, cixelsyd said:

I think that is why nearly all the socioeconomic diversity we see from drum corps non-profits comes in the form of alternate program offerings.  They cannot (or will not) make the DCI drum corps format financially accessible.

This same cost blindness then ripples through the related scholastic pageantry arts.  Then corps staff increasingly rely on these same scholastic groups, disproportionately from affluent areas, to provide experienced auditionees.

Jim had a certain corps director tell him that it was important that they had the ability to pay, stay, and play. That was the three major criteria.  

Edited by Terri Schehr

My fav part of the report is where more than 1/3 of the participants answered “prefer not to say.”

When that reaches 51% we’ll know we’ve turned the corner, rendering such reports meaningless. Almost there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

My fav part of the report is where more than 1/3 of the participants answered “prefer not to say.”

When that reaches 51% we’ll know we’ve turned the corner, rendering such reports meaningless. Almost there. 

Numbers are only that high on economic status questions though.

It wouldn't render the rest of the info gathering moot at all, especially ethnicity and gender. That will always be important and percentages that prefer not answer are much lower there.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Honestly, anything can be political as soon as a politician says it is... and certainly once two politicians start arguing about it.  

Don't forget the media.

19 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Numbers are only that high on economic status questions though.

It wouldn't render the rest of the info gathering moot at all, especially ethnicity and gender. That will always be important and percentages that prefer not answer are much lower there.

And my guess it's that high because a lot of students have no idea what their parents make!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1