Bluecoats 2023 Diversity & Socioeconomic Impact Report

In July 2020, we promised to create an annual report on the demographic and socioeconomic impact of Bluecoats programs, the diversity of our team, and the progress of our initiatives to advance inclusion and equity within our organization. This is our fourth year of building this report—you can view previous reports here. The data displayed […]

View the full article

The link in the article only goes to a single graphic of the first page of the report...

• Thanks 1

D.E.I. is political in nature. Doesn't this topic violate DCP guidelines?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

This should ultimately result in growing their programming. The Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra undertook a similar study 20ish years ago. Since doing so they have purchased their own facilities (it’s yuge!), increased their donor base exponentially, grown their programming to SEVEN! orchestras. Kids have access to programs as diverse as bucket drumming to an internationally touring orchestra and everything in between. 
https://myso.org/programs/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, denverjohn said:

D.E.I. is political in nature. Doesn't this topic violate DCP guidelines?

The forum guidelines prohibit "any reference to material considered political or religious in nature".  Note the words I underlined.  That means we should not add politics into a thread via reference. 

I believe that means if the thread is about a topic where drum corps and something political in nature legitimately overlap, then sincere discussion is allowed.  The moderators will weigh in if I am mistaken.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

This should ultimately result in growing their programming. The Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra undertook a similar study 20ish years ago. Since doing so they have purchased their own facilities (it’s yuge!), increased their donor base exponentially, grown their programming to SEVEN! orchestras.

These all fall under the business case for diversity work. Important. And they are not as important as the other justifications to those of us familiar or experienced in the work. Such as:

12 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Kids have access

This is the real stuff right here. It's called the fairness case for such work by Harvard Business Review and others.

So indeed, thank you for the example... and info on the fact that the study was done 20 years ago. Better later than never, drum corps. Some of us have really been waiting.

And also, it's not just kids in this case. If I'm reading the report accurately, Bloo acknowledges that they fall short in regards to gender and ethnic diversity in staff, leadership, and board. That will mean that recruitment and succession planning are also implicated. It will also mean that they'll eventually need to influence and encourage the groups they recruit from. Can't source what's barely there.

It also means they'll need to continue nourishing a safe space for those new recruits. I intentionally limit my exposure to PWIs at this point in my career because most companies don't know how to do that work.

Godspeed to Bloo. Not easy on paper, not easy in practice.

Edited by scheherazadesghost
  • Thanks 4

Can anyone explain what the purpose of this report is?  Because all I see here is three largely disconnected sections:

• survey results on demographics of the primary program
  • assertions made without supporting data
  • secondary programs incompletely referenced