Cadets and bankruptcy

And not only that, but the age of consent varies from state to state.  As the corps travels through state lines during the night, the age of consent may change several times, from 16 to 17 to 15 to 18.  I do not know what the answer is here.   If the boy is 18 and the girl is 17, they could be unwittingly breaking the law some nights in some states but not others. It appears to me that there probably aren't alot of corps members in World Class who are not of the age of consent,  but what in blazes do you do with Open and All Age?  I don’t know what the answer is.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Snagged a ladies polo.  I’ll be at several shows this summer and I’ll wear it as often as I can. 

22 hours ago, njthundrrd said:

PepWear owns the assets. 
PepWear is liquidating at 50% off the inventory that they have always owned outright and warehoused.

Guess I missed my opportunity for a maroon t-shirt; all that's left is the small size which I guess would work if I was cut like "The Rock". But I'm not & it wouldn't be a pretty sight.  I guess there aren't that many small folks. Everybody be big... 😁 

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

Sorry. Accidental repost. 

Edited by jwillis35

4 hours ago, LabMaster said:

What about kids who are not interested in, or do not have the ability to move to WC,  and wish to age out of OC?  You just say too bad kid, you’re too old at 18, 19?  Now go to a corps with a significant jump in time requirements and tuition. 

Good point. You'd probably have to allow OC to be 14-21

Let WC be 18-22 (23). If you're 17 but will be 18 before May 1 then you can march, and if you turn 23 anytime after May 1 you can still march

I'm not sure any of this stops the issues with predators, idiots, or even with bullying, hazing and many other issues. What it could do is really help OC corps in growth and popularity. And though the age limit for OC could be 21 I think most of the kids would be in the range of 15-17. 

It takes a great amount of oversight and knowledge to work with groups where the age range can be from 14-21. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Good point. You'd probably have to allow OC to be 14-21

Let WC be 18-22 (23). If you're 17 but will be 18 before May 1 then you can march, and if you turn 23 anytime after May 1 you can still march

I'm not sure any of this stops the issues with predators, idiots, or even with bullying, hazing and many other issues. What it could do is really help OC corps in growth and popularity. And though the age limit for OC could be 21 I think most of the kids would be in the range of 15-17. 

It takes a great amount of oversight and knowledge to work with groups where the age range can be from 14-21. 

As I said in SoA thread- many if not most youth sports leagues have minimum & age requirements.  A 16 yr old isn’t allowed to be in a T-ball league 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

As I said in SoA thread- many if not most youth sports leagues have minimum & age requirements.  A 16 yr old isn’t allowed to be in a T-ball league 

Thats a bad analogy as age brackets in youth sports are for size and skill differences. A 16 year old wouldn't play tee ball because tee ball is for 3-6 year olds and uses equipment that is way too small for a 16 year old. Those size and skill differences do not exist as much in drum corps. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Open Class (with age capped at 17) is for kids. 
Like Trix, but different.  

still run the risk at that level, and those corps arent as financially "solid" as several of the world class corps.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, craiga said:

And not only that, but the age of consent varies from state to state.  As the corps travels through state lines during the night, the age of consent may change several times, from 16 to 17 to 15 to 18.  I do not know what the answer is here.   If the boy is 18 and the girl is 17, they could be unwittingly breaking the law some nights in some states but not others. It appears to me that there probably aren't alot of corps members in World Class who are not of the age of consent,  but what in blazes do you do with Open and All Age?  I don’t know what the answer is.

all age would die. plain and simple. and amazingly, these issues only seem to mostly come out of world class corps. and all age has had underage members in them for decades. i'm sure it happened back in the day, but i remember rules being put in place 25 years ago at one corps about how adults and kids interacted

Edited by Jeff Ream

so in a few places i've seen online or a few chats i have had with trusted individuals, as i expected, more details seem to be slowly seeping out.

now please don't take this next part as victim shaming..i'm not. but it appears the victim filed several other lawsuits of a similar nature and didn't win any of them. i'm no legal expert, and i have no idea where to look, but a quick search on my end found none of them, but i am sure i'm not looking in the right places. i'm not a lawyer, i dont play one on tv, and i don't even watch them on tv.

why do i bring that up? did CAE's lawyers use this in their legal maneuvers? Were CAE's lawyers even experts in the field? i'm told attorneys that specialize in these cases were recommended to the board, and the board chose to go the route they did and play the odds. well it's clear that didn't work. was it trust? was it cost? i get it, good legal representation isn't cheap, but if fighting for your existence, i'd think you'd figure out a way to get experts in the field you're dealing with that has a good record.

it's apparently no secret it happened with the victim and the abuser. but that it was not a corps sponsored activity has bothered me from day one. Yes, the corps should have dismissed him. in fact, any corps admin at this gathering should have stopped it then. but i still wonder how liable the corps really should be for that? But again, that comes down to who the board had representing them. for $1,000 a month ( a number i've seen floated several places) i can't imagine you're getting Will Gardner or ALicia Florrick ( i have watched that show 2/3 times, hence how i know the names). 

But...this is a board that allowed Scott to be pushed out, and hired someone who it's publicly known lost in court over fraudulent charity issues. And gave that person more power on paper than Hop had. And how'd that work out? Well....that person fired a certified legend after issues over member safety and finances came out after the season. 

and the move to Erie...going hand in hand with the sports facility that as has come out over time wasn't always in the best graces of their city. 

none of my info came from CAE Board members, and i do not claim it to be 100% accurate. i wouldn't trust  anything a CAE board member said anyways based on my interactions with 2 of them. But the more that keeps coming out, the more I see that this board...well....didn't do their jobs. who cares however may MBA's or whatever else degrees they had, it seemed to be all about the loyal and faithful and maroon and gold. and as i see more and more seeping out online, in the end....lawsuit or no....it was going to fail anyway. and it seems if any of this is true, the lawsuit showed they couldn't handle it.

so while many wat to blame the victim...hell CAE did in their press release....i think in the end, the ultimate failure is on the board, who sat on a ticking time bomb that the lawsuit only got to exploe sooner than later.,

• Like 3

8 hours ago, rmurrey74 said:

I agree 18-22 or 23. 

Will never solve everything but at least handles the minor/adult relationship issue better. An 18 year member cannot have a relationship with a 17 year old member. 

Think back to your marching days and about how that dynamic has changed.  I’m not saying it’s wrong to have that strict line but it’s much different than what used to be acceptable

I honestly do not know the answer to this but… does the law forbid a 17 to date and 18 ? 

what the law in the US say about it? 

And what happen if 2x 17 are dating but one got his birthday before the other one while on tour? 

• Thanks 1