Cadets and bankruptcy

3 hours ago, Brian Tuma said:

Didn’t he have some sort of golden parachute he hand wrote which was written into his contract that the BoD rubber stamped? I recollect maybe reading that on here.

yup

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

If they did and not correct things, make it better , apply today's standards to today, we literally could do away with every corps. Heck we could do away with churches, civic groups, Scouts so on and so on. Should we pay for the sins of our parents or prove it stopped with them. Just a thought.

Survivors aren't likely to be a monolith that all want the things you're proposing though. The real question is: has anyone even asked them what they would want? Without protecting their outside assumptions?

I don't think the activity is anywhere near proving the sins of our elders have been halted though. Not even close.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Survivors aren't likely to be a monolith that all want the things you're proposing though. The real question is: has anyone even asked them what they would want? Without protecting their outside assumptions?

I don't think the activity is anywhere near proving the sins of our elders have been halted though. Not even close.

Your right as far as the activity is not close to proving anything but BOY has it changed and way more aware than the past. It has to start somewhere and needs to IMO. Is burning down everything without moving forward the answer , I guess that can be a heated debate.

9 minutes ago, FormerXyloWhiz said:

There is actually, theoretically, the tiniest of windows possible for the corps to come back at some point.

The bankruptcy does not end the case.  Just because the judge won't let them out as a Defendant doesn't mean they have been "found liable" so to speak for the past transgressions of the corps specifically as a legal standard going forward.  CAE could still technically prevail on this particular case and incident and be found not liable for it.  If the basis of that decision, as a judicial order takes it a step further specifically on the record declaring that they are not liable for the former orgs in any way, an astronomically against the odds revival has a possibility in the future.

That said, I highly doubt that's how it would go.  Far more likely that any CAE win would just find them not liable for the incident alone (there are decent arguments to be made here outside the legacy question).  It's even less likely I think that this thing ever makes it to a trial so such a thing could even occur.

So - it's still theoretically possible, sure.  Exceedingly slim chance IMO.

All of this feels accurate, though I'm not sure who would be counsel for them in court, since being behind on legal bills last fall was the first shoe that caused them to go on hiatus for this season. 

On 4/4/2024 at 4:55 PM, Jeff Ream said:

i remember at OC finals in 2002, at retreat they had age outs giving speeches, and the Cadets kids all sounded like brainwashed clones, saying they wouldn't be where they were without the corps and him. my group and people around us rolled our eyes. but the next 3 nights we all went ####### over the corps performance.

Now you mentioned that I taught someone who played Mello for several years there in the 90's. The experience changed him, but I'm not sure of it was for the better in some ways.

Comments about the "Spanish Gangsters" all the time (BD)... other comments I saw them make on YT in similar veins about BD... I sure as Hades didn't teach him that, who did? My guess is GH.

They ended up aging out with Crown because in that YEA period they desperately needed the right body on Mello, even though they were done.

Then they became another one of at least three people I know that worked for YEA for a year and ran. (Jeff also knows one of those three I know)...

I don't know what to think about that aspect of the Cadets. Most I personally know aren't that way at all, period. They're gracious individuals. A couple are rather full of themselves like that.

As for the end of the corps, it's like a Greek tragedy. It took 40 years, but alleged disgusting behaviors caught up to the organization. I was hopeful that the move to Erie under different leadership would build in a few years into something very special for the activity as a whole.

I can't say I'm sad, surprised, or shocked. I'm just thinking, this is what can happen when someone engages in unethical behavior and wrecks an organization in spite of any good people who were involved.

Edited by BigW

1 minute ago, Slingerland said:

All of this feels accurate, though I'm not sure who would be counsel for them in court, since being behind on legal bills last fall was the first shoe that caused them to go on hiatus for this season. 

Yup - many unlikely things would have to go exactly right, first and foremost of which would be current counsel to decide to finish out the case pro bono.

9 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Our alumni has tended to be of the mind of "we love the corps but Hop is a cancer that has to go" for a very, very, very long time.  If I had to bet, my bet would be that more of our survivors would be of this vain rather than "burn it all down."  Just my impression in my time amongst everyone.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, GUARDLING said:

Your right as far as the activity is not close to proving anything but BOY has it changed and way more aware than the past. It has to start somewhere and needs to IMO. Is burning down everything without moving forward the answer , I guess that can be a heated debate.

I think insiders would be surprised how few hardliners actually want it to burn. Do I know those folks? Yes. Do I care about them? Yes.  Do I agree that destruction is best?

If that's what you and/or others are still getting from the hardline approach I present here then that's protection, plain and simple. And, you're right, it's not a good place to start a debate from.

Further, you don't have to do what the burn it down crowd says... but listening to them might be informative. Possibly the only kind of informative that could lead to lasting solutions, even if they're tweaked versions of what that crowd presents.

• Like 1